Quantcast what not to wear at WDW? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When you stand shoulder-to-shoulder in line for 45 minutes, you easily notice every detail on someone's clothes. If the "designs" you mentioned are offensive, remember you'll have people VERY close that will definitely be able to see it.

As someone else mentioned, black is very hot to wear. My DH complains about it when he wears a dark-colored Grumpy shirt. So if you're uncomfortable with what she wears, that may be a polite excuse to get her to wear something else.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Your sister sounds like she wears the same sort of clothes as me - I admit, I am an "alternative" looking person but I deeply love Disney and would never intend to offend someone in the parks. I don't own offensive t-shirts - but a lot with tattoo inspired motifs, comic book characters and of course Disney stuff but mainly Tink and Nightmare Before Xmas stuff.

I often wear things with skulls on in fact I am wearing two items today purchased from Disney. I have a POTC film t-shirt bought from the Disney Store, that just has the skull and cross bones on and a Tinkerbell hoodie where she is sitting on a skull bought from the Emporium on Main Street.

If Disney sells items with skulls on I don't think it can be considered as offensive to wear it in the parks.
    Previous Trips
    1998 - Offsite
    1999 - Offsite
    2003 - Offsite
    2005 - All Star Movies
    2007 - Pop Century
    2008 - Pop Century
    June 2009 - Pop Century
    Next trip ... September 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

i think shell be fine with what you described, but she may get hot
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

I usually wear tanks in the parks because of the heat. I try to stay away from too dark of colors because they get really hot.

As far as the skulls....last year I bought a t-shirt in MK that said I LOVE JACK and it has skulls all over the front of the shirt.

Like several others have said as long as it doesn't have any offensive language or nudity it should be fine.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say which month in spring, but assuming it's going to be warm and pushing humid...

Tell her to try to avoid dark colours. This is from someone whose entire wardrobe is based around black. It looks good on me and it's easy to coordinate. However, it can be rather uncomfortable with the sun beating down on you for hours in the parks. Even I lighten up to a few pairs of khakis at WDW in the heat and stick to jewel tone tops. Pastels, white and I are not friends. *LOL*

Recommend that she not wear jeans or denim shorts in the heat. Same thing. They attract and retain heat and are very heavy. Take a pair or two for evenings if she wants, but overall not a good choice for heat and humidity.

Beyond that, just use common sense. If she's going to get wet on a ride, white probably is not the best colour to wear--or any light colour with bright or patterned undergarments.

Beyond that, tell your sister that you love her no matter what she wears. However, she'll be much more comfortable in lighter weight and colour clothing, but she certainly should bring a couple of her favourites to wear if the weather is cooler or in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Default RE: skulls

Skulls are fine.

They sell "skull" t-shirts and Jack Skellington merchandise and other Nightmare themed merchandise outside the Haunted Mansion.

They sell lots of skull merchandise at the gift shop outside Pirates of the Caribbean.

My husband bought a tshirt with a huge skull and crossbones on it that says "The beatings will continue until morale improves" at the POC gift shop last year.

Gothic fashion of all types is welcome in the parks as long as it's not too short, skimpy, or vulgar. As a matter of fact, a lot of Goths in California hold a "Bats in the Park" day at Disneyland every year.

Swear words and "naughty" shirts with sex jokes should be better be left at home. If you wouldn't want to have to explain the shirt to a four year old, please be assured that neither do the four year old's parents.

Have fun. Everyone is welcome in the Magic Kingdom.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

She will be fine in her current wardrobe. I try to wear something very "kid" friendly especially at the MK. Lady & The Tramp or Belle or Tink!

DH has the Pumbaa shirt - "It Wasn't Me"! He wore it on our honeymoon and REFUSES to wear it now because of all the comments he gets - joking comments of course!

OF COURSE IT WAS HIM!

#35 - SSR 05/16
    34 trips
    2015 SSR
    2014 GFV & CBR/ToT 10mi!
    2013 DWL & POFQ
    2012 Bdwlk & SSR
    2010, 2011 OKW
    2009 BLT & SSR
    2008 SSR & AKV
    2007 SSR 2x
    2006 SSR 2x
    '05 DVC!SSR/DCL
    '03,'04, '07 POP
    '98, '99 ASMo
    '95, '96 2x, '97, '98 ASMu
    '89-'94 Off

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree with the others that pirates are "in" now so skulls are fine. I'd just go with the rule someone mentioned about not wanting to explain it to a kid! Also avoid high heels! It amazes me every time we go how many people we see in high heels and other uncomfortable looking clothes (especially shoes or Sunday-style clothes)! Its a theme park--be clean and comfy!
    şoş Tiffany şoş

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

they sell shirts with skulls on them at the potc gift shop dont they?

so i think she will be fine.
    Trip count 55 =]

Dead men tell no tales

"Now some person I don't even know reminds me there's no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography allowed in my dream." - Ellen, Universe of Energy

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    The one thing I can tell you what to wear is nice clothes. I am not saying Sunday best but geez some people walk around in rags! I was astonished by what some people chose to go out in public wearing especially while on vacation. It's called pride people.
    I thought the exact same thoughts on our visit a couple of weeks ago. Some of the clothes people were wearing should have been in the garbage. If you can afford a trip to Disney, then you should be able to afford clothes that are not worn, torn and dirty.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

no Shrek or Spongebob please save those for the OTHER place
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by KineGirl View Post
    no Universal themed clothes
    It really irks me, although I think they are cute & would love to have them for my DS's, The Thing 1 & Thing 2, ect. shirts & other Universal themed clothes just are a thorn in my side in the Disney parks! Don't ask me why, I guess I'm just defensive of WDW!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRollerMom View Post
    Once when I entered MK there was a young man in front of me wearing a t-shirt with a swear on it. Well he didn't make it but half way down Main St. before a CM told him to turn his shirt inside out.
    Yay for the CM! They have tough jobs & they are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by beachezncream View Post
    they sell shirts with skulls on them at the potc gift shop dont they?

so i think she will be fine.
    My oldest DS 12, is so into anything with skulls, it's just fashion, not anything morbid! Tons of stuff with skulls in WDW! Younger DS 10 bought a cool looking cap in The Chapeau Shop on Main Street that had a skull on it just a few weeks ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    I thought the exact same thoughts on our visit a couple of weeks ago. Some of the clothes people were wearing should have been in the garbage. If you can afford a trip to Disney, then you should be able to afford clothes that are not worn, torn and dirty.

I know it's very judgemental on my part, but I do look at some of these people & how they are dressed and present themselves to the world & wonder if they could afford this trip, including some at the resorts!, then it seems that they could dress with a little more care! We're not dressed up, we're all in blue jean shorts or khaki's, DS's in basketball shorts, & our "nicer" (usually alot are new bought for the trip) t-shirts.

The women in heels? OM Gosh, can they really be comfy? Not me, Gotta have my tennis shoes, as much as I love my Crocs, I wore them to DTD & then to Epcot the next day & finally got a blister on one toe! Maybe other people aren't as sensitive to these things as we all seem to be? Or maybe they really didn't stop & think about walking 13 miles in heels! Not my business, really don't care, maybe I'm just jealous & wonder how the heck they do that?
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

There used to be a website out called badshoe.com (it has not been updated in years) and it has pictures of some bad looking shoes spotted at WDW.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

I would never where heals in the parks, hey I do not even wear them now walking around day to day. I see some of the guests wear clothes that are way to short, the waists down around their knees so underwear shows, heeley (do not get me started on that), and other shirts that have two meanings with sayings on them all which I feel unacceptable in an area with young kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree about the heels.

My sister wore sandals with a heel last year and they really hurt her feet (despite me telling her repeatedly not to wear them).

She then spent most of the rest of the day complaining till I made her buy crocs and wear them!

It was that or push her in front of BTMR
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say stay away from stilettos.

We were at AK Tuesday and I saw a girl with platform stilettos and wondered what on earth she was thinking with that get-up on.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    The one thing I can tell you what to wear is nice clothes. I am not saying Sunday best but geez some people walk around in rags! I was astonished by what some people chose to go out in public wearing especially while on vacation. It's called pride people.

Exactly what I was thinking! It shocks me what people wear!

What also really gets me is women walking around in less then family friendly outfits! Hello ladies! Its WDW not a night club!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't wear short skirts. Climbing in and out of ride vehicles + short skirts =

I saw some teenage girls in March that were absolutely dressed to the nines in clubbing dresses, heels and acessories. They were obviously freezing (it was only 50 degrees), and it was really windy so they were trying their darndest not to flash other guests. I'd save the trendy stuff for DTD!
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to wear some nicer clothes to the parks in the past few years. Since I am into photopass and taking pictures, I want something nice to look at. I used to wear Old Naby tanks and Sofee (cheerleading type athletic) shorts, but it is just getting old. I now try to wear some nicer shorts, but the tanks are still ok to wear with them.

Wal-Mart (at least a new one by my house) is selling some nice Disney tops and cute tank tops for cheap. I've picked up some shirts from there, for WDW and my Disney cruise. I will go back and get some tank tops, since I hate sleeves when its hot!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like to wear skirts to the park. Mind you, they are comfortable, knee-length A-line chino skirts or ankle-length linen skirts. They are very comfortable and cool, so getting a draft works in your favor. I wear them with a plain tee and either sneakers or Danskos (Monika sandal). I'll also bring a light sweater for indoor restaurants and cooler nights. That's my uniform for WDW.

As for shorts, some people should definitely look into long shorts. I never eat cottage cheese, but if I did, a walk through the parks in the summer would put me off it for life.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: