Quantcast How scary is "It's tough to be a bug?"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How scary is "It's tough to be a bug?"

DH has arachnophobia and freaks out whenever he sees a spider. I've read reports that "Tough to be a Bug" is very intense. How scary is it? He said that he'll go on but if he's going to spend the whole time freaked out I don't want to risk it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

as much as i love ITTBAB, i'd have to advise you stay away. there is a portion where non-film spiders drop from the ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not real big on spiders myself, but I had no problem with it. There are a couple of surprises, but I wouldn't really call ITTBAB "intense". Basically, if your husband could handle the movie then this show should not present a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

The "stinging" bees and (especially) the bugs running under your seat were MUCH worse to me than the spiders. It's a hard call. I think it's "intense" for small children, but not bad for adults. The spiders do momentarily drop from the ceiling, but it's quick and he can close his eyes for that brief moment. They don't drop too close.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I think little kids might be scared because of the dark but anything that relates to the bugs look fake.
    Moe
    1991 CBR, Honeymoon
    2004 POFQ
    2005 BC & Poly
    2006 Yacht Club
    2007 Yacht Club

2009 Boardwalk Inn
    2010 Boardwalk Inn
    2011 Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, I'm not spoiling anything here.
    It gets dark in the theatre, and they (big spiders) drop from above, but they're high enough above people's heads so they're not a direct threat. The smaller kids all start screaming and crying, so that's where it gets intense, but the "attack" doesn't last very long.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar with my mom when I took her because she is deathly afraid of snakes. People don't understand that just looking at them gave her an anxiety attack so I had to go to the boards and find out every ride that had snakes. We couldn't do Indiana Jones (or even walk through the kiosk), The Great Movie Ride, Honey I Shrunk the Audience as well as a couple of others. I understand that the spiders don't effect most people, but I would say not to do it if he has arachnaphobia.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

i'll amend my earlier statement with it depends on how he deals with it. it's an irrational fear for the most part. i suffer from extreme acrophobia and vertigo. i can make myself weak just thinking about places i've been, forget actually being there. i won't touch a stepstool unless i have to and even then, it's touch and go.

all that said, within the past few years, i've come to terms with it in a controlled environment because i know it's irrational. i don't trust myself to sit in the balcony somewhere, but if it's an attraction where i don't have the option to fall off, it's not something i concern myself with anymore. although i did feel that way until i went on the rides at the stratosphere. that had me second guessing everything. evil, evil attractions.

but if it's a genuine fear of spiders, as in even looking at pictures of them is terrifying, i wouldn't bother. if anything, you could sit at the opposite end of the attraction for a quick exit if need be, but i really wouldn't bother.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

The bees actually stab you in the back when you least expect it! IT HURTS!!! Stay away, lest ye be maimed!
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

I would keep away until he's older. My DS is going on 16 and he still won't go back because it scared him so much the first time (when he was 10!). But it's fun and I love it. There are spider effects. That's probably all you need to know to make the decision.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

how old do you think her husband should be?

Post Thanks / Like

If he has an issue with the movie, just have him take off his 3D glasses or close his eyes until it's done...just remind him that's not real
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be honest at the cost of my own dignity. I saw ITtbaB with two friends. One hates spiders, one does not. I personally have no fear of bugs. What I don't like, however, is things jumping out at me in the dark. It doesn't much matter to me what the thing is. So I spent most of the show cowering in my seat, clinging to my friend who hates spiders, and screaming. I wasn't actually scared, obviously--controlled environment and all that--and we were also laughing the whole time, but it wasn't overall an enjoyable experience for me or my spider-phobic friend. We wouldn't do it again simply because whatever cuteness is part of the attraction was outweighed by effects that we didn't enjoy. My other friend liked it a lot and would definitely do it again.

I'd say, though, that unless your husband is deathly afraid of spiders, you should give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that he'll close his eyes for a few minutes and decide not see it again.

Post Thanks / Like

You can close your eyes all you want, but the bee sting HURTS!! It doesn't smell all that great either
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

what are you guys talking about a bee sting hurting?? should I not let my kids do this??
    Last trips: August 06, May 07, November 08, June 09
    Next trip: May 21-30, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    You can close your eyes all you want, but the bee sting HURTS!! It doesn't smell all that great either
    A stinky hurtful bee sting effect? wth?

Post Thanks / Like

I say stay away. I think that was the one ride we did not enjoy one bit.

My DLB-9yrs, threw his glasses off once he seen the spiders. For the rest of the show, he had his eyes closed and was on the floor...even after I pleaded with him to get up. He missed the bee stings and everything, but told me we were never doing that again.

Mine and DBF's backs were sore from the "sting", and I would say if I had a fear of bugs...just the intensity of everything going on all at once..it is quite overwhelming for those who have a fear already. The spiders didn't look like REAL spiders, but they were everywhere!

It could be alittle intense for your DH if his fear is already bad.
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to the bee sting, I haven't felt it since the very first time I saw the show because I now intentionally avoid being "stung." When you hear the bees buzzing, just scoot forward in your seat and lean forward. You'll know the bee segment is over when the big spiders drop from the ceiling. So, don't let the bee sting stop you from experiencing the attraction because it can easily be avoided. As for everything else about the show, there is already good advice given by others that should help you make up your mind about whether or not to experience it.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    how old do you think her husband should be?
    Oh, ha! I read it as DS. I was thinking little one. Right, well, maybe he should just skip it altogether. A lot of people really just don't enjoy the effects of this one. But considering he is an adult, I think he could handle it. I might try it once. It is fun and I think he'll know that it's all special effects.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
    If he has an issue with the movie, just have him take off his 3D glasses or close his eyes until it's done...just remind him that's not real
    That isn't always enough to assuage fears! There are so many effects in the theater itself that are scary, too! On our last trip, I actually felt a little panicky when all of the fog fills the theater during the spider part.

I have one of the bravest children in the world when it comes to rides at theme parks, and she HATES ITTBAB! We will not be going to see it again any time soon.

Mar 2017 ASMU
    2016 OKW
    2014 BCV
    2013 WLV
    2012 POFQ/ DCL!!
    2009 POFQ; Sept. DL
    2007 POFQ; Dec. DL
    2004-3X CSR, Pop Century, POFQ/Poly
    2002 YC
    1999 BW Villa
    1996 Dixie Landings
    1994 GF