Some people really have a misconception about what the separation of church and state really means.

Remember ... In the old days the "Pilgrims", for lack of a better word, came to America seeking freedom of religion. Simplisically speaking, the government of England endorsed one religion and persecuted those who were not members of that religion. The church and the government were virtually one, with the church having major influence over laws and actions of the people.

When the new government of the U.S. was established, freedom of religion and separation of church and state were written in to the Constitution to prevent this from happening again. Basically all it says is that the U.S. government cannot discriminate against folks based on their religion ... this was in the very first amendment to the Constitution, or the first amendment in the Bill of Rights.

It reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As you can see, it says only that Congress shall make no laws that establish an "official" religion, nor can they prevent the free exercise of religion.

Because saying the words "under God" when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance doesn't really violate any of those rights (I.E. it doesn't tell you what God it is or that you must worship him) I don't think it's unconstitutional.

All that being said, I suppose if I didn't believe in God it might be a problem, so why don't we just re-word it to remove that and make all school kids say it? I think it's important, especially nowadays.