Quantcast Changing Kili Safaris Theming?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing Kili Safaris Theming?

The objective of Kili Safaris is to see the animals in their natural habitat; however, the theming is based on saving "Little Red the elephant from poachers". Do you ever foresee Disney changing the theming/storyline to something new & different?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I had seen rumors that they were planning on dropping the whole Little Red part of the ride but no confirmation that I know of.
    Rob Hinkle
    28 Visits to the Magical Vacation Kingdom of Disney World and counting!

Next Trips -
    December 2010 - WDW - Contemporary
    January 2011 - WDW - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

My feeling is that they may modify the storyline, but there will still be a storyline.

What sets Disney apart is that the attractions tell a story. Removing the story completely would be un-Disney like.

Post Thanks / Like

well, YOUR objective is to see animals. Disney's was trying to inject some education by talking about the threat and danger of poaching, while adding a bit of excitement.

but i have heard it's being dropped as well.

Post Thanks / Like

When the AK first opened, Little Red didn't make it at the end. They changed it so that he did.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't particularly like that part, so I wouldn't mind to see it go. There should still be something, but that just gets old after the first ride or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the whole Little Red thing is cheesy, but that is one of the things we love about it, it gives us something to make fun of.

Additionally, they are trying to sort of educate guests about poaching, albeit using a cheesy emotional device like a baby stolen from its mother (which, by the way, is pretty inaccurate, poachers would be after the adults for their ivory, they would more than likely just shoot or abandon the baby). Nothing like a good tug at the old heart strings to make you want to help out, too bad it comes off as more of a joke.

There could be another reason for some of it too though. Most of the areas where the animals are located are a little farther away from the majority of the park, presumably to somewhat isolate the animals from the sounds and smells of all of the people. It takes a little bit to drive to an area where you get to start seeing animals, but if I am looking at the maps and Google earth correctly, the area where the shaking bridge and the truck with Little Red are located is getting closer to the park again. It also appears to be close to some of the backstage areas. Perhaps they could not put any more animal pens in this area due to its proximity to the main park as it would spook the animals, and since they didn't want the last 5 minutes of the ride to be remembered as nothing more than riding in a truck they tried to come up with something exciting and memorable.

They may have been slightly off target with the exciting part, but as for memorable, we are all talking about it aren't we?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgaribaldi View Post
    When the AK first opened, Little Red didn't make it at the end. They changed it so that he did.
    No, that's not true.

LITTLE RED was ALWAYS in the back of the truck.

That area even had a live CM standing there to comment on it.
    The truck/animatronic was always there.

It was BIG RED (still never seen) who met with an untimely fate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    No, that's not true.

LITTLE RED was ALWAYS in the back of the truck.

That area even had a live CM standing there to comment on it.
    The truck/animatronic was always there.

It was BIG RED (still never seen) who met with an untimely fate.

I stand corrected ( actually I'm sitting ) but I did know someone didn't make it Thanks for the help

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the original storyline had you drive past the corpse of Big Red killed by the poachers. The happy ending was Little Red being saved. Eisner thought this was too shocking and the corpse was removed and the storyline changed slightly. It is my understanding that this version was never scene by guests it was changed before park opening.

There is a rumour that the poacher story will be scrapped and no word on what the new story will be.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I love how the original ending involved a fake bloody dead Big Red on the side of the road. Someone was real smart on thinking that wouldn't send the children on the ride into a fit.

For those not in the know- Their aim was to imitate the story of Bambi and had to change it last minute to make the mom's death implied...like it is in Bambi. You don't really see the Mom shot.

I have heard the rumor of them "tweaking" the story soon. Something to do with they feel the story isn't making the impact it should.

However, again...rumor. I am not sure how true it is about them thinking about changing the story. Makes sense why they would though.
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

Post Thanks / Like

It's very possible that I am not remembering correctly, but I could swear that the last 2 times we were on the safari Wilson came over the radio to say that Big Red was OK but that he needed our help to find Little Red. If I am correct in my recollection, it would be very difficult to imply that Big Red is being used as pool balls and piano keys since Wilson said she was OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huzzah4 View Post
    It's very possible that I am not remembering correctly, but I could swear that the last 2 times we were on the safari Wilson came over the radio to say that Big Red was OK but that he needed our help to find Little Red. If I am correct in my recollection, it would be very difficult to imply that Big Red is being used as pool balls and piano keys since Wilson said she was OK.
    I just watched the video footage that I shot about 2 years ago. At one point, they say that Big Red is wounded and they need help finding Little Red. After forcing the poachers into the trap, they say that the warden has Big Red and she'll be fine. Immediately after that is when Little Red is seen in the back of a truck.

I've never liked the poaching storyline. I know that Disney's purpose in having it is to show poaching as negative, but I feel that it's too cheesy to be effective. Plus, showing a fake elephant in the back of a truck at the end of the attraction is anti-climatic after we've already seen several real elephants. I hope that the poaching section of the storyline is changed, but I have no problem with the rest of the spiel.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: