Quantcast To launder, or not to launder...that is the question - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We pack less and do laundry about every other day...it's not a big deal to throw in a batch and hang out by the pool until done.

We bring our own detergent and dryer sheets also.
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We do our laundry mid-day while we take a break from the parks. The kids are in the pool and we are watching them and then the other adult goes in and out of the laundry room to watch for it. We do not have to pack as much. When we are there during the day it is in and out since people staying at the resort are primarily at the parks and the laundry room is not busy.

Post Thanks / Like

Last trip I did do some laundry late at night the night before we left so that we wouldn't have to do it when we got home. Just keep in mind that a LOT of other people also had the same "great" idea. I did do some in the early morning while the we swam w/ the kids in the pool. That worked better. We are going for 10 days this year and we are bringing one extra child that we didn't bring before, so there is going to also be more, so I think we will pack and do one wash while we are there.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

We have done it both ways, and I prefer to pack less and do 2 loads while we are there.

On our upcoming trip I plan on doing the wash the day before we check out and head onto the cruise. This way we have clean clothing for the cruise and I have less to pack. I am also taking 3 single use detergents with us. We got them free when we stayed at my mom's timeshare.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We always laundry as it lets us pack less. I do, however, bring my own detergent and softner (ravel size). It's cheaper, and we usually share w/our other family members. We find it convenient to do all of ours on an afternoon when the kids are napping and the DH's are usually @ the pool bar. We have so far lucked up and had the room to ourselves, or have gotten there and started before others have come in. So, if we have all the units to ourselves, we can usually get done in 1-2 hrs. (just about nap length).
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Lynn View Post
    We pack less and do laundry about every other day...it's not a big deal to throw in a batch and hang out by the pool until done.

We bring our own detergent and dryer sheets also.
    That is the way we go as well. Another post already had my other thought and that was the price of taking more than one suitcase per person now. I would rather do the laundry.

I stress the bring your own detergent and dyer sheets.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to WDW 4 times now. I did laundry on trip #2 and will NEVER do it again. It was summer so we stayed at the parks late and I was very tired so put off washing until the next morning. I got stuck at the hotel for a couple of hours doing laundry while my family was off enjoying the parks. Sure it was my choice ... and I choose never, ever, ever do laundry while on vacation again.

Post Thanks / Like

For a 10 day stay I would definitely take half of clothing items, especially pants/shorts and do laundry. Like you said with the add'l airline fees that are being charged, it is not worth it to bring 10 outfits. I would do the 2 day 1 pant rule but with different tops every day. Enjoy. 10 days is great.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

My BF and I always take one suitcase each and use one carryon.

We pack light and do laundry during the week. We stay at OKW and the laundry is right next to the pool near the building we always stay in.

We like to come back to the resort around 2:00 or 3:00 to swim before dinner anyway so we throw a load in then. It is nice to hit the pool and get all cool and fresh for the evening. You hardly notice that you are doing laundry if you are floating in the pool while it washes and dries.

We do this because we only want to take one suitcase apiece and still leave room for souvenirs. Plus, I HATE to be sweaty so I like to wear a fresh shirt to dinner and back to the parks in the evening.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Since it is just my DH and I we usually go for 9 or 10 nights. We NEVER do laundry. I'm on vacation and the last thing I want to do is something that I always do at home. I'm on vacation to relax, have fun and get away from what I do at home. We pack enough clothes for everyday and a couple of extra, just in case. Since it's just the two of you I recommend not doing laundry.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I did laundry on our last trip while my kids swam in the pool; I found this to be very convenient. There are fewer clothes to pack if I’m going to do laundry. I walk with my own power detergent and dryer sheets. The dryer sheets keep the clothes smelling nice and fresh, as I pack them between the clothes in the suitcases. I pack the detergent in a zip lock bag; I’ve never had a spill.

I’m travelling on American Airlines and it’s going to cost me $15 dollars for my first checked bag and $25 for my second bag. There are five of us travelling this time. I want to spend my money at Disney not all with American.
    Mommy to a Prince & a Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Since it is just the two of you, I'd say just pack enough for the trip. We have 6 in our family, and I am constantly doing laundry at home. I refuse to do it while we're on vacation. Last time, I packed enough for 8 days with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I never do laundry on vacation! I go on vacation to take a break from chores. We pack plenty of shirts and undergarments and have never had a problem re-wearing our shorts and jeans.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

We pack enough to last us the whole time - we are never at our resorts long enough to swim, let alone do laundry

As for bringing dirty laundry home, I just pack us each a garbage bag or two and we fill them with the dirty laundry, tie them, and put them back in our suitcases and that keeps the dirty clothes from contaminating any clean ones that may be left in the suitcase.

Then when we get back, we just haul the garbage bags right to the laundry room. It makes the suitcases lighter going up the stairs
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do a few loads of laundry one night for our family of 5. I carry detergent and dryer sheets from home, and rolls of quarters. I fill up a couple of washing machines, and enjoy some time at the quiet pool right next to the laundry room.
    BUT, the dryers aren't so great at drying(like most coin operated machines). So I hang up damp shirts to dry in our room, and run everything else a second time in the dryer.

It isn't the way to save money, but I hate taking suitcases of dirty clothes home, and having smelly laundry dumped all over the laundry room.

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I pack more than enough for our trips. I easily take enough clothes for 20 days on a 10 day trip!

I refuse to do laundry on vacation. I also refuse to cook or even prepare a microwave meal. I won't even pack snacks to take along. I want to be waited on while on vacation.

We are going for 13 days in October, and I can guarantee that I'll have enough clothes for twice that, and I change at least 2 times a day. I have to take dressy clothes for most of our dinners, too, so that means at least 6 dresses, and a bunch of dressy evening tops/pants. PI will be wasted this year, so I won't have to worry about dressing for that, so that helps a little.

Also, since I throw almost nothing of mine in the dryer, I would have to hang all of my stuff around our room to dry if I did do laundry. Ugh! I'm also a fanatic about doing laundry, and separate EVERYTHING, so I would probably have to do 5 loads to make sure everything is washed properly.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

SFTrny Guest

Plan for laundry. We plan to bring two thirds of the clothes that we need and then do wash on as much as we can half way through. It is so much nicer to not worry about clothing. We plan our laundry night at FW for a night at the cabin with dinner early. After a few loads, we are ready to go and hit the parks for a last late night view.

Post Thanks / Like

I do laundry every trip at least once. It is normally on an early night when the parks close early or we are just relaxing. I mostly wash just the light stuff, no heavy clothes since they take to long to dry, but undies, t-shirts, that sort of thing. Always bring your own detergent. The little boxes at the hotel will cost $3 or $4 for the same thing you can get at home for $1. I suggest the little washing cubes, so no powdery mess in the suitcase and no liquid mess either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgdisney View Post
    I've done laundry in the middle of every trip we've made. I've always done it by getting up early one morning and relaxing by the pool while the laundry does its thing and the others sleep in.
    Great idea to do it this way!!!I usually go at night,around 11:00 but that sounds even better,thanks for the tip!!
    Disneyland 1969-1988
    ASM 2000
    ASM 2002
    ASM 2003
    ASM 2004
    Pop 2004 (50's)
    Pop Oct.2006(70's)
    Pop May 2007(50's)
    Pop Dec.2007(60's)
    Pop Oct.2008
    PORS May 2010
    Wilderness Lodge 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive and like to leave space in the trunk for souveniers...we learned it works for us to take about 4 changes of clothes and do laundry a couple of nights during our stay....this is how I work it in, my son always wants to swim at least twice during our stay....I put the clothes in, take him to the pool, have him come out while I go back and put them in the dryer and then go back let him get back in the pool and in 45 minutes or so, go get the clothes and go back to the hotel....we always do this at night-it takes about 2 hours...and I do laundry on nights we aren't attending one of the fireworks displays.....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: