Quantcast Mishaps or Strange Occurrences on the Rides

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mishaps or Strange Occurrences on the Rides

I was curious if anybody had any stories of mishaps or strange occurrences on the rides? During our last trip My son and me were in the 3rd or 4th seat on Aerosmith. As we came out of the last loop I felt a draft on my right side. Then I noticed the door on the side was open and it was flapping back and forth as we were speeding through the rest of the ride. When the Limo pulled in a Cast Member asked me if the door just opened. I explained what happened and they pulled that Limo off to be checked. I didn't realize there was a door on the side. The next time we went on and I looked at the Limo, apparently there is a door in the 3rd or 4th seat only. I would assume it is there to make it easier for someone with a physical disability to get into .

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty!The two most memorable:

Carousel of Progress got stuck on a scene and we had to sit through three replays of the same finale scene before we were able to leave. (the door wouldn't line up, and I guess they didn't us to "emergency exit.")

On my last trip, late in the day, Space Mountain cars had a minor collision, extremely unusual apparently, that resulted in ride evacuation and shut down, plus EMTs coming in to tend a hurt ankle. We were in line, not on yet. They gave us special passes to come back and ride any time the next day. And surprisingly, we did. I thought it might have scared my kids off SM, but no. We got to see the lights on as we made our way out.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We were on spaceship earth last Feb of 06 and we stopped around where the guy is chisling away at the statue, well we stayed on there for 30 min and then they decided to get us off, well when we stepped out of the cars, we were told not to get near the props because the floor were weak there??? Kind of made me scared. But the stairs are located in the middle of the sphere and they are brightly lit and there is a bunch of them! Kind of neat in a way!
    71-78 Fort Wilderness
    78-07 Various resorts
    Nov 08 Pop Century
    Oct 30-Nov 8-Pop Century(
    28-March6th Port Orleans reschudled trip!
    Oct. 23rd-Oct. 30th POP CENTURY
    May 4-11 2014 Pop Century
    1 in 50 Children will be diagnosed with Autism and I am proud to say one of them is mine!

Post Thanks / Like

We rode Splash Mountain first thing in the morning once and they were having trouble with the computers on the ride. The kids were pretty little and we were on the ride an extra 30 min. at least. After about 10 min. DS said he needed to go potty and shortly after that DD said the same thing. The running water made it worse. We kept stopping before the big drop while they rebooted the computers. It was awful. We could see the drop and kept inching towards it, but took forever getting there. It is bad enough anticipating it, but to have to look at it for so long, you start to think that maybe you don't really want to go down it after all. I didn't care for the song too much on that trip.
    2007/2008-Pop Century
    2005-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004-Port Orleans Riverside
    2003-Port Orleans Riverside
    2002-Contemporary Resort
    2001-All-Stars Movies
    2000-All-Stars Music
    1998-All-Stars Sports
    1997-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Last year was our first trip to WDW and we had all decided that Haunted Mansion was the first ride we wanted to ride. My DD is not an adventurous soul but she was really looking forward to this ride!
    All was going well on the ride until we got into the graveyard scene and it stopped. My DH and niece were in the doombuggy in front of us and it was turned slightly so we could barely see each other. After about 20 minutes of just sitting there and not knowing what was going on, DD (7) started getting a little panicky. It was dark and the music was playing over and over and we were right by the head that pops up....over and over and over....I have to admit it started grating on my nerves after awhile. Her panic rose and rose and rose and then she had to go potty! After about 15 more minutes of panic stricken leg crossing, the lights came on and a CM came along and asked us to walk off the ride.
    It was pretty interesting seeing it all with the lights on and trekking through. We made a beeline for the bathroom.
    I thought for sure that DD was ruined on rides for the rest of the trip, but she rode other rides that night adn then bravely tried HM again the next day and we rode it about 5 more times during the trip!!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

December 17, 2006 (I still have my trip planning Excel file, so I can be sure of the date)...

We were on POTC, when we heard the "Remain seated, Pirates of the Caribbean is experiencing technical difficulties..." announcement. We were stuck just in front of the bridge in the burning village scene. After a few minutes of that, we noticed that the lights were coming up and the various voice/sound tracks were cutting off. I guess they hit the kill switch or something.

Anyway, after 40 minutes, a cast member magically appeared from one of those door I'd never noticed and told us that they were evacuating the ride. I felt so bad for the cast members that had to put their waders and boots on and get in the water and push us to the nearest emergency exit!

A lot of people were kinda annoyed, but I thought it was awesome! Backstage is always cool to me. lol

We did get those Fastpasses that are good for any ride in MK; we used to them to avoid a 2 hour wait for Splash Mountain on our next day in MK. POTC was closed for several days (does anyone know why? We never found out.)

It was open (thank goodness!) when we went back (but it didn't open until that evening). I think it was the 21st (we hadn't planned on going that day). We waited in the line and got to the ramps that lead down to the boats and we heard our favorite announcement again. We never did get to ride the whole thing. I was okay with it, but the friend I was with had never seen the new additions. I was bummed for her. But we got 2 more FPs. lol
    Favorite trips:
    Citrus Bowl with the Pride of the Southland: 12/2001
    Pop Century: 08/2004
    Pop Century: 12/2006
    Pop Century: 05/2007

ș0șShannonș0ș

Post Thanks / Like

We were stuck on splash mountain. After the big drop, but before the last room. We sat there for 20 minutes. Thank goodness we weren't soaked, or it would have been uncomfortable!

As we ended the ride and were about 3 logs from the exit queu, the ride stopped. No one (cm's)wanted us to move, but we were against the cement sidewalk and eveyrone wanted out. After about 10 minutes, I had just had it. I had to use the restroom, so I got up with my family and left. Then, all of the other logs around us got up and left. Must have been about 5 or 6 logs worth of people. The CM's were mad. I just really had to use the restroom!
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

We sat through almost an entire showing of Mickey's PhilharMagic without sound. It was quite interesting to say the least
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Back in October I was on Test Track. It had been having sound issues all week while we were there. I decided to hit up the ride while my wife waited. Wouldn't you know it, it e-stopped during the uphill slalom portion.

We sat there for 40 minutes in complete silence and darkness. Then the lights started popping on and a CM started to evac us all. We got to walk just about the entire ride backwards to a stairwell that dropped us off at the exit.

It ws interesting as they were very poignant about not stepping on the actual track. We had to step over it to get out.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be alot of stories about Splash. I have one to add. A few years back the log stopped about half way thru the ride. We stuck inside by the fish that jump in and out of the water. After about 25 mins of hearing the song and the fish splashing water into the boat a CM came by and told everyone need to exit the boats. They took us out a back door in the backlot of of Splash. It was pretty cool view. Luckly the Spash was up and running a few hours later.
    10/08 SSR
    05/06 POFQ
    10/02 CBR
    3/00 DxL
    98 DxL
    96 Offsite
    95 ??
    Not sure of the rest

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this counts or not, but I found it unusual...

We went to WDW 3 years ago and to the MK on my birthday. It was myself, wife, and then 15 month old daughter. It was my birthday and I wanted to ride Splash Mt. but obviously a 15 mo cannot ride that so I went on myself. I was in the boat and we were just getting ready to go up the first hill before you enter the indoor part of the attraction when a woman in my boat stands up, yells something at her husband like "you didn't tell me I'd get wet" or "I'm not getting wet"... something very much to the affect that she didn't want to go down that last hill... grabs her daughter, and steps off the boat onto the walkway! Well, didn't you see that before you got on the ride?

So the ride immediately stops and a voice comes on telling her not to move. She sat down and stayed there with her daughter until a CM came and took them through a back door. I glared at her the entire time. How dare she ruin my birthday ride!

Her husband and other child stayed on the ride. I would have too if my wife (who I love!) were to do something like that. How ridiculous!
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

well for us it happened on the Haunted Mansion at the scene where the crystal ball head is, we got stuck there for 30 min as well and although it was nice and air conditioned, after about 3 minutes that scene got pretty annoying, so now everytime we go on this ride and get to that scen we kind of get a chuckle out of it

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

well the only time i can remember getting stuck was on living with the land, we just sat there staring at the catfish
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

We get stuck on Pirates ALL the time, but the most memorable breakdown was on my very first trip to WDW.

I rode Star Tours with the lights on. Evidently, the CM forgot to flip the switch and everybody sat there looking at each other during the ride. We got off and told them the ride had malfunctioned, and they let us get back in line right away for proper ride in the dark.

Post Thanks / Like

We got stuck on Splash. We were halfway down the big drop and gravity broke down.
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Accident

Last December we were at MVMCP and wanted to ride Dumbo (one of our favorites). Since the line wasn't long, we got right on a cute Dumbo (complete with Santa Hat). When the CM went to start the ride, the button wouldn't work. Right at that moment, they started the fireworks over the Castle, and we had an unobstructed, front-row seat!!! It was incredible!!! We sat there watching the fireworks for about 5 minutes before they got the ride going. When we finally lifted off, it was as if we were amongst the fireworks. In fact, once in awhile, a burning cinder would fall close to us on the ride. We will definitely never top that Dumbo experience!!!
    Waiting does not seem long once it is accomplished.Old Saying.

Feb '98, POFQ
    Nov '98, Car. Beach
    Mar 2000, All-Music
    Oct '01, Cont.
    Jan '03. All-Music
    Nov '03, Royal Plaza
    Dec '04, Pop-Cent.
    Sept '05, All-Sports
    Jan '06, POFQ
    Dec '06, WL
    Sept '07, AKL
    Apr. '08, Hilton/GF
    Dec. '08, GF

Post Thanks / Like

We rode Star Tours in complete darkness once during Star Wars Weekends. The video never came on so it was just motion in the dark. Even the Storm Trooper who rode with us seemed confused. We got to ride it again afterwards when we told the castmember what happened.
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace șOș

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

Post Thanks / Like

In Jan 07 we got stopped on Splash for about 1/2 hr (reading this thread, this seems to be a common occurence) anyway, we were about 6 logs from getting off, could see the loading/unloading area but couldn't go anywhere - now I know how those people on Jet Blue felt.

Mishaps: I think this will qualify - my DS was telling me this story last night at dinner.

His High School teacher went to WDW last week during our Spring break. Teach was at BB waiting his turn for Summit Plummet (working up his nerve) the rider in front of him went down and uncrossed their legs part of the way down - Ugly, nasty compound leg fracture. He didn't have to chicken out since they obviously had to close the ride, but he said it was one of the scarier things he has seen. YIKES!
    MamaCatNV
    Married 19 yrs Mom to:
    DS 17 & DD 8

POFQ-1/1-1/9/07- No More NYE for Awhile
    ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 - NYE
    ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 - NYE/Turn of the Century
    DL lived near too many visits to count

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2
    1. 2001 MNSSHP Haunted Mansion stopped in the ballroom scene for 30 min. and it was pitch dark only the sound. At first we thought it was part of the fun being Halloween but soon figured out it was a malfunction.....Also on HM in 1987 my brother and I where getting off the ride and his shoe lace got stuck in the belt and shut the whole ride down for a few min.

2. Carousel of Progress got stuck and we watched the same scene over and over...
    Feb. 1988, Jan. 1991, Oct. 2002, Feb. 2005 all off site

Feb. 15-23, 2008 All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Last September we got stuck for about 20 minutes at the very end of POTC - right where Captain Jack is sitting in the treasure room drinking rum and singing. It was OK at first, but after 20 minutes of "A Pirate's Life For Me", we were all ready to get out of there! We just barely made it to our ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: