Quantcast Hershey, PA - chearp, clean hotel?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hershey, PA - chearp, clean hotel?

Hello all again,

We are planning an overnight stop in Hershey, PA, to do some of the activities, and to break up the drive from Toronto to Virgina.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice, cheap hotel, not too far away?

We don't need anything fancy, since it is just one night, and we'll really just be sleeping, but I want something clean and safe.

Thanks for your help!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Hershy a few times but have always stayed onsite which was on the expensive side. The hotel was nice but not outstanding (for what it cost). Hershy Park is another nice clean park. You won't be dissappointed. Alot of fun rides. The chocolate factory tour and store is nice also.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any benefits to staying on-site at Hershey?
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    I don't remember any to tell you the truth. There may be a shuttle bus but we had a car. It's very close to the theme park but other than that I would say no.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We spent 3 nights at Hershey in July 2005 and stayed at the Springhill Suites (Marriott). It was just down the road from the entrance to the park. We have 4 children, so this was an economical choice for us, since 1 room has sleeping space for 6. Breakfast was included, and pretty good. If you only need space for 4 or less, you can probably get something less expensive.

If you stay on site at Hershey, they do have shuttle service and you get into the park 1 hour before opening. Only a couple of portions are open early, but it is still a nice perk.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I did see the Travel Channel is going to re-run there special about Hershey soon.

Have a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at a really nice Best Western just a couple miles up the highway. Room had a nice fireplace and it was around 80 bucks a night. As soon as I can remember the exact location I will post it.
    1999 AS Sports
    2000 AS Movies
    2001 Offsite
    2003 Offsite
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 POR
    Feb 08 Offsite Vacation Home
    Sep 08 POP
    Aug 09 AS Sports
    Feb 10 Nick Hotel
    Aug 10 POP

Post Thanks / Like

We go to Hershey on our Disney "off" years and we always stay at a small, family owned motel called The White Rose Motel...

They are minutes away from Hershey, they are located right off the main highway.

This place was just right for us - clean, inground pool, CLEAN & comfortable room with great, comfy beds and a VERY attentive staff - they own the place so they want to make sure you are happy!

It's not a commercial chain, which is what we liked about it.

We went in the thick of the Summer (July) and paid around 100 bucks per night.

We have also tried the chain hotels and found them to be not very well kept (IMHO) as far as cleanliness goes. As far as the on-site Hershey Hotel and Inn - these are extremely OVER PRICED accomodations which repeatedly get very mixed reviews - a friend of ours reported that his families room at the Hershey Hotel had a moldy odor and was completely out-dated and he paid close to $350 per night! EEEEK!

A good place to see reviews is tripadvisor - they will give you the good the bad and the ugly of all hotels/motels in the area!
    WL Cabins - May, 2002
    Offsite - New Years 2004
    BWI - May, 2007
    POFQ - March, 2010

Edna "E" Mode: "I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    If I remember correctly, you get into the park an hour early, and you have the opportunity to book a character breakfast (additional cost).

We've been for a weekend the past two yeatrs, and are planning our visit for this summer as well. We booked the Hershey Lodge the first year (very expensive, but nice), because we thought that would be a one time trip.

Last year we booked at the Best Western Hershey, literally across the street from the Lodge, just as nice and the Lodge, and about half the price (the lodge gives you chocolate bars when you check in, and housekeeping leaves them for you, too, which is a perk BW doesn't share. You'll probably be buying tons at Chocolate World, anyway!)

Oh, the BW has a zero-entry pool, too, but DH says the Lodge might, too...
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGoAgain! View Post
    We go to Hershey on our Disney "off" years and we always stay at a small, family owned motel called The White Rose Motel...
    Here is some more love for The White Rose. That is my official hockey road trip motel when I make it to Hershey. The place is clean and the staff is wonderful. They are right on Chocolate Ave. about five minutes from the Hershey Park/Chocolate World/Giant Center area. They also have pretty good cable television for a motel (my last visit it was pretty similar to basic cable not the ten or 15 channels you get at a Marriott). If you do stay there check out the Gingerbread Man for dinner. It's a few minutes from the motel. The phone number is 717-533-9876.
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Clay Ransone
    Here is some more love for The White Rose.
    So glad you feel the same way! Thanks for giving better directions ....

Another super place to eat is the Country Faire Restaurant located just down the road from the motel (the staff at White Rose can give you better directions than I...)

We ate breakfast and dinner here and enjoyed every meal - the portions are huge and the service is impeccable, the restaurant itself is SPOTLESS... give it a try! Enjoy
    Last edited by HereWeGoAgain!; 03-13-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add quoted poster
    WL Cabins - May, 2002
    Offsite - New Years 2004
    BWI - May, 2007
    POFQ - March, 2010

Edna "E" Mode: "I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now."

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Hilton Garden not too far from the park. It's just off of HersheyPark Drive. I would think that it's very nice. We live too close to stay (about 30 min) in a hotel, so I can't say for sure.

If you're looking for a beautiful hotel and are willing to spend some cash, look into the Hotel Hershey! Have a chocolate spa treatment while you are there!
    Mindy

'79, '83, '85, '87, '89, '95, '98~Off Property
    2006~Polynesian
    2007~Just for the weekend!!
    2009~Wilderness Lodge
    2010~Hilton DTD
    Next up . . . Poly, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindyMouse View Post
    If you're looking for a beautiful hotel and are willing to spend some cash, look into the Hotel Hershey! Have a chocolate spa treatment while you are there!
    I second the spa!! I treated myself to a belated Mother's Day gift on our first trip...I visited the spa for a sugar scrub and a chocolate body wrap--absolutely fantastic!! Expensive, but worth every penny!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We live about 2 hours from Hershey and go every year around Christmas (Fun time to go!) and some times in the late spring. We've stayed at a few places. One place we really like was a place call, I think, Spinners Hotel/Motel. Not too expensive, free continental breakfast (although that's not really all that special), and nice rooms. We liked it, but we're not all that picky and are usually looking just for inexpensive.

Good luck!
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We go to Hershey every year and always stay at the Hampton Inn in Grantville. It is about 6 miles from the park but it is a quiet, easy ride to get there. This Hampton is cheaper than the one in Hershey itself and is beautiful. It has a nice indoor pool and a great breakfast.
    Lisa "Pudge controls the weather."

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Hershey Lodge (not the Hershey Hotel). It was less expensive. We also used our AAA and got a discount. You get a discount on the theme park tickets plus you get a coupon booklet that saves you money on attractions. With the convenience of using the free shuttle plus the other discounts, it was well worth staying at the Hershey Lodge at the AAA rate. In fact, I think it ended up being cheaper than staying "off property." Happy planning. We had a blast there.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your route- the is a best western near route 81 (near harrisburg). When we went down to VA, we stayed there on our way back.
    you can check best western's web site. Their hotels are always clean & simple, and safe. The one we stayed at had an indoor pool, so it was nice to take a swim after a long day on the road. The cost was around $80.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: