Quantcast Song of the South [Merged Threads] - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I have no idea what lessons can be learned from these movies, maybe I am naive in my belief that positive themes would be better for the world in which we live.
    How much more positive can you get than a man of simple means giving a rich little boy love and understanding that all the money in the world can't buy? And, he does so knowing that it could anger those in a position over him and cause him dire consequences. He is honorable beyond a fault! His stories are so much a wonderul part of Disney history that there is an attraction built around them at both US themeparks. It is a shame that most children today won't be able to hear those wonderful stories or be able to relate to any of the stunning, hilarious scenes in the ride.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    How much more positive can you get than a man of simple means giving a rich little boy love and understanding that all the money in the world can't buy? And, he does so knowing that it could anger those in a position over him and cause him dire consequences. He is honorable beyond a fault! His stories are so much a wonderul part of Disney history that there is an attraction built around them at both US themeparks. It is a shame that most children today won't be able to hear those wonderful stories or be able to relate to any of the stunning, hilarious scenes in the ride.
    The positive spin you are putting on this movie doesn't change what is intrinsically wrong with how Uncle Remus is portrayed. The "Uncle Tom" type character is offensive and not a high point of American cinema.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I just think it is a shame that some people can turn even the most simple and heartwarming stories into an offense.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

The positive spin you are putting on this movie doesn't change what is intrinsically wrong with how Uncle Remus is portrayed. The "Uncle Tom" type character is offensive and not a high point of American cinema.
    07-21-2008 03:20 AM

I find it hard to answer the posts that say this movie is heartwarming. Should the world revolve around one little boy? Does he lean to give to others who have spent so much time giving to him? Or is he the only one that matters? The movie seems to say that blacks are okay with being treated as less then whites and that poor white girls can go to rich kids parties and not be treated like poor white trash. Having grown up poor white trash I know that doesn't happen.

As my children have grown up I've had to explain the black crows in Dumbo and other things shown usually in older cartoons (not always Disney). I had my DD come home crying saying she wished she was white like me. My son had his own identity crisis trying to be more black then anybody until he found out that didn't really work for him. My children have had to learn to be themselves in a world that wants to stereotype them.

Most people don't notice the black crows or other things that happen everyday but it is there. Song of the South is more offensive then the black crows because you really can't overlook it.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

All i can say on this matter ...
    How very sad the PC brigade stick their noses into for what it is ,
    As this film that was made a very long time and made with love and care ,where basically the majority of like minded people see this as a good story with a good message for all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    All i can say on this matter ...
    How very sad the PC brigade stick their noses into for what it is ,
    As this film that was made a very long time and made with love and care ,where basically the majority of like minded people see this as a good story with a good message for all
    I don't see it as a PC Brigade. Regardless of the songs or how much love it was made with, it still revolves around a theme that is offensive. It makes me cringe, and I am a middle aged white woman. I can only imagine what uncomfortable feelings it would bring up for people of color. It is one of my mother's favorite Disney movies, she just loves the music, but she understands and supports why it would never be released.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipnDaleGal View Post
    I don't see it as a PC Brigade. Regardless of the songs or how much love it was made with, it still revolves around a theme that is offensive. It makes me cringe, and I am a middle aged white woman. I can only imagine what uncomfortable feelings it would bring up for people of color. It is one of my mother's favorite Disney movies, she just loves the music, but she understands and supports why it would never be released.
    I hear what your saying ...but its part of history that happened, and at some point nearly all affluent countries had a slave trade in their history . You cant just sweep that under the carpet .

For me a film such as this one can only have a positive AND if a youngster asks why there was slavery then you can explain the right from wrong whatever race they are .....

and again as many have voiced like
    "Mickey91 I just think it is a shame that some people can turn even the most simple and heartwarming stories into an offense. "

Post Thanks / Like

The end of the story is that this movie is not being released by Disney any time soon. We can all agree that there are differing view points on whether or not Song of the South is offensive, and the only real opinion that matters is the Disney Legal department This topic has been discussed in full, and to prevent any offense to anyone in our INTERCOT family, I am closing this thread.

If new developments occur, the film gets released, or there is any official Disney news released we can open up the forum again, but in lieu of those happenings the moderators of this forum have agreed that at this point there is nothing more that can be added to the quality of this discussion since SOTS is sealed in the Disney Vault.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Song of the South release?

For those that visit WDW quite often, have any of you heard any news about a possible DVD release of the movie Song of the South?

Post Thanks / Like

Been told it will most likely never happen due to the racial sterotypes. The Alice In Wonderland DVD has some selected scenes from a holiday episode of Wonderful World Of Disney.
    bob6572
    DVC MEMBER SSR
    May 99
    Jan 03
    Feb 04
    Dec 05
    Jan 07, BWV
    Jan 09, BWV
    Jan 2010, BWV
    Feb 2011, BWV
    April 2013, AKL
    January 2014, BCV
    April 2015, AKL/GFV

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney Treasures DVD "Disneyland USA" also has some of Song of the South, albeit in black and white...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

This has to be one of THE MOST frequently asked questions concerning Disney. It was asked a couple of years ago at the shareholders meeting, and they pretty much side-stepped it. I think it's a movie that none of the execs at Disney really know what to do with. So, they just leave it sitting in the vault. I guess they figure the endless questions of when/if it will be released are better than the potential boycotts, threats and lawsuits that might follow.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Funny...When I watched it as a little girl all I saw was a kindly old gentleman telling some rather amuzing stories about a rabbit, a bear and a fox. He told this story to a young boy and girl whom he happened to meet on a path. He had a beautiful smile and a wonderful "zippidy do dah" song.

Even today that's all I see.

Disney is doing themselves quite a disservice by blocking this release.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Song of the South is not being released, and this topic has been discussed at length in previous threads. We have merged them all here, and if you read through, there are high emotions about this movie ... which is precisely why Disney doesn't release it. If the movie is released or there is any news about it we will open discussion.

Please s

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: