Quantcast WDW pregnancy tips

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW pregnancy tips

On our next trip to WDW DH and I are hoping to be pregnant. We are traveling with our three DDs (11, 4, & 2). I was wondering what tips you all have for pregnant moms traveling the World.

I have heard people say that they rode that safari in AK while pregnant. I've also heard people say that they rode Soarin'. Would you (or whomever you were with) do it again?

What if any other rides did you avoid? (Other than the obvious thrill rides).

Any other tips would be appreciated. I am anticipating being approximately 3 months along, give or take a month (if all goes according to plan).
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think Soarin' would be okay but I'd probably avoid KS. If things work out as you plan, check with your OB for any restrictions. General advice would be: rest frequently and keep hydrated. Good luck!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I road Soarin' at 9wks preggers and at 26 wks preggers. Would do it again.

I would consider KS (personally) depending on how far along I was and how I was feeling. But, I live on a ranchette and ride my ATV at almost 32 weeks. So I may be a little braver than most pregos.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I was 4 months along when we went. First off, I should say that it was my third child and I always had very uneventful pregnancies.

I went on everything except the "thrill" rides. I did do the safari, and the teacups (my hubby thought I was crazy for that one) and the grand prix cars (there's a warning on those because of the bumping, but I felt it was pretty minor)...

It's a personal choice. I felt like I knew my body, and the rides, well enough to make good decisions. Since you're an experienced mom, you should have a good idea for you too. Follow your instincts.

I had a great time when we were there for that trip. I walked around with a water bottle and took a few breaks during the day for an ice cream or a show...it worked out great. I kept up with my DH and two DS's!

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes!
    • First ever trip - 1993
    • Honeymoon Trip - CSR - 1999
    • DS First Visit - ASM - 2003
    • DS#2 First Visit - ASSports - 2005
    • NExt Trip: DD First Visit - ASMu - 2008 w/Free Dining!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    I am anticipating being approximately 3 months along, give or take a month (if all goes according to plan).
    This is funny. If all goes according to plan? If there's anything about babies I know, it's that NOTHING goes according to plan.

Anyway, my wife was 5-6 months along and she went on K-Safari, Maelstrom, Tower of Terror (no, no, just kidding). She stayed off all the rollercoasters and simulators (Star Tours), but didn't mind a bumpy ride on other attractions. Don't push the limit, but don't stay off of everything fun either.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I was 5 months pregnant on my last trip and I hope to be pregnant on my next one. I rode Soarin' and Maelstrom, but not KS or any of the thrill or simulator rides. Soarin' only becomes a concern late in pregnancy for emergency evacuation purposes. My only recommendations are to wear comfortable, supportive shoes, keep hydrated ( know where the bathrooms are) and be well-fed (I just felt like throwing that one in there), take frequent breaks, know your limits and have a great time.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    This is funny. If all goes according to plan? If there's anything about babies I know, it's that NOTHING goes according to plan.
    Good point! Although we've done pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    My only recommendations are to wear comfortable, supportive shoes, keep hydrated ( know where the bathrooms are) and be well-fed (I just felt like throwing that one in there), take frequent breaks, know your limits and have a great time.
    I've already got my sneakers packed (just kidding)! Think Dole Whip will hydrate me? I can certainly see that as being a craving! Wonder if they will mind DH running like a mad man to the stand just as the park closes? Unfortunately at about 5 minutes pregnant I can tell you where every bathroom in a five mile radius is located! LOL!! What an excuse to eat in the World! I can't wait! No worrying about the calories!

Thank you all so much for the tips and keep them coming!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I just though I would update everyone. DH and I just found out that we are indeed expecting again!!! This will put me at 5 months while we are in WDW. We are SO excited!!!

Soarin' here I come but I am thinking that I am going to sit out of KS just to be on the safe side. Why take the chance? We'll be back again next year and I can ride it then.

Any other tips or sugesstions would be great. DH is already planning his WDW gifts for the new baby. Like we need anymore Disney toys!!! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know specifically what rides WDW advises pregnant women to avoid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    Does anyone know specifically what rides WDW advises pregnant women to avoid?
    Ride restrictions...
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that they included Soarin' in the list but not KS. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

We went my wife was about 6 months along with our first child and we went again when she was about 8 months along with our second child. In both cases she did just about every attraction at all the parks including some of the more mild roller coasters and never had any problems.

I know I am speaking from the strictly male point of view here but I personally feel that Disney, and all parks, go overboard in what rides they suggest pregnant women not ride. I understand that they do such things for legal reasons but in most cases all those warnings do is scare people.

Bottom line is if you feel OK then do what you think is appropriate for you and your child. Also use some common sense. For example, Splash Mountain only has one big drop and unless I am not remembering correctly the boats don't have any type of safety harness. So just how dangerous can it really be? That is the kind of common sense that I am talking about.

Of course, common sense also goes the other way as well. If you are spotting, having early contractions, having blood pressure problems, etc. that are related to your pregnancy then you should probably not be on vacation much less riding rides. This is the time when it is most important to be asking your doctor about whether or not you should go.

Also, just remember that your doctor has the same concern about being sued by you as WDW or any other park and as a result will almost always tell you to stay home if you are more than about 3-4 months along.

Post Thanks / Like

Is KS the safari??? I thought there was restrictions on that as well... hmmm.

I think it is most of the spinning and dropping and really rocky things. I figure if I wouldn't let a 2 or 3 yo on it, then maybe a pregnant woman shouldn't go either. I went on most things, just not roller coasters. I would probably do soarin' if I were pregnant.

I have been to WDW twice pregnant, once with both my children. The thing I didn't like was really large crowds and all the pushing. No one really pays attention to your belly when they are mostly concerned with leaving the park.

The good thing? I know where every single bathroom is now Very helpful with a now 3yo!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW when prego with both my boys. The first time I was just a few weeks and rode many things, just not the too crazy things (TOT, BTMRR, SpMtn, etc). It was July then and I gotta tell ya.....WATER, WATER, WATER is your BEST friend!! Take it everywhere with you......and lots of it!! Staying hydrated is the most important thing if you ask me....next to being rested!

This last time we went in January and I was 4 mo and we had a difficult pregnancy (we almost did not go on vacation at all but DH insisted we were going!). Even in January I found myself drinking tons of water AND frequenting just about each and every ice cream cart!! I had fruit bars alot of the time, but I did eat a Mickey bar here and there!! I bench sat and people watched alot of the time, but two of the rides I did go on were Soarin and the safari! In fact we did the safari twice and I had no problems.....I had more problems on IASW!! I said to DH on the "launch" that it was more bumpy than I remember!!! That and the rocking motion of the boat (even the little bit it did) did me in!!

Did I enjoy vacation -- yeah, but not like I usually do -- bench sitting is not my favorite thing, but I did it and while I did that DH and DS got to do alot of things they have not been able to do (my DH is in the military and was away for a while, so DS just asks when he's going back all the time.....) Anyway, it was very enjoyable to see them reconnect the way they used to be. I took more breaks than we usually do (DS and I go all day long and just grab a cool snack and bench sit for a few minutes (15-20) and then go again....we hardly ever go back to the resort!

Bottom line -- you know your body and you know your limits.....also ask your OB about what he/she thinks about what you can go on and what you can't.

You'll have fun no matter!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona