Quantcast Airlines - New Rule Prohibiting Lighters

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been on the phone this morning about the new rules about lighters on or as a carry on.
    I called 3 airport's and they all told me the same thing. NO LIGHTER'S WHAT SO EVER. But you may carry on in a bookbage or carry on luggage 4 packs of matches.
    All 3 airports I called was with Northwest and told me to call back right before our thanksgiving trip to Dallas because they might even change about MATCHES as a carry on.
    YOU CAN NOT HAVE MATCHES ON YOU, LIKE IN POCKET, THEY HAVE TO BE IN YOUR CARRY ON BAG.

[ March 29, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: TiggTigg5 ]
    PP - Me, Mom, 42<br />AP - Daughter, 16<br />KP - Daughter, 14<br /><br />June 20th until June 28, 2006 Shades of Green,with gold leaf package.<br />Aug, 1988 Off grounds

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Were you surprised? That seems reasonable to me.
    Next TripDec 10-17!Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

It's really not the airlines fault. This actually came from the TSA.
    Okay, class. Optical orbits up front, and remember, we keep our subesophageal ganglia to ourselves. That means you, Jimmy.

What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

A stranger. From the outside. Ooooooooooooh.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds reasonable to me too. I would have been greatly surprised to hear otherwise. I don't think you can even smoke in the airports anymore, so I shouldn't think not carrying a lighter on you would be that big a deal.
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Penni:
    YOU CAN NOT HAVE MATCHES ON YOU, LIKE IN POCKET, THEY HAVE TO BE IN YOUR CARRY ON BAG.
    O.K. first off I don't think that there is a need for yelling. Secondly I would think that the matches would not be allowed in the carry on bag but only in checked luggage.

I have to ask you a question. There is no smoking on the planes and in most airports. Why would you need to keep matches or a lighter in your pocket or in your carry on bag?

Seth
    WDW at least 13 Times Since 1972!
    DLR to many times to count (used to go every weekend when I lived in CA)Next scheduled trips:August 2006-WDW
    October of 2005-DLR for the 50th!

Gwarsh

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this is not an unreasonable regulation, although matches won't set off metal detectors, so I wonder how well they'll be able to enforce this.
    --Pat / HooksLeftHand

"I'd like to take a moment to point out some of our native plants...There's one over there...there's one...there's another."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very happy that no lighters & matches are allowed. You could do a lot of damage with these instruments, especially if you have the right chemicals stuffed in your shoe. It's for our safety. If you're a smoker, well, I guess you'll have to wait until you claim your baggage.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I understand the reason behind this, but if they ban match books from luggage altogether, they are going to have some logistics to work out. My sister is a smoker and one of the first things she does when she lands is find the smoking area outside and has a cigarette. If they ban match books from checked luggage, I imagine that you will be able to get a book of matches in one of the shops before the security checkpoint.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

I guess I'm not getting what the big surpise of this is....in light of everything, this seems to be a reasonable request.

Post Thanks / Like

The shoe bomber tried to light his with a match and it wouldn't take. The TSA said that if he would have had a lighter he could have brought the plane down easily. The rule about checking lighters has been in effect for a while now; the rule about carry ons went into effect about a month or two ago. I personally feel safer knowing they aren't allowed, and I'm also a smoker. (I know, I know. You can stone me later).
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Well I wouldn't say that smoking is banned in most airports ... I've been in about 8 different airports so far this year (Philly, San Francisco, Monterey, L.A., Detroit, Vegas ...) and I think every single one of them had at least one or two bars or walled off areas where you could smoke.

But that being said ... I think it's clearly an important safety issue the TSA is addressing. Frankly, smokers get no sympathy from me in regards to having to wait to have a cigarette ... you should be quitting anyway. Those things'll kill ya.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by WDWacky:

Frankly, smokers get no sympathy from me in regards to having to wait to have a cigarette ... you should be quitting anyway. Those things'll kill ya.
    I don't think there's a smoker walking today that doesn't know that he/she should quit and that its bad for you. I consider it the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life. Trust me, if I could snap my fingers and be rid of the addiction I'd do it in a heartbeat. But smoking lounges in airports definitely serve the purpose of preventing some major meltdowns. There is nothing quite so powerful as that addiction, at least nothing in my life. You don't want an airport full of smokers after flying for hours without a smoke. Five hundred denied smokers about ready to go nuts or snap would increase the confrontation rates dramatically. Its sad but its true.
    Dan

1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI, I'm a former smoker ... I'll have quit 4 years ago this July ... and I do remember what that was like.

Nevertheless, as with most things related to cigarette smoking, I think the benefits to society outweigh the negatives to smokers here.

Frankly, I think the more inconvenient we keep making it to smoke the more quickly people will quit.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly, I think the more inconvenient we keep making it to smoke the more quickly people will quit.
    Forced withdrawal is not effective, it only leads to frustration and anxiety. As you are already aware a person first must possess the desire to quit for it to be successful. The more smokers get inconvenienced the worse the attitudes become and the more they will try to smoke illegally. When I'm on a plane I'm usually ok because I know ahead of time its illegal, although I still get cravings. But I have to have one when it lands, either in a lounge or outside. btw, I start hypnosis therapy in about three weeks when we get back from WDW so lets hope for the best. At this point I'm ready to try anything.
    Dan

1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by RazdOnDis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Frankly, I think the more inconvenient we keep making it to smoke the more quickly people will quit.
    Forced withdrawal is not effective, it only leads to frustration and anxiety. As you are already aware a person first must possess the desire to quit for it to be successful. The more smokers get inconvenienced the worse the attitudes become and the more they will try to smoke illegally. When I'm on a plane I'm usually ok because I know ahead of time its illegal, although I still get cravings. But I have to have one when it lands, either in a lounge or outside. btw, I start hypnosis therapy in about three weeks when we get back from WDW so lets hope for the best. At this point I'm ready to try anything. </font>[/QUOTE]Gotta agree here. Not a smoker, but I come from a family of them. The range of excuses and justifications for not quitting have always blown me away. I'd really someone just say "its hard and I don't want to". But that's another story.

To get back to the point, last year my aunt was on a cruise - she's a heavy smoker - and she was limited to smoking only in certain areas of the ship or on deck. Also her lighter ran out early in the trip and there were none available in any of the shops. She willingly huddled w/ the other smokers in the few areas where smoking was banned and bummed lights from wherever she could. After a week of being somewhat forced to cut way back, you might think she'd start seeing some sense in quitting. Nope. Still smokes like a chimney.

Oh, and we've had heart attacks, strokes, lung cancer ... you name it, in the family. That hasn't done it either.
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by RazdOnDis:
    btw, I start hypnosis therapy in about three weeks when we get back from WDW so lets hope for the best. At this point I'm ready to try anything.
    Well good for you! I sincerely hope you're successful. Quitting was the best thing I ever did and trust me when I tell you it is worth all the suffering you go through to get there.

Truth be told, it wasn't hard for me at all once I decided to put them down. I just went cold turkey.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Truth be told, it wasn't hard for me at all once I decided to put them down. I just went cold turkey.
    Wow, that's great that you could do that. I've tried many times before and stopped for a couple of months once. I say stopped because you don't quit until you actually don't smoke anymore. I love it when someone says "I quit for _______." I tell them they didn't quit, they only paused for awhile.

I am a very considerate smoker though. I feel that no one else should be forced to breathe my smoke just because I was stupid. I can't control the wind but I'll try to stand so that none of my smoke blows toward any non-smokers. I don't even like to breathe my own second hand smoke and I hate it in my face. I never smoke around kids and I have one room in my house that I use and its ventilated and has an Oreck air cleaner in it.
    Dan

1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Originally posted by goofyfanatic:
    Secondly I would think that the matches would not be allowed in the carry on bag but only in checked luggage.
    Major clarification needed here:

Matches and lighters have ALWAYS been banned in your checked luggage (the bags that go in the belly of the plane). Accidental ignition inside a bag in the baggage hold, which is inaccessible from inside the plane, while in flight could be disastrous.

"Torch" style lighters have been banned on aircraft for the last three years or so. The new rule, effective April 14th, now extends that to include ALL types of lighters. Passengers will be permitted to carry 4 packs or fewer of normal book-type matches either on their person or in their carry-on bags. As stated earlier, there is a distinct possibility that matches will also be banned in the foreseeable future.

For more information, see the press release on the TSA website.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RazdOnDis:
    btw, I start hypnosis therapy in about three weeks when we get back from WDW so lets hope for the best. At this point I'm ready to try anything.
    Well good for you! I sincerely hope you're successful. Quitting was the best thing I ever did and trust me when I tell you it is worth all the suffering you go through to get there.

</font>[/QUOTE]Funny how hard it is for some and how others just walk away...10 plus years for me (hmm strange how I have a 9 and a bit year old let) I think more people quit now for someone than themselves and that's a big factor.

But to the topic at hand I had no idea you could still take flamable objects in your carry on. Although I see a smokers point I really can't say these are objets I want on planes with me.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask you a question. There is no smoking on the planes and in most airports. Why would you need to keep matches or a lighter in your pocket or in your carry on bag?

Well I am a smoker and I would like a match box or a lighter in my purse or pocket so I would have it when I step out side.

I do not smoke around people that don't. I never have and never will.

But the most part of the posting about this is all WRONG. Like I said in the begining I called 3 airports today where me and my family will be traveling to (NorthWest) from Michigan to Memphis to MCO and they all told me that I am only aloud to have up to 4 matches in a box or pack and I can not have them in my pocket they have to be in my backpack and I can not put them in my luggage. NO MACHES OR LIGHTERS CAN BE CHECKED WHEN YOU FIRST COME TO THE AIRPORT.
    But again for the ones that smoke - YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 4 PACKS OF MATCHES IN BOOKBAG ON THE AIRPLAIN.
    PP - Me, Mom, 42<br />AP - Daughter, 16<br />KP - Daughter, 14<br /><br />June 20th until June 28, 2006 Shades of Green,with gold leaf package.<br />Aug, 1988 Off grounds

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: