Quantcast I, Me, Your, You're......

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool I, Me, Your, You're......

Ok, maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. I know I'm not always perfect either. Can someone explain to me why it seems that the internet is erasing our grammer and spelling ability?

I'm not sure if it's lack of knowing, lack of caring, or what. It may just be the way of the internet, a trend maybe. But no matter what the cause, I find it distracting.

Nothing personal directed at anyone, it's here on Intercot as well as anywhere else on the internet. What is even more frustrating, is the increasing frequency of finding misspellings or improper grammer in newspapers, magazines even on television ads and newscasts.

But then maybe it's just me.
    Marker from MO

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I try not to get annoyed. I mess up as much as anyone else. But I do notice things, like the possessive and the plural being mixed up often. Or, specific Disney-related bungles like O'Hana instead of the proper 'Ohana. It's not an Irish pub! The best thing to do is shrug it off and pretend you have too much of an active life than to bother with noticing such trifling details.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Grammar issues drive me crazy for some reason. I guess it has to do with excellence. It doesn't hurt to do something right, just as much as it's not that big a deal to do it wrong.

My biggest Internet pet peeve is this:

i agree grammar issues drive me crazy for some reason i guess it has to do with excellence it doesn't hurt to do something right just as much as its not that big a deal to do it wrong

Please, if nothing else, use punctuation and, if possible, add capital letters. Speech is over. Thanks. And sorry.
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think it is laziness. In general, I don't think people care and don't want to take the time to correct any mistakes.
    '96-Off site
    '97-Off site
    '98-All-Star Movies
    '99-All-Star Music
    '00-All-Star Sports
    '01-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '02-Port Orleans-Riverside
    '03-Coronado Springs
    '04-All-Star Movies
    '05-Pop Century
    '06-Caribbean Beach
    '07-Port Orleans-French Quarter
    '08-All-Star Movies

Kungaloosh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking It's not just the internet...

It seems to be pervasive throughout society. Just listen to people speak, read a magazine or newspaper, etc. My 3 biggest pet peeves associated with this are:

1. The phrase "a lot" being used as a single word. Drives me NUTS! A good way to remember it's two words is to think about its opposite, "a little". You wouldn't type "alittle" would you?

2. Same thing with the phrase "no one". Noone (Peter) is a lead singer in a '60's pop band.

and finally my biggest gripe...

When the heck did the word "disrespect" change from a noun to a verb??? Did I miss the big announcement? You can respect someone, but you SHOW them disrespect. This one is getting worse & worse. I just heard it used wrongly on one of those CSI type programs the other night. You'd think a professional writer could get it right.

WHEW!! OK, I feel much better now. I'll put my soapbox away.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've actually adjusted to the lack of capitalization.

If it is a matter of trendiness, or even laziness, then that's one thing, but if it is a matter education, or lack thereof, then to me that is a concern.

Do people really not know the difference between "your" and "you're". Do they really not know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're".
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Disrespect is listed in Merriam Webster as a noun and as a transitive verb. You can show disrespect. Or you can disrespect someone.

Example:
    "He disrespected the officer." Completely proper usage, according to the dictionary's example.
    "He showed the officer disrespect." Also proper.

Further, to write believable dialogue, writers will often use familar speech or more vernacular language. In the case of a television show, you're dealing with characters. A writer will use speech the character would use in order to set a convincing tone. A CSI investigator may or may not be grammatically correct. A street thug? Not as likely.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I myself, have problems with grammar and spelling.

I have dylexia and I have been working on it all my life.

People say I am doing better, but I still have truble
    with things.

but I know what you mean. it does get kind of crazy
    Looking Forward to the Future...
    Nah its not easy, No one said it would be,But look behind ya, yeah im still here ;-)

aka/Piratesrider

Post Thanks / Like

I get annoyed by text message speak and lack of punctuation. That's just lazy.

However, I try not to judge people on their grammar or typing skills - since that is not why they come here. They're here to get Disney planning advice. We certainly want all to feel welcome.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a grammar pet peeve. Poor DH thinks I spend way too much time griping about it. It's when people use apostrophes incorrectly. Like more than one ATM - it should be ATMs, not ATM's. It's more than one ATM, it doesn't belong to the ATM.

I know, I know - a little case of OCD but I can really feel my blood pressure go up when I see cases of this.

Now as I'm posting this, I am so paranoid that I will have made a typo!
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

Post Thanks / Like

When spelling or grammar gets to me I feel better when I go back and look at some of my own typos
    Often I'm doing two things at once and type up something quick and opps how dumb I just typed "your welcome" I'm pleased when the msg doesn't get misconstruded.
    I have to admit my pet peeve is alot of a lot and when ppl YELL; but, I've made too many mistakes myself to keep tabs on it.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

It's not you. Americans are becoming increasingly dumber. And the sad part is, they don't seem to care.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsMin View Post
    When spelling or grammar gets to me I feel better when I go back and look at some of my own typos
    Often I'm doing two things at once and type up something quick and opps how dumb I just typed "your welcome" I'm pleased when the msg doesn't get misconstruded.
    I have to admit my pet peeve is alot of a lot and when ppl YELL; but, I've made too many mistakes myself to keep tabs on it.
    I don't think the original poster was talking about typos. That's completely different.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like lazyness is the main factor in this problem. However, I still go to school and throughout the whole day I am writing full sentences, correcting my grammar, etc. So when I come online I feel like it is a more relaxed atmosphere and I shouldn't have to worry about how people will judge me based on my grammar and punctuation.
    Hey, at least we dnt typ lke dis.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Here's a story for you, then:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/09/c....ap/index.html

I'll admit it ... I'm a fussbudget when it comes to proper grammar and spelling. Nothing grates on my nerves more than having to read innane stuff like, "UR GR8!"

Although what irks me more is when people try to sound smart by using big words and then fall flat on their face by mis-using it.

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me, "Well it's a mute point now!" I'd be a rich man.

Now just for the record, we all get typing fast sometimes and make minor typos or substitute their for there by mistake ... that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about persistent, pervasise bad spelling and grammar. I spend lots of my time reading the techincal specs produced by my analysts and I'll tell you ... I return about 95% of them with lots and lots of "red ink".
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post
    Now just for the record, we all get typing fast sometimes and make minor typos or substitute their for there by mistake ... that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about persistent, pervasise bad spelling and grammar.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I tutored English in college so I am quite aware that a lot of people just never learned anything in High School English. It's strange. You'd think these things would be second nature after fourth grade, but people still don't know or use the correct spelling for the your you're, its it's, and there their they're. It's crazy. When I first started talking on the internet in high school with friends from school on instant messanger and stuff I would do the "i" thing because everybody wrote it like that, but I don't anymore, I just think it's strange. There's going to be a whole generation not knowing how to spell things out and use proper punctuation. When I read posts sometimes I really wonder how long it took them to write it, and sometimes I just assume English is a second language, because surely it could not be that hard to spell. I understand some people have learning disabilities, and I totally respect that, I just think it's funny when smart people type dumb. They know how to write things correctly, they just don't take the time to do it.

At least slang hasn't completely taken over the boards.. other than Disney slang, that is... "So I went to CRT at MK and it was AM EMH so DH and I made a mad dash for BTMR before breakfast." It's so funny to read stuff like this where every little thing is abbreviated. Nothing so wrong with it, just funny. And then when people use the abbreviations incorrectly or abbreviate differently, it's so hard to figure out what they're trying to say. I'm sure this has nothing to do with what the original poster was trying to say, I just find it amusing.

And now back to (multiple choice question)
    a. you're
    b. your
    c. ur
    regularly schedule Intercot thread.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by January-2007 View Post
    I just think it's funny when smart people type dumb.
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

These things don't bother me much. I have a theory that many people have always had poor grammar and spelling, but, unless they were in school, no one really knew how bad they were.

The problem is that now everyone has access to a computer we are bombarded with poor grammar and worse spelling, not to mention all the cutsie internet-speak.

This is a take-off from my theory that all the bad things we hear in the news today isn't so much "new" or more prevalent in our society but with the advent of tv and radio everyone hears about it more. There is nothing to fill the "news" time slot, so any small crime is now reported as if it is breaking headline news.

I am not criticizing anyone or anything, in fact it doesn't really bother me at all. After, all, I have, trouble, deciding where to, put, commas!
    "Guard the boat, mind the tide. Don't touch my dirt." Captain Jack Sparrow

CSR May '98
    POR May '02
    CBR June '06
    Next Trip... POFQ Sept '07
    Disneyland--too many times to count!

Post Thanks / Like

I notice it but it doesn't bother me. My son's third grade teacher corrected one of his writing assignments and told him that a lot was supposed to be one word (alot)!! Now that kind of bugged me
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: