It makes me nuts that we have to have signs to educate people about stuff like this. Accidents are accidents, but some parents can do much more to prevent them from happening. In our local pools, we have a 10-minute "safety break" every hour, in which everyone needs to get out of the pool. But what it really means is TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO THE POTTY NOW.

We are overly careful with our young kids. My 3.5-year old daughter is fully potty trained, but we won't take her in a public pool without rubber pants AND a swimmer on for at least another year. We don't want to be responsible for a pool closure.

One time at the Vero Beach Resort we saw this woman with a 1.5-year old child wearing nothing but a droopy diaper in the pool. We decided to be helpful and gave the woman an extra swimmer that we had in our bag. So while the kid is still submerged in the pool, she rips off the old diaper completely, and puts on the swimmer. Guess that was her idea of "Wash your child thoroughly, especially the rear end" using the public pool as a bath.

We will be going to the waterparks on our upcoming vacation, and I just hope that none of get sick due to someone else's carelessness.