Quantcast Keeping the Mouseketeers from killing each other . . .

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The day of departure is drawing closer. DH and I are excited about our time at Disney World. We are wondering about keeping the Mouseketeers from killing each other on the "lovely scenic" road trip from Cincinnati to Florida. Does any one have any educational games, tricks, tips for entertaining a 9yr DS & a 5yr DD ? Thank you for any advice that will help us [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    LuAnn
    *Love that Mouse!~~"Are We There Yet?"
    Go UD!
    GO Dayton Flyers!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell 'em if they don't behave, they're gonna get taken to small world, get bolted to the floor, and taught to sing in thirty-seven languages! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh I hope someone answers this question quick!

I gave my great niece, age 5 and my great nephew, age 9 a ride home from a family outing today. Their Mom was on her way to work and Dad was just getting home from work.

I had the two of them in my car for about an hour. It consisted of :

"he touched me"
    "she looked at me"
    "he stuck his tongue out"
    "she rolled her eyes"
    about that time I banned them from looking at each other.

Then I heard comments like:
    "your brain is so small it would get lost in a sesame seed"
    "you have eyes like kermit the frog"
    "well you look like miss piggy"
    about that time I banned them from talking to each other

next came the bodily function make believe noises

yep, can't wait for someone to answer your question, cause I'm going to have these two rugrats next weekend for the whole day!
    Port Orleans French Quarter - October 2008
    Polynesian Concierge - 52 trips
    Grand Floridian - 8 trips
    Grand Californian Concierge - 3 trips
    Animal Kingdom Lodge - 1 trip
    Boardwalk Inn - 1 trip
    Beach Club - 1 trip
    Yacht Club Concierge - 1 trip
    Port Orleans French Quarter -3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DebC:
    Gosh I hope someone answers this question quick!

I gave my great niece, age 5 and my great nephew, age 9 a ride home from a family outing today. Their Mom was on her way to work and Dad was just getting home from work.

I had the two of them in my car for about an hour. It consisted of :

"he touched me"
    "she looked at me"
    "he stuck his tongue out"
    "she rolled her eyes"
    about that time I banned them from looking at each other.

Then I heard comments like:
    "your brain is so small it would get lost in a sesame seed"
    "you have eyes like kermit the frog"
    "well you look like miss piggy"
    about that time I banned them from talking to each other

next came the bodily function make believe noises

yep, can't wait for someone to answer your question, cause I'm going to have these two rugrats next weekend for the whole day!
    [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

Monitor cleaner, please!!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Main Street Jim:
    Tell 'em if they don't behave, they're gonna get taken to small world, get bolted to the floor, and taught to sing in thirty-seven languages! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

Well in the last year we made the drive twice and the only thing that kept our kids(12,10,and 7) from each other was to bring lots of electronics. We took a dvd player, nintendo x2, and walkmans. If they would only sleep in the car things would be so much easier.
    Paging Mr.Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived.
    Please give them a ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a car DVD player with 2 screens. Hook a game station up to one and movies on the other. Believe me- it's worth the cost.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are 8, 9, and 12 and anytime we are in the car for more than 2 hours - I bring a portable DVD player. License plate bingo and travel games are only entertaining for so long!! For long trips, I let each child pick one movie to bring and I rent or buy a couple of new movies as a surprise. If you don't have a portable DVD player, you can usually rent them for a week or two from a local rent-to-own store for $20-30.00. Hope this helps!! Have a great trip!!
    Denise<br />All Star Movies Dec'02 & Dec'04

Post Thanks / Like

First question for me is Do You Have An In-Car Entertainment Center? (portable VCR or DVD Player?) We travel often cross country with our crew of 3 - a bit younger than yours but still, the TV has been esential! Yes, some may think this is a cop out but hey, what else are they going to do for all those hours.

Beyond that - Brainquest cards? Leap pad or Leapster? Crayola color wonder markers and fingerpaints? Books on tape that apeal to the whole family - esp ones that Disney based their movies on like 'Swiss Family Robinson' 'Peter pan'? Buy the new CD set of Disney music from the parks to get ready for the visit?

Just some ideas - just remember at that age they are old enough to understand the goal at the end of the drive - we have always found 2-4 to be the hardest age because they just don't get why they have to stay in the car! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

We have a hand held game called 20 questions. One person thinks of an object and the game asks 20 questions that you answer yes, no, sometimes, or don't know and after all of the questions it guesses the object your thinking of. This keeps my 7 and 9 year olds occupied for a long time. I also go to the dollor store and stock up on little toys and objects that I keep hidden and then after bathroom or meal stops the kids get something when they get back into the car. It helps when they complain about getting back in the car. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

If the kids are old enough to be motivated by spending money, I would create an incentive program. Each child could start out with $15 or $20 or $25 in ones. (This can be in addition to their regular spending money.) Every time one of them complains, whines, hits, etc., they have to pay you one of their dollars. If they behave, they get to keep their extra money! It all depends on whether spending money is important to them, but it might work!
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest tip would be-- do not let them sit right next to each other. Make sure one is on the passenger side and one is on the driver's side and hope that there is as much room in between them as possible. My second tip and a life saver for long road trips with children is bringing along a portable DVD player, preferably one with two screens. If you don't already have one and don't mind spending the extra money on it there is a great one at Target right now. For $350.00 you can get one that not only has two screens, but they can even each watch a different movie at the same time. You can play one movie on both screens or switch to two different movies, one playing on each screen. You can also have one of them watching a movie and the other can play games. You can either hook up a playstation, xbox, ect. to it or you can use one of those little joysticks that come with several different games on it. May I also recommend earphones. You don't want to be stuck listening to two movies playing and your children argueing over the other putting their volume too high. I also bring along small toys, books, coloring books, crayons, color wonder, snacks (if their mouths are full they can't talk ). I had my 4 year old DS, my 2 year old DS, and my 9 year old nephew on our last trip to WDW. What I did was make them each several small goodie bags with snacks, small toys, cool ink pens and notepads, anything small that I thought might amuse them. Their first goody bag was in a small backpack I purchased at a dollar store (this was to store all of their items and to keep them from mixing their belongings up). If they behaved then every few hours they each got a goodie bag. Not only did the activities in the bags keep them occupied with new fun, they were on their best behavior so that they could get another bag in a few hours. After about 3 hours they would start getting anxious and I would figure it was time for another goody bag. This worked great. I encluded almost only disney related items in their bags which made them more excited to get there. If all else fails try to travel through the night so that they will sleep most of the way, that has always worked well for us also. Good Luck!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

As the name suggests, chemicals! The original dramamine works well. Let them sleep the trip away.

Post Thanks / Like

Our option was letting them sleep the trip away - but drugfree!

When our boys were that age, we left southern IL at about 9 PM and arrived in Orlando the next morning. Now that they are civilized teenagers, we can drive when the vampires aren't out!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You guys are great! These are fantastic ideas. I can't thank you all enough. If anyone has any more advice I am always open to help. Intercot has some of the most creative parents in the whole "World"! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    LuAnn
    Go UD!
    GO Dayton Flyers!

Post Thanks / Like

Our children are about the same ages so I have been there. There are several sites (google search "Disney travel games") that offer travel games you can print. I make up 2 different booklets for our kids, one for the 9 year old and one for the 4 year old. There are several great pages for Disney. We have a mini van so I try to sit with each kid awhile and using a plastic tray, I taught DS to play several card games last year and I played Polly Pockets with DD. We also bring books on tape that are chapter books. Our library has a great selection. We do have a DVD system but that made them car sick for some reason. I think because of their age difference, they get along better than most siblings. We also leave very early AM so they sleep several hours before our first stop. We drive from Ohio as well, just south of Cleveland, so we drive about the same distance. We try to leave early so when we stop for the night, the kids have a chance to swim and unwind before bed. Good luck.

[ June 19, 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Lady ]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi-

Yes - The portable DVDs work magic. They saved our ears recently when our niece and nephews were in town and we had to do a lot of driving. Make sure you get tons of Disney movies.

Also, pick up a guide book for Disney World. Together, maybe the 9 year old can read to the 5 year old and you can have the map out "your plan of attack." If you do this in the middle of the trip, you can remind them throughout the remaining portion of the trip "if you don't behave, we won't do such and such".

And, if you aren't driving, bring your I-Pod to drown out the noise.

Good luck.
    Contemporary 10/82
    Polynesian 12/89
    Off-Site 2/02
    Port Orleans Riverside 5/02
    WL 2/03
    WL Concierge 10/03
    AKL 10/04
    WL 11/05
    WL Concierge 12/07
    WL- 11/08

Next trips
    WL - 11/11

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you that is so sweet and a great idea. But I guess I am to old or technilogically challenged to know exactly what an ipod is or how it works. Though I don't still use them I remember 8-tracks from high school. I am sure that I will figure out ipods, buy one and love it right before they become obsolete. You meet the nicest people on Intercot. Thank you all so much! Keep the great ides coming. Each post has given me more insight! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    LuAnn
    Go UD!
    GO Dayton Flyers!

Post Thanks / Like

Have surprises stashed for the trip. Go to the Dollar Tree and stock up on doodle pads, puzzles, games, action figures, crafts, and trinkets, and gift wrap them and keep them in the front seat. Each kid gets to pick a new surprise as you cross each state line. Don't forget to save some for the ride home!

How about a high stakes game of I Spy? Kids that age respond to money. They can earn pocket change (Or disney dollars) for finding unusual things along the way. They can even earn $ for good behavior: Reward them for every hour they don't argue or complain.

The key is to have an arsenal of new ideas to divert their attention, and dont show all your cards in the first hand.

My dad used to have the worst punishment when we were bad on road trips. He would pull out Windex, paper towels, cotton swabs and toothpicks, and MAKE US DETAIL THE CAR!!!
    [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img]
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of another one! When you do stop for breaks, let the kids get out as much energy as possible. Stop at a rest stop and play tag, have races, and be silly as a family. It will not only wear them out, but releave a lot of stress, too!
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not such a great idea if all the kids are gonna do is fight but cards always kept my brothers and I entertained. At least for a little while. Since there was usually a cooler between us we'd use that as the table. It definitely gave me something to do since I can't sleep sitting up so I was forced to be awake for the 12 or so hours we traveled a day.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: