Quantcast Camping Question - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Another hybrid fan

Jim, I think we're hybrid fans too. I say 'think' because our trailer is a Coleman Caravan which is a full-sided trailer, but instead of the canvas bed slideouts we have one hard-side bed slideout in the front over the hitch. Not sure if we're in the hybrid line-up.

Drummerboy, cranking the top up is a pop-up pain, but I'd take that any day over sleeping on the ground without an air mattress. Those sleeping bag pads don't do the trick!

Good luck with your search, Stu.

Jan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac
    Drummerboy, cranking the top up is a pop-up pain, but I'd take that any day over sleeping on the ground without an air mattress. Those sleeping bag pads don't do the trick!
    Off topic, but I gotta tell about the time DW decided to stack air mattresses when we were tent camping. It poured rain that night and it leaked into the tent through a partially opened door zipper, then DW decided to get up to go potty, which set the doubled mattresses off balance and threw me into the puddle of cold water. Woke me up real fast!

So, I know what you mean.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another off topic

Yikes! It'd be bad enough to be tossed out of bed, but into cold water?!?

I think we could all post some funny camper stories - maybe we should start a funny camper story thread. Or maybe not. We might unpersuade some potential campers.

I know you, Drummerboy, camped on your honeymoon - right at Fort Wilderness. DH and I also camped, renting a very small, old pop-up from Navy Morale, but in Virginia, rather than Fort Wilderness. We had our sleep rudely interrupted - when the supports on the bed collapsed in the wee hours.

That's a weird experience to be suddenly awakened.

It would probably be even funnier had we not actually been sleeping at the time, but alas (for the joke), we were fast asleep.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to look at a Coleman popup tomorrow. It's a good price, but I don't think it has an icebox. I thought I'd ask all you seasoned campers if you think that's a big deal or not. (It also doesn't have A/C, but I have one I can install for no extra charge). Thanks!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

If you're used to working out of coolers, not having a fridge is probably not a deal breaker. The pop-up fridges are small and one has to do duck imitations to get stuff in and out. If you're used to using coolers for camping, you're not going to like the reduced space much.

Good luck with your searches.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys!
    Well, I went to the RV show in Dallas this past weekend and I've pretty much made up my mind. I kind of liked a, Aliner popup (my wife really liked it) but nothing really had everything that I wanted, exactly how I wanted it. I, therefore. am about to take the plunge and start building. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress (I'm picking up the trailer part from Harbor Freight on Wednesday)
    By the way, there was a guy at the RV show selling alarms with GPS systems for about 400.00. He said trailer theft is a growing issue. I assured my wife that Disney would be safe, but she's still not sure. Has anyone had any issues with your stuff being messed with at FWCG?. Regardless, do you think an alarm in a good idea?
    Thanks!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

We've never had any problems at FW. Most campers are, for the most part, very courteous people. On one of our trips to FW, we went off to the MK and I left the awning open. Upon our return that evening I noticed it had been lowered on one side. There was a note on our door from our neighbor saying he had lowered it when it started raining.
    We had had a heavy rain shower earlier in the day and if this had not been done, our awning would have definitely been damaged.

As far as security for my trailer, I use a hitch lock when it is in storage. I know this is only a way to slow down anyone from taking it. Because if they are going to take it, they're going to take it. But then again that is why we have insurance.

I personally would not get the alarm. Unless you are storing the RV where it is in your site daily, you won't know its gone until it's too late.

Don't let security deter you from camping at FW. Go and enjoy yourselves.

Next Trip: June '07

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That's the way I figured it was, but I needed to assure my wife.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

There was someone a year or so ago who had a utility trailer stolen from the overflow lot, but I am not sure if I read that on this board or another. It was unlocked and left pretty much unattended for a few days.
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

The trailer kit just got shipped!!!! In a week, construction begins on the teardrop....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. Get us some pictures.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have the actual trailer built (5X8) and I'm adding the floor now. I've put the DW in charge of planning the insides, and she's doing a good job of fitting everything in! The cool thing is that we're able to build it exactly the way we want (within reason) :-)

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck building your trailer!! Keep us updated. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments so far.

We too started out tent camping. Had first son, bought a pop-up. I called it our "deluxe" pop up because it had a toilet and a shower in it and the dinette area slid out too. It was very roomy inside. Then we had our second son and some how it started to seem small. Last month we went and traded the pop up in on a brand new 21' travel trailer. It's a hybrid too. The queen bed is a hard sided slide out. It sleeps 7 and has 2 bunk beds in the back that the boys just love! In fact one of the deciding factors for buying this particular one was because we are heading to WDW to camp next October. The inlaws are camping with their trailer too and my parents will be staying in our camper. It's going to be so much fun! We can't wait!
    July 1998 / Oct 2000 / Oct 2006 / Oct 2007/ Jan 2010/ Nov 27- December 4, 2011- All Star Movies. We are ALL obsessed with Disney = Me, DH, DS11 and DS6

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's been slow. The weather has conspired with my work schedule so that after I finished the trailer and the floor, I haven't had a moment to work on it! The next step is the frame, and, in theory, should be pretty fun, but TIME is the problem. I want to finish it for a "shakedown run" on spring break in March, but we'll see.... I'll keep posting updates though!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

This is a wonderful idea. The fact the it all started with wanting to make the wife's older dog happy and comfortable while ya'll are on vacation just makes me smile! I couldn't help but read every post here, and I can't wait for the next update and pictures of the completed product. Oh, don't forget, you might should include a picture of the dog too, I think we are all becoming quite attached!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, needless to say the weather's been nuts (for Texas anyway) with snow, ice, rain, locusts, etc.... (ok, I made up the part about the locusts). Anyway, about the only thing that I got done this past weekend was to put leveling jacks on the sides of the trailer. I hope to get to Home Depot tomorrow and get the stuff for the frame and the walls. I'm looking forward to getting it to where it looks like a camper and not a flatbed trailer
    Mimi the dog is doing fine, by the way. I'll try to post some pics at some point, but I'm not sure how to do it on this forum. Do you do it in your profile or something?

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Camper Update:

I got the frame for the front and back camper walls done this weekend! (despite a sudden downpour on Saturday afternoon...20% chance of rain, my foot!) It actually is starting to take some sort of shape! Hopefully that shape will end up being at least somewhat camper-like....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573
    Camper Update:

I got the frame for the front and back camper walls done this weekend! (despite a sudden downpour on Saturday afternoon...20% chance of rain, my foot!) It actually is starting to take some sort of shape! Hopefully that shape will end up being at least somewhat camper-like....
    Way to go.
    Keep at it and keep us up to date.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: