Quantcast Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

Here are some links to photos I took from the monorail of the Contemporary North wing destruction. You can see that the end that faces Bay Lake is completely gone except for the frame.

Last edited by Figment!; 02-16-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Changed title from “destruction” to “demolition”
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad and exciting at the same time.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I may have missed something. How did the resort get damaged?
    Mommy to a Prince & a Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kaliepooh View Post
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. I may have missed something. How did the resort get damaged?
    By a demolition crew

Disney is tearing down the North Wing to replace it with the a new section of the resort for the Disney Vacation Club.

Working titles for the new section include "DVC @ the Contemporary" and "Contemporary Suites".
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad and exciting at the same time.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. While I know that this is "progress" I can't help but wonder if we'll ever be able to afford The Contemporary again.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

Thank you much for the pics! I too and excited and a bit meloncholy about the change. I guess off with the old and on with the new.

Post Thanks / Like

Refresh my memory please, when is this project suppose to be complete?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Refresh my memory please, when is this project suppose to be complete?
    20-don't worry about it

My guess is a minimum of 5 years...I'm gonna guess that the place opens in 2011...just a guess. It's quite a large undertaking...and I'm not entirely sure that the demo of the north wing means they'll be building a tower immediately...from the demo permit that was leaked to the internet- it appears they would have to do alot of ground preparation to support a structure as large as the one proposed (a 14 story tower)...so this is definitely a long term type project

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate this project. For multiple reasons ...

First and foremost, I've had it with the DVC up to here. There's too many of them already and now they're ripping out existing resorts and converting portions of them to DVC. I don't like DVC, I don't want DVC, and now DVC is making it harder for me to stay in resorts I want to stay in.

Two, I'm sick of them spending every nickel that goes into the parks building new DVC units. How about you not waste MILLIONS of dollars on this project, leave the poor Contemporary alone, and build a GOOD NEW ATTRACTION!!

We get these lame-o new things like the Laugh Floor Comedy Club and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin on Steroids (i.e. Midway Mania) and meanwhile they sink hundreds of millions into ripping down a perfectly fine resort and building new timeshares. How un-Disney like.

And lastly, I think some ugly, 14 story tower built on that spot is TOTALLY going to ruin the carefully crafted asthetic of that area. The original Imagineers went to great lengths to properly position the Contemporary so it could be seen in the background of Tomorrowland. Now we're going to have some big, ugly tower smack dab in the sightline.

I think this is one of the worst decisions they've ever made and I hate it. I'm actually getting to the point where I hate DVC, too. Disney World is turning into some kind of ghastly time share resort like some classless place in Vegas or something. Terrible ... just terrible ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So....Wacky, how do you really feel about it?

All kidding aside, I totally agree with WDWacky.

I've never stayed at the Contemporary and have little desire to do so, but it is one of the originals and the architecture is true to the 70s.

If they want new DVC units, then they should build a new DVC resort or add a wing to an existing resort.

Those pictures are sad.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

[I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate this project."
    I agree enough with DVC put some money into MGM and save that park first.
    To many visits to keep track of.
    Finally Living The Dream!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually ... i think that *i'm* in the minority here! I *love* the idea of part of the Contemporary being converted into DVC.

We've stayed twice at the contemporary and LOVED it .. in fact had we not bought into the BCV we'd probably just keep coming back to the Contemporary. I'd probably have a hard time convincing my DH, but i would DEFINATELY buy in to the CV (Contemporary Villas .. sounds neat! grinning .. don't flame me please!).
    ~~Barb~~
    AKL Jambo House - 3/31/12 - 4/8/12
    BWV - 10/07
    BCV - 11/30 - 12/10/04
    BCV - 12/03 (Christmas at WDW)
    Contemp - 10/98
    Contemp - 12/97

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh my. . .

Those pictures are heartwrenching! I too remember happily going to the vending machine for Mr. Pibb, the jingle of the quarters in my pocket as we headed from the North Wing to the "Fiesta Fun Center" . . .
    it's the end of an era for sure. I haven't felt this sad since they tore Horizons down, but I think this is worse.

Anybody got Kleenex???

We're booked to stay in the south wing this fall but I wonder if it'll just make me too sad, might have to rethink that. . .

Post Thanks / Like

All this in the name of progress my friends... I have faith the new tower will look wonderful...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contemporary Demolition

Thank you for sharing your memories of the Contemporary wings, It will be sad to remember the way the wings used to be, but I think you will have a great time just going to Disneyworld.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman1975 View Post
    Thank you for sharing your memories of the Contemporary wings, It will be sad to remember the way the wings used to be, but I think you will have a great time just going to Disneyworld.
    Yes, you're right...I think it's the construction process getting me down, maybe once the new building is up I'll get used to it.

In the meantime, we rebooked for the Poly, only stayed there once when I was a kid, time to make some new memories with my own, I think! Thank you again for sharing your memories.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: