Quantcast Need some advice from experienced mommies...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some advice from experienced mommies...

Ok... my husband and I have been planning to take our 3 year old to WDW in the fall. But we just found out we are expecting #2 in late October!

My question is this: should we try to go at the beginning of Sept, when crowds are low with school starting, or should we wait and go in Feb with a 4 year old and 3 month old?

DH and I have been to WDW many times, so I'm not particularly worried about "over-doing it" if we go in Sept. And I like the idea of getting a special trip in with just our firstborn. But am I asking for huge trouble, traveling at 34 weeks???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent a week and a half enjoying the park in the April before my second child was born (mid May.) Being an experienced WDW vacationer, I paced myself well. Still, I did not prepare for / expect the exhaustion. My sons are not that far apart in age, but mommy-nesia had allowed me to forget just how weary I became.
    We had a wonderful vacation, but with exhaustion and swollen feet -- there were times I had to end up renting / using a wheelchair. It worked -- riding throughout Epcot with my older son perched atop his brother to be. As long as you think you will be well, I'd say go for the September trip -- having the chance to have the special memories with your older child. Travelling with an infant will take much of the attention away from #1 - both yours and the "isn't he adorables" of strangers. Babies do get many ooohs . . .
    Congrats!
    I had great fun at WDW when mine were little. So far, I've found no wrong age to go

When in doubt, go for the become extremely wealthy and do both trips option

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand your wanting to do the trip with the firstborn but I would caution you about travelling so late in pregnancy. you should have a conversation with your ob/gyn before making any plans, you might not be able to travel that late in your pregnancy.
    I would personally try to postpone it until Feb. At 34 weeks you might not get to ride on anything with your firstborn. It can still be pretty hot in Sept and that could affect you as well.
    But ultimately it is your decision with input from your doctor.
    Have a great pregnancy and trip whenever you decide to make it down there.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you speak with your doctor...and do remember it's extremely hot and humid...with rain most afternoons (although great for nap time)...crowds are really low, and air conditioning everywhere...just take into consideration YOUR comfort level...If you can swing it...I vote for very early in September...it will be a special trip for the family before your new addition arrives...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is to double check with your doctor. i know that many women travel late into their pregnancy. In fact, my aunt traveled to WDW when she too was pregnant. I think she was only about 6 -7 months along, but she did it. Making sure that you take things easy, rent a wheelchair if you start to feel tired, and most of all stay well hydrated. You don't want to have any pre-term labor while away from home. Also if you do decide to go make sure you travel with your pregnancy records, just in case! Whatever you decide, have a great decision. Oh, and on the new addition to your family.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is to wait until February. IMHO, 3 months is actually a good age to travel with a baby since you'll be settled into some sort of routine by then, but feedings are still pretty simple since they're just nursing or drinking formula. I understand about wanting that special time with your firstborn, but with child swap and the fact that your new baby will (hopefully) nap a lot, your 3-year-old should still receive plenty of attention. Plus, it will be a nice thing for him/her to look forward to if there are some "new sibling attention issues."

As a FL resident and mother of an October baby, I can also attest to the fact that it is still VERY hot and humid here in September, and that a late term pregnancy makes the heat even harder to bear. That is also right in the midst of hurricane season, which presents two issues: the possible disruption of your trip, and the fact that there is some research out there that indicates a correlation between a significant decrease in barometric pressure and the onset of labor. (Did I mention that DD #2 was born in our 4-hurricane year of 2004?) I'm not trying to scare you, but my OB definitely felt there was something to the theory based on what she saw that year.

Good luck with your decision, and have a great time whenever you decide to go!
    BLT, CR; OKWX2; BCX5; YCX3; Poly; PORX2; WLX4; PopX3; DolphinX3; ASX3

HGVC I-Drive, Seaworld & Parc Soleil, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Gaylord Palms, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay

Post Thanks / Like

I went to DLR when 7 mos pregnant and we had a good time, but I was exhausted and DLR is MUCH smaller than WDW. Because of that, we postponed our WDW 2008 trip because I'm pregnant with #2. We'll go with DS4 & baby 6 mos instead. So, obviously I vote for going with the baby.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I traveled to DW when 7 months pregnant with DS...and when 2 months, 4 months and 6 months pregnant with DD. The trip at 7 months was in September and I do remember the heat and humidity being particularly bad to me. We always took a break in the afternoons for a swim and a nap and I always put my feet up to rest. The trip when I was 6 months pregnant with DD was in June...never again will I go in June. Too crowded, too hot and too humid. The crowds in September shouldn't be too much for you. Your 3 year old will appreciate the afternoon breaks as much as you will. If you're feeling up to it, and your doctor ok's it, go and enjoy that special time with your older child before he has to share you with a sibling!
    1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans FQ
    1998 - Wilderness Cabins
    2001 - All Star Music
    2002 - Dolphin
    2003 - Coronado Springs
    2005 - Polynesian
    2007 - Port Orleans Riverside, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Springs
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2011 & 2016 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I would wait. We just went at the end of September last year and the heat was unbearable for me and I was not pg. I would also caution you because I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks with my daughter due to mild dehydration. I think that your chances of dehydrating that far along in that weather are substantial. Talk to your doctor but I would wait if you can.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest son was born six weeks early... I don't think I'd want to travel to Disney that late in my pregnancy, knowing how tiring WDW can be.

Traveling through WDW with a small baby wouldn't be that bad, as long as you realize that you'll have to use baby swap a lot.
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

i can't imagine going with a three month old who is still up at night needing feeds..... but I am one who was just exhausted those first 6-8 months.
    Have you thought of moving up to May???? that would be my choice.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't travelled to DW with babies, but I've been pregnant during a hot humid NY heat wave...and I've been to Disney in early Sept... (They feel the same!)

I would wait. But, I would wait till the next Sept. or Feb. I would go when baby was a little older. But, thats just me. The thought of travelling with a 3 month old seems like a lot to me. For a big trip like that I know it was easier once my kids were closer to or older than 1.
    Laura

April 2008 Contemporary
    August 2007 Pop
    May 2006 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

IF your doctor says you are OK to go that late in your pregnancy I'd say go ahead as long as you know that you will be tired!!

We went in January and I've been having a difficult pregnancy (plus I'm "old" now as far as being pregnant!) and let me tell you what a different trip it was!!

First, I told DH he had to come the entire trip this time b/c DS was 5 and when I normally take him we are up and out of the room by 8:30 and do not return until LATE -- we go all day long without a break (a nap break that is, but we do bench sit for breaks at the parks). This past trip I did much more bench sitting a less riding and still my legs swelled up and i was SO tired I could not believe it, but I did it without a wheel chair (altho one day at AK I almost caved in and told DH to get me one, but we left instead and he and DS went swimming).

It will be a slower trip for sure, but if you think at all you can handle it, do so before the next one comes.

I'll be going again in December with a then 6 mo old and I'm a bit nervous about how I'm going to manage with an infant and a 6 y/o (but I'll have my sister there with me and also DH will be there for the weekend).
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, vote for wait.

I went this past Sept/Oct while 28 weeks preggo. The heat was horrible - I had to rent an ECV because my feet and back hurt too bad after the 1st day in the parks. Plus, I found out after I had booked the trip that I had a complication of the pregnancy (complete previa) that made it that I could have had to cancel. My doctor couldn't give me the OK to go until 2 days before leaving (thank goodness, the previa resolved). Too stressful. The only reason that I did go was that I wanted just 1 trip with my DD before she wasn't an only child. Well, I was too pregnant to do everything she wanted to do anyway and often just felt sore and tired. I would still say we had a great trip - but, in hindsight, I could have waited.

We just got back from a trip with my 12 week old - and it was wonderful. She enjoyed the warm weather - napped in her stroller. I enjoyed taking things at a slow pace - and my DD loved having Daddy all to herself for rides - and that Mommy didn't care if we rode IASW 5 times in a row.

Congratulations on your new baby!
    Last edited by LilBugsMa; 02-25-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: dates
    Mel

Fort Wilderness - and Off property condo - 1980ish-2006
    First Trip Home MNSSHP Oct. 06. - OKW
    07 SSR - Jan and Preggo and the Poly - Oct

Baby's 1st trip - OKW Jan 08
    Land and Sea - Wonder and POFQ - Sept. 08
    SSR - Happy New Year! Jan 09

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one who had some complications w/ pregnancies so I would hesitate. I agree that your dr. will have the best answer as far as your condition. My first two are 2yrs apart less a day and I had an irritable uterus. My first I had placenta previa so traveling wasn't an option.
    Esp. if using the same doc he/she will know how your body reacted the first time things like b/p and other chemistry, location of the placenta, how many centimeters your uterus was when you delivered the first time. (my doc said I delivered at 33 cen. for each baby that my body can't hold any more than that). I don't think my doc would have approved of me traveling to WDW that late since I delivered at 38wks for 2 and 37 for the 3rd (but I was in labor for 26hrs w/ my 3rd so I had plenty time to get home ).
    I've been to WDW twice w/ 3 mos. olds and had a great time and yes I agree that it's great bonding time before but it can also help after b/c the toddler will get more attention and can do more than the baby thus giving the older child a little more attention. I went once w/ my sister and her 3mos old and my 3 so we traveled w/ 6 kids aged 11- 3mos with no dads. I must have been a sheep herder in another life b/c I don't have a problem w/ a large group of kids.
    Since I've always bf my babies I didn't have a lot to pack w/ formula etc.
    If you lived in Fla or fairly close and wanted to go for a day I would say enjoy! but IMO you could enjoy it more 6 mos later!
    But hey it's Disney so I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless of when you choose.
    Best of luck and a healthy pregnancy to you.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those women who do really well early in my pregnancy... but towards the end I tend to have problems. I delivered both baby #2 & #3 at 36 weeks! So I'd say wait!

And as a Mom who just returned from a WDW trip with a 3 month old... I'd have to say it was a perfect time to go! I'm a breastfeeding Mom... so I'm sure that made it easier! Little Jennie was an angel... she loved being in the front carrier... checking everything out! She got to go swimming for the first time at WDW! ...dressed up as a mini tinkerbell for the P&P party! ...held hands (or should I say paw) with Koda! And lots more memories I'll never forget!
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

This is a tough one! Every baby is different and you have no way to know if the new baby will be an easy traveler. I'm an October mommie. We postponed our usual Feb trip this year because I decided I'd rather not take a 3 month old baby. Turns out it was a good decision for us. DS was pretty colicky for the first 3 months and I don't think that would have made for a fun Disney trip. However, it's sooo hot in September. If you do go I would recommend getting the wheelchair and taking LOTS of breaks. I guess my vote would be to wait and go when baby is older.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scootch713 View Post
    Have you thought of moving up to May???? that would be my choice.
    My thoughts too. We went in Mid May (Mother's day actually) in 01 and it was not too hot and not too crowded. I would not travel in Sept--too close for comfort for me. If you can't go before, I'd vote for waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm I would go either way lol. I think I would vote more towards waiting. We went for our first FAMILY trip when my children were 4,8 and 3 months... we had no problems with the baby at all. We went on most of the rides with her except of course roller coasters etc. In a way it would be a nice first trip with the kids to include the baby to be. It could be an excellent reward for being such a great brand new big brother!! Have fun whatever you decide!!

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've only traveled to WDW as an expectant mother and not an actual mommy. I was there a year ago during my 20th week and I had a great time. My only pregnancy complaint was that my feet hurt after walking a lot. I suffered more from the cold that my husband gave me on the drive down than anything else.

I plan on getting pregnant again soon, but I'm delaying it so that I'm not at WDW late in pregnancy. We're going this December and I don't want to be there any later than 32 weeks, even though I felt great during my third trimester (except the indigestion) during my first pregnancy. So hopefully I'll be there when I'm between 16 and 32 weeks.

I theoretically could have traveled to WDW with my DS when he was 3 months old, but that's only because he was 9lbs when he was born and already sleeping through the night since he was 2 months old.

That being said, I'd recommend delaying your trip until 2009. Early February is a great time to go, but you might want to think about late April-early May. In late April, #2 will be about 6 months old and at the easy age to take care of. Although it's not Value Season, I've heard that it's not very crowded.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: