Quantcast WDW Rated & Reviewed - The Country Bears Christmas Special

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How would you rate the Country Bears Christmas Special?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - One of the best a park could possibly offer.

6 10.17%
  • **** - One of the better rides around.

18 30.51%
  • *** - Average but still pretty fun.

26 44.07%
  • ** - Nothing too spectacular.

4 6.78%
  • * - Don't waste your time.

2 3.39%
  • 0 - Not even worth it at a carnival.

3 5.08%
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up WDW Rated & Reviewed - The Country Bears Christmas Special

I was hoping to have this done in time for Christmas but, well, you know, things happen. It's still in time for Eastern Orthodox Christmas! And part of Kwanzaa!

The Country Bear Jamboree: Christmas Special

Intro: Originally designed for the Mineral King Ski Resort that Disney never ended up building, the Country Bears Jamboree opened with the Magic Kingdom in 1971. In the winter of 1984 a seasonal Christmas special premiered and ran for each of the following 21 holiday seasons before going on hiatus in 2006.

Queue: The inside of Grizzly Hall doubles as a holding pen…err, I mean, waiting area for guests before the show begins. In especially crowded times of the year the queue line spread outside.

Ride: Upon entering the theater, which is adorned with festive decorations, the mounted heads (Melvin, Buff, and Max) greet guests with some banter about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Henry, the ringmaster of the whole tribe of bears, welcomes us to the show with “It’s Beginning to look a lot Like Christmas.” Henry informs us that the Country Bears eat turkey and yams for Christmas dinner. See, I’ve always assumed it was salmon and berries.

“The 5 Bear Rugs” join us and perform “Tracks in the Snow,” a goofy little ditty that I have nothing at all clever to say about. Thankfully (or not, depending on how you look at it) Wendell, the Country Bears’ equivalent of Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel, rises up from a trap door under the stage to sing to us about the Christmas during which he got lost while hunting. And really, who hasn’t been there before? After the song, Henry warns Wendell to be careful with his gun. You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!

Trixie, the morbidly obese ice-skating bear, joins us to sing about how she is “searching for her honey.” I’m assuming she is looking for the foodstuff, for obvious reasons. Turns out I’m wrong, she is actually singing the “Hibernating Blues” because her “honey” is, well, hibernating. Trixie decides to settle for Henry and offers him a kiss under the mistletoe. Thankfully this proposition goes unanswered when the Rugs interrupt with a rendition of “Deck the Halls.” After some singing (and phlegm induced humor) Liver Lips McGrowl, the Elvis impersonating Bear heads onto the stage. There’s a sentence I never thought I’d write.

Next we meet up with yet another yokel, this time a polar bear named Terrance, who sings “Blue Christmas” to a penguin in a block of ice. Still though, I can’t help but think he is more qualified than Rex Grossman to run the Bears offense. Next on the agenda is the Country Bears’ version of the Dixie Chicks, The Sun Bonnets. They save their anti-Bush administration tirade for the near-by Hall of Presidents and instead opt to do a rendition of “Sleigh Ride.” During the song, a slideshow of Country Bears Christmas memories plays on the screen behind them. This version of the song is actually a really good arrangement that with some tweaking could probably get airplay on Country music radio.

Next up is a fiddling bear named Ernest who is joined by the 5 Bear Rugs to sing a song called “Hungry as a Bear.” “I’ve got a mouth full of teeth and a belly full of air” he warns. See, if only Timothy Treadwell had that advice. Yeah, I know, that was uncalled for. Henry comes back on stage to herald the arrival of Teddi, who lowers down from the ceiling on a swing to sing “The Christmas Song.” Henry, apparently the most eligible bachelor in the wilderness, gets an invitation from Teddi to “come sign my cast.” It’s probably better for all if nobody even considers reading anything into that.

Melvin, Buff, and Max take a minute to ponder the possibilities of the New Year. Their high hopes are quickly dashed by the World’s worst New Year’s baby, Big Al…in a diaper nonetheless. He sings (if that’s the word for it) “Another New Year” to bemoan the loss of both his truck and dog. Henry comes back onstage one last time and, along with the raccoon in his cap, sings “Let It Snow.” Does anyone remember the old Walt Disney World commercials where they showed clips of sunny Florida while playing that song in the background? It used to end with Mickey hitting a golf ball from the top of Spaceship Earth. I think that commercial airing during the blizzard of ’93 actually convinced my parents to plan our first trip to Disney World. Anyway, I digress. The rest of the class joins Henry onstage (or, still from the wall in the case of the mounted heads) in a montage of Christmas songs to close out the show. Havoc, of course, ensues with the end result being the theater in darkness and only Big Al still singing “walking in a winter wonderland” ad nauseum.

Thoughts: The Country Bears Christmas Special was a cute holiday production that added a little something different to the Magic Kingdom around the Christmas season. It was also a difficult show to transcribe in the review with lots of little details and added touches you notice only upon repeat viewings. It’s a shame that the show is no longer with us. We can always hold out hope that it will return again someday. We’ll keep holding that hope near to our hearts, right around the same place we held Mr. Toad, Timekeeper, Horizons, Wonders of Life, and the Main Street Electrical Parade. Yeah. Right about there.

Overall Rating: *** ½
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually stay out of these polls but you hit a sore spot with me on this one The Country Bear Christmas Show was a great holiday tradition at WDW. It was the only attraction that got a Holiday makeover and was also the only holiday attraction you could experience leading up to Christmas week at the MK without paying for the party. It was a fun experience that really got you into the holiday mood. I was really bummed when I found out they weren't doing it this year especially since I finally had the chance to make it down during the holiday season which is rare for me since I am a teacher. Hopefully Disney will realize that they took away something special and it will return next year.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I've never been able to catch the Xmas version of this ride, but I love the 'normal' version of it. It's a shame that its popularity is decreasing.
    Hold on to them hats and glasses, cos' this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness.....is that how it goes, im not sure, im too busy enjoying myself!

Post Thanks / Like

i like the christmas special better than the regular one..i hope disney decides to bring the christmas one back next year!! i wish we knew why they didnt do it this year!?!?!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    i like the christmas special better than the regular one..i hope disney decides to bring the christmas one back next year!! i wish we knew why they didnt do it this year!?!?!
    The real reason why the CBJ holiday overlay didn't happen last year was because they needed to re-clear certain copyrights for some of the songs used in the show, particularly for "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and they couldn't obtain them on time. It was not because of cost or attendance as other sources proclaim.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't expect to see this thread dug out of mothballs.

I've heard from a few sources (though, admittedly, none of them extremely reliable) that the special ended because of the costs (both financial and in terms of shutting down the attraction) of the changeover. I've never heard anything about it having to do with copyrights.

I hope you're right though, I'd love to see the show return for many holidays to come.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

1) I would really like to have the Christmas edition back.
    2) Sure, it isn't the world's best attraction.
    3) But, it is cute and adorable and timely.
    4) I enjoyed it every year.
    5) I hope they put it back.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Country Bears Christmas!! It's one of the things we look forward to every Dec. We didn't get to go last year and we really missed it.

147 more days!!

Post Thanks / Like

The family saw it Christmas of 05' and we really enjoyed it. Hopefully it will return someday.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP for the holiday season!!
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

You just cant get enough of Big al!!!
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Country Bear Christmas

I see that this is an old post, so I'm wondering if the Country Bear Christmas Show will be performing this year. - 2012. ? Anyone know if it has returned?
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

The Country Bear Christmas show has not been performed since 2006. It has not returned.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: