Quantcast Pop Warner Week

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop Warner Week

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pop Warner Week

Can anyone share their past experiences of Pop Warner week? My wife and I are going from December 1st - 9th, which is the exact dates of the Pop Warner Cheerleading and Football event at WWOS. Are the parks extremely crowded with long wait times for attractions? We like to go during value season, but we are starting to get very concerned that the parks will be overcrowded during this week. Any help would be appreciated.
    Summer 1999 - All-Star Sports
    Walt Disney World College Program Spring 2001
    Disney/MGM Studios Backlot Tour Cast Member
    June 2002 - All-Star Sports
    May 2003 - Caribbean Beach
    Jan 2004 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Beach Club
    December 2006 - Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We went last year for a day trip on December 11th I think it was and it was smooth sailing. I too thought it would be crowded but it wasn't. I would however suggest that you avoid the Value resorts and large room hotels in DTD. We went one year and several classes from overseas of younger kids were there and they were all at the Values... UGH!!! I don't think that it will be that crowded. If you get parkhopper option, then you could always switch parks if one is loaded down. Epcot seems to be the best for crowds and very rarely have crowds. I hope this helps.
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Pop Warner kids are generally not in the Parks during the day. They are at the Sports complex for the competitions. You may notice them at the Parks in the evenings, but they will generally be in small groups with parents. They will take over Disney-MGM Studios one evening at the end of the competition - I believe that Park is kept open late for them.

Most of the problems with the Pop Warner kids occur at the Resorts, not at the Parks.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the World during Pop Warner week last year and I was REALLY glad that I had a hotel swap planned for the middle of my trip. I stayed at POR for the first half of my trip. I didn't expect that many kids to be staying at a moderate (I hate to think about how it was at the Values...) They were loud, rolling past your door with those sneakers with the wheel's in them and then they were roaming the parks in large groups "cheering". And the food court was always really busy. I was really glad that I moved over to the Boardwalk.

Unless I am staying at a deluxe...I will not go back down during Pop Warner week again.
    College Prg-'99
    Dixie-Jan'00
    OffSite-Oct'00
    Contem-Sep'01
    ASMo-Jan'02
    YC-Sep'02
    ASMo/WL-Jan'03
    POR-Sep'03
    ASMu-Dec'03
    AKL-May'04
    POR-Oct'04
    POP-Mar'05
    POR/Bdwk-Dec'05
    WL-Jan'06
    POP-Oct'06
    POR-Jan'07
    POP-Oct'07
    POR-Nov'08
    POR-Nov'09
    POP-Apr'10
    POP-Nov'12
    POR-Nov'14

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

It's not really a parks issue,it's a resorts issue. The values, with the overflow going to the moderates. (CBR & POR) We were at POR this past December during Pop week. We couldn't get near the pool in the evenings and it was very noisy after dark when we were trying to rest. The food court was also very crowed and chaotic but the most troublesome part by far was departure day. Airport check-in and bag check at POR took us 2 1/2 hours departure morning. Then, ME wasn't prepared for the sheer number of passengers departing for the airport, causing many frayed nerves and nearly missed flights. Really bad ending to our stay.
    I recommend upgrading to a premium resort if it's in your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny how everyone is so worried about the kids with POP Warner when I have seen kids with the PARENTS act worse then these kids do in these groups maybe if we parent our kids better when we are with us then they wouldnt act RUDE, NASTY, MESSY, or OBNOXIUOS, LOUD, when they are away from us ...just a thought its always a handful that make the whole group look bad but cut them some slack we were all once young ...
    Did someone say "Disney" I want to go

Post Thanks / Like

Im not knocking anyones parenting skills. I use these things as a way to show my DD & DS how NOT to act when you are with friends. I for one cant stand to see young adults acting out like they do no matter where we are. I always point it out to mine and tell them, I hope you never act like that when you are out with friends. Look how bad it looks and How people respond to you like you are obnoxious,rude, nasty, kids....you want to be treated like "adult" or "young adult" then act like it when you are on your own with friends....sorry I didnt want anyone to take what I said in the wrong way
    Did someone say "Disney" I want to go

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geez...

I was worried about the resort issue as well. Sounds like we may have to consider changing resorts. We were planning on staying at Pop Century, but is sounds like that may not be a good idea. My wife and I enjoy seeing the smiles on the childrens faces and the magic that Walt Disney World brings into their life. However, it is the rude and obnoxious teenagers that often time get us angry because they are just acting out trying to look cool in front of their friends. It also sounds like we will be unable to enjoy the pool and food court at the resort as well. Geez! Wish we could afford the Beach Club again...
    Jan 2004 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. I had my travel agent check with the Disney people since I'm going from Dec 3 - 10 and staying at a value - and they told her they have NO RECORD of any group staying on site.... just to be safe I did ask her to put in a request for a room FAR away from the pools...
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that the Pop Warner people have made any ressies yet since they haven't even kicked off the season yet. Last year, they stayed in the All-Star resorts (I think Sports and Music, but I could be wrong) and PO Riverside. A check of their website just yesterday did not list any info about the SuperBowl week yet except the dates.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

December 2nd - 10th is blacked out for all discounts at all Value Resorts, Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside. We were told by Disney that this is because the Pop Warner group stays at these resorts. We are pretty bummed that we cant get any discounts just because of their large group. Right now we are half tempted to upgrade just so we can avoid the large crowds at the resort, and save some money on either a Moderate or Deluxe resort.
    Jan 2004 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

The Pop Warner week is really a non-issue except for the hotel arrangements on-site.

We were at MGM last year when they all were at that park on the same day. Nothing bad at all. They corralled everyone from Pop Warner to the far left side of Fantasmic! It was all cheerleaders. Nothing annoying happened, no one got in the way. In fact, the cheerleaders were entertaining the crowd while we waited an extra long time for the show to begin due to rain.

There is a great discussion on Pop Warner week at this thread:
    http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ad.php?t=81908

If you can't find a reasonable hotel rate on-site, I highly recommend going to a value hotel off property. Rates are pretty good in December if you know where to look. Yes, you will not have the benefit of being at a Disney hotel and you will need a rental car, but it's not as bad as some die-hard Disney fans would make you believe.

I'm a huge proponent of having your own rental car whether you stay on-site or not. It gives you absolute freedom and speed to get around where you want to go (i.e., no waiting for those darn buses!) Plus, you can go off-site and get some great meals for much cheaper and shop anywhere you want.

For a past discussion on parking/rental benefits, here's another thread link:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ad.php?t=59492

Do your homework and see what's available. Sometimes the expenses you pay for staying off-site even up and come out cheaper to what you would pay on-site.
    "You’re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway."
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at POR during the POP Warner week in 2006. At times it wasn't bad but there were times when it was downright annoying. It was loud when they were practicing or at night when they were all coming back. The heelie shoes were in abundance and parents were crabby. The busses were difficult from late afternoon through park closing. I think we stood on every bus we took. In 2008 we are going again partway through their competition but are staying at the POP. Mostly because they didn't have any rooms available at POR for our dates but now that I've been reading these posts I'm glad we are. It sounds like we won't encounter as many cheerleaders

Nov. 14-20, 2011 - POP
    Nov. 30- Dec. 5, 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Nov. 30 - Dec. 10, 2006 - PORS
    October 2005, POP
    October 2004, Disneyland offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Pop Warner

We went in December 2005 and will never go back again. You say the parks are not an issue but I disagree. Maybe we went on days when there were no competitions. There were many groups of kids (football teams, cheerleaders) and what seemed to be associated groups of relatives everywhere. MK was extremely crowded and I have video to back it up. I keep checking to make sure I wasn't mistaken, but it's true.

We stayed off resort, so I can't comment on the Disney hotels.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We went last year during Pop Warner and although we stayed at the WL(thankfully no cheerleaders) we saw plenty of them in the parks and they flooded Downtown Disney. We made the decision (if we go back in December) to go the second week of December to miss Pop Warner. It wasn't horrible it's just not something I really want to deal with. I think it makes the parks much more crowded because even though the cheerleaders are practicing all their moms, dads, brothers, aunts (you get the idea) that have come with them are in the parks. If you decide to go do make sure you have ADR otherwise you can forget at eating at some of the more popular restaurants! Good Luck!
    1992 DisneyWorld (Contemporary)
    1994 Disneyland

1996 DisneyWorld (CBR)
    2004 DisneyWorld (WL)
    2006 December DisneyWorld (WL)
    2008 November DisneyWorld (WL)
    2010 October-November DisneyWorld(WL)
    2011 November Disneyland Resort- Grand Californian

2015 WL Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Pop Warner week is definitely a timeframe we will avoid in the future. We were at PO Riverside with them a few years back, and many of the things listed above happened to us - crowded pools and food court, and they were loud in common areas. We also witnessed practicing of cheers on the busses to the parks.

It didn't ruin our vacation, but it was annoying enough to not plan another trip during that week ever again.

Post Thanks / Like

I made the mistake to go a few years ago during that week (before we purchase the DVC) adn stayed at the ALL Star Movie resort. DISNEY COULD NOT GIVE ME A FREE VACATION THAT WEEK AGAIN. The pools at night are like teenagers gone wild.LOUD!!!! The parks had its moments. The parents were just down right rude. ( I am sure the kids just made them that way) TOOOOOO many young kids and not enough supervision at the hotels and the resort did not do to much to control the area. If you don't have a rental car the buses will be packed in like a can of sardines. We had a rental car but the first 2 days we did not use it to go between the parks and lets say we waited at times 3-4 and 5 buses before we could get on one. If I had the option I would upgrade or change my vacation dates.
    91 Off Site
    FT. Wilderness
    12/98 12/99
    12/00 12/01
    1/04 1/14
    ALL STAR SPORTS
    11/02 3/10
    ALL STAR MOVIES 12/04
    SSR
    10/05 2/07
    1/08 10/8 1/09 6/09 12/09 12/10 1/12 1/13
    DISNEY VACATION CLUB OWNER04
    Animal kingdom villas
    3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

I, personally, just can't understand why parents don't teach their kids how to act when they're on vacation/at a competition. Even if it's at Disney World, it doesn't mean that you are the only ones there! We used to go to TwirlMania! at the WWOS every February, and the only times that we were off by ourselves where when we were A.) going to the bathroom, B.) performing/competing, C.) practicing out of everyone elses way and if we were in eyesight of one of our parents or our coach, and D.) if we were swimming in the pools with other girls from our team. Some of the older girls would go and hang around the lobby of Pop Century, but they were very well behaved and weren't causing any trouble. But there were other people who were there for the competition that were acting like they owned the world or something!!! One kid actually hit an older man in the head with her baton, then blamed him for getting in her way! Unbelievable! I hope that kids aren't going around and throwing footballs at senior citizens, and waving their pom-poms in everybody's faces, but they could at least tone it down, and act civilized. It's a hotel, with other people in it, trying to relax and enjoy their stay.
    I realize that I ranted, and I'm sorry, but something must be done about kids these days when they are at competitions with their friends. There is nothing that you can do here that you can't do at home!
    I've been going to WDW since birth, and now I work there.
    Proud Baton Twirler!
    "Oh look, my tax dollars at work coming to arrest me, " Reily Pool, NT2
    Go UCF and UF!

Post Thanks / Like

The only issues I had with Pop Warner week last December was at the airport not at WDW. I think the entire trip we saw on group of a bout 12 cheerleaders in the MK and they past us by doign a cheer and that was the last we saw of them. However the airport was a mess when I was leaving on Sunday. Every flight coming back to NJ was overbooked and full of Pop Warner kids carrying these trophies that were bigger than they were. No wonder all these parents think their 9 year olds are going to the NFL The people working for the airlines were actually begging people to give up their seats and there was lots of arguing and confusion at the gate.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We were there the entire Pop Warner week in 2006. I have to beg the differ with those who say it's a resort issue and not a park issue. We had been lead to believe that the first week of December was a great week to visit WDW. We were told the crowds were low and the weather was great! I think maybe someone was a few years behind on that! The parks were the most crowded I've ever seen them! We had no real problems other than large crowds and cold weather, but it was not what we expected. I plan on a return trip in Dec. somewhere in the future. I will try the second week of December.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: