Quantcast Is VMK for Kids?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is VMK for Kids?

Hello,

My son loves playing Club Penguin and recently tried Toontown, too. As you all know, these are paying sites. I have no problem paying 5.95 a month for a site that is safe for kids but I am wondering about VMK since it is FREE (right?). Is it good for 10 year old kids or not?
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi -- I have a 10 year old son that really enjoys VMK. The only thing that annoys him is that he often has girls asking to be his girlfriend (virtually speaking). He just says no thanks and moves on. I have never felt it was unsafe, though and play it myself

And yes, it is free. There are a lot of people here on intercot that play and some have kids that play. I know my son would be happy to show your kiddo around vmk if they could meet up in the game.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

It is a totally fun, free, and great game for 10-year olds. If you read the Help section, they mention about shaping VMK to fit 8-14 year olds

However, like in every online game, people still ask for virtual dates or "dictionary dance" to try to curse in the game. Luckily, there is a report system where you can message VMK staff and moderators about problems like these, and also CL (Community Leaders) that help give new players (and old ones!) advice. For me, it is a pretty safe game, because the dictionary doesn't allow any curse words, or numbers (so that people don't give out their phone #'s). Even the dictionary dance words were taken out.

If you want us Intercot-ers to play VMK with him, just let him put "WDW Inside Out" in his signature and he can hang out with us
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Post Thanks / Like

I always think this is a loaded question, because some people seem to have problems with people asking if they're taken and that sort of thing. But my daughter hasn't had any problems like that. My young daughter and I both love vmk and I think it's a pretty good game for all ages. I have had to go over with her a few times what is appropriate for her to discuss on the game, though. Once she got banned for talking about having a baby! She doesn't play the daycare stuff anymore, but when she was a little younger she loved that aspect of the game.
    Sonja

Spay and neuter your pets!

MiSSdiZZY Guest

i have a younger sister who is 8 and another younger sister who is 10 and another sister who is 12 (i'll stop there) but yeah itd great for kids i started playing when i was 11, and my sister who told me about VMK started when she was 9.. so yeah its good for kids. About the "taken" thing.. its just weird. But yeah i did do the taken thing when i first goined. (i used to want to be taken by varcity-LOL before i knew he was 7 years older than me) yeah this was way back in my guest days.. The point is, its a great game for kids!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiSSdiZZY View Post
    About the "taken" thing.. its just weird. But yeah i did do the taken thing when i first goined. (i used to want to be taken by varcity-LOL before i knew he was 7 years older than me) yeah this was way back in my guest days.. The point is, its a great game for kids!
    That just cracked me up dizzy!!

Now that is my one big issue but as someone who is, lets say in their mid to late 30's , having some virtual kid who is probably MY kids age asking if I was taken, creeped me out. Thankfully my siggy there put an end to it!
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

VMK is defintiley a kid-friendly space for your son. My whole entire family plays, my parents, my little brother, my little sisters...and I! The fact is, we're all kids inside and that makes VMK lots of fun! As people have posted before people do virtual "dating" but VMK is working hard to stop it. I think that you should have no problem with letting him join the site, it's uber fun! =P For me, I really like it because my family doesn't get to go to WDW very often since our family is so large and it's hard to pay for plane tickets, so this is a great option! It's a lot like accessing all of Disney's theme parks from home! You get to meet new people, and all the people here on Inside and Out are always nice and welcoming to the group. I give it SEVEN THUMBS UP (do I even have that many?) Anywhooo, my point is you SHOULD let him join!

<3<3<3
    Red
    (NOT Lil Red!!)

Post Thanks / Like

You should let him join. VMk is great fun. But like everyone said, he should steer clear of the "taken" stuff. But overall it's a very fun game.
    A llama? He's supposed to be dead!

(starting last year...)
    Feb 08- 4 days at Saratoga Springs
    Apr 08- 6 days at Old Key West
    July 08- 10 days at Beach Club Villas
    Christmas 08- 6 days at Beach Club Villas
    April 09- 2 days at Universal Studios Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, VMK is totall for kids. The only thing I would watch for tho is it does seem to be a bit of a "pick up" place. The "girls" are constantly asking the boys.... "do u like me?" "will you go out with me?".... stuff like that. We have all learned that the "IGNORE" button is a beautiful thing.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

LittleDragonErin Guest

Is it for kids? We're all on it, aren't we? (Specifically JP.) 'Nuff said.

Hee hee!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: