Ugh! Our DD5 had her first dental x-rays and they discovered 8 cavities. And here we thought we were doing so well with her dental care! Our family dentist referred us to a pediatric dentist. My oldest DD has been to her, so we feel confident that she'll do a good job.

Here's the deal. She gave us two options. The first would be to try to do the fillings just numbing the area - like a normal visit. They'd do this in two visits because there's 4 cavities on each side. DD5 has those really close together back teeth. Or, we could do it all in one visit with a little bit of a sedative. This is not something that would knock her out at all, it would just make her a little sleepy. They would then numb both sides and do it all in one visit. DD5 would be out of commission for the day though because they said the sedative (a liquid she'll drink) can linger. So no going out and doing anything afterward, and we have to keep a close eye on her, like watch her in the bathroom, etc.

On the one hand, I could totally forsee the regular experience going very badly. It's possible she'll fight them on it. She's very dramatic and emotional when it comes to discomfort. And two visits could be a real challenge. But for all I know, she'll be a total trooper!

On the other hand, I just hate the idea of the sedative. That could be my own anxiety talking, I know. But I worry about it, and I worry about how she'll do having to wait for her whole face to defrost and what kind of an effect the whole experience will have on her.

Has anyone else been through these types of appointments? Which did you choose? Why? How did your child do?

Help!