Quantcast 1st Family Trip to WDW, seeking advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Well we have finally decided to take our first family vacation but have so many questions. We are leaning toward the first week of DEC due to the Christmas decorations and parties, but are considering Oct and Nov. We like the Caribbean resort and want to know if DEC is warm enough to swim? Likewise, what are some of the secrets to making the dining plan work and is the dining plan worth it? Our little ladies will be 9 and 7 and most likely would love the character dining. Any suggestions for some newbies?
    Dec 2005 - CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another moderate resort you might consider is Port Orleans French Quarter. It was recently refurbished and tt has a boat to take you over to Downtown Disney and the pool there looks great for kids. YOur kids are at a great age for their first trip. Any of the times you mentioned would be fine. Sometimes in early December the Pop Warner bunch is there, but according to these boards, that just means you might want to stay away from the value resorts, but you're already planning to do that. Otherwise, Christmas season would be a particularly splendid time to go. As far as planning, for starters I would look into which special restaurants you want to get priority seating at and book those well in advance. There are a couple of good planning books out there. We like the Birmbaums because it has a Disney feel to it, but many also recommend the Unofficial Guide for practical tips. We always find it special to visit the Magic Kingdom the first day as it's quintessential Disney, and the first sight of the Castle is an experience you always remember. Read up on use of Fastpasses, because they're lifesavers for the most popular attractions. We get them as soon as we arrive at a park. While you're at MK don't miss what I believe is now called Aloha Isle (the Dole Whip stand in Adventureland). Great place for a quick treat. Aside from the main attractions, be prepared to be delighted by the magic touches around every corner - the dancing fountains and, at night, sparkling walkways at Epcot (and water fountains that talk to you), the romantic twinkling lights at night at the MK, hidden Mickeys everywhere, and the music in the air that's perfect for every setting, Have a great trip. (Oops. forgot to say, Welcome to Intercot!)

[ February 24, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: EtteDMS ]
    Forever let us hold our banners high
    Trips:
    78, 85 - Holiday Inn Main Gate
    86 - Days Inn International Drive
    87, 88 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00 - Fort Wilderness Homes
    Dec 02 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    2009-2010 Disneyland, Paradise Pier and Candy Cane Inn

Post Thanks / Like

The first week in Dec. is a WONDERFUL time to go. Everything is Christmas, and I mean big time !!! There are virtually no long lines for anything, and while making P.S. arrangements seems important to many, we've only ever made one, and we've always been seated in a reasonable amount of time. I guess CRT and Calif. Grill are exceptions, but you really won't have any problems. This Dec. 3 - 11 will be our 11th trip down, and seven of them have been in early Dec.
    Get Birnbaums or the Passporter (any bookstore), and hang in here at Intercot. We're almost normal when you get to know us. Either that, or you're getting as "Goofy" as the rest of us. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Beets, you may not want to go to MK first. It seems as if the younger kids love MK so much, that may take away from some of their enjoyment at the other parks.

Unless you normally would spend very little on food, the dining plan would be great for your family.
    1973 - Off Site
    1979 - Contemporary Resort
    1983- Off Site
    7/1994 - Port Orleans
    6/2003 - Off Site
    3/2005 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 Nights)
    April/May 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (8 Nights)
    Nov/Dec. 2007- Boardwalk (7 Nights)
    Next Trip: Nov/Dec 2010-Yacht Club (6 Nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Beets, your little girls are the same ages as ours were when we took our first family vacation to WDW. We stayed at CBR as well. While I am anxious to try other resorts, I think you wont be disappointed. The food court had plenty to offer, and the pool was great. Each set of buildings has a small 'regular' pool (no frills) but my girls loved it. We had it to ourselves each night. We went in November (the week before Thanksgiving) and I found it was a little chilly some nights to go swimming. but, I'm one of those people that are always cold. I also tended to wear a sweatshirt every morning, and usually ended up tyeing it around my waist becuase it usually warmed up. So, I'm not sure about swimming in Dec. It think you may have better luck at a water park. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We stayed in the Trinidad North building (#33) room 3314. It was clean, and close to the bus stop (which I will add we never had ANY issues finding a seat) - becuase CBR is SO large, I've heard others say they had to wait a while before getting a bus. We were also close to the laundry facilities, the private pool, and a short walk to the food court and main pool. Me and my oldest (9 yr old DD) would get up early, walk to Old Port Royale (food and gift shop area) and get muffins, danish, coffee, and hot cocoa (in our refillable mugs) while DH and 7yr old slept in... (both not morning people) [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] it was a nice walk - and well spent time together to discuss what we wanted to do for the day and just enjoy the wonderful world of WDW. Then, would get back and wake up the others with breakfast. DH wants to go back because he loved it so much. But, I'd like to try someplace new since we've only been once.

good luck. I'm sure you'll have a blast! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Most of the time, you'll have weather in early December that is warm enough to swim. We've been there several times in early December and, most of the time, we've had delightful weather. Some years, we could wear shorts well into the evening hours! However, you should also be aware that cold spells can and do come at this time of year as well. On our last December trip (December 9-19, 2004), we only had warm weather on our first full day there. The rest of the time was chilly (sweatshirts and jeans required) to cold (meaning heavy winter jackets and layers of clothing). Although we saw some hearty souls in the swimming pool, we found it too cold to even think about swimming!

Personally, I've never used a dining plan. I feel that it's more advantageous to me to pay for what I eat out of my pocket. We enjoy a fair number of sit-down down dining experiences but sometimes skip meals or just have appetizers. I considered Disney's new dining plan until they started making changes to it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We’ve always gone to MK first no matter what our kids’ ages and they’ve always loved the others. We find there’s something very special about going to the heart of Disney first. Besides, no need to treat the other parks like a penance to be paid to be rewarded with MK. We don’t want the kids to view vacation as having to eat their spinach first before they can have dessert. Vacation is life’s dessert!
    Forever let us hold our banners high
    Trips:
    78, 85 - Holiday Inn Main Gate
    86 - Days Inn International Drive
    87, 88 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00 - Fort Wilderness Homes
    Dec 02 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    2009-2010 Disneyland, Paradise Pier and Candy Cane Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Beets, welcome to intercot! I also agree that MK is a must on the first day. We sometimes get to our hotel later in the day and have dinner at the resort and go to MK just for a while to cruise around and get the whole feel of the magic. The Unofficial Guide to Disney is our bible. I realize everyone has their own favourite guide book but we think it is worth every penny. You did mention that you may go in Oct. If you do the Not So Scary Halloween Party is a MUST. Make sure you go when this is going on.There are lots of dates in Oct. The weather is also good in Oct. so you can swim.
    Paging Mr.Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived.
    Please give them a ring.

Vacation Dad Guest

Early December is a great time to experience WDW. The only danger in going this time of year is that you might return in July one day and be in for a very different experience with crowds, rain, heat and long lines. Yes. I found the first week in December to be so ideal that my '99 trip in December is my all time favorite visit.

There is some wisdom in visiting MK later in the visit when little ones are part of the group. At ages 9 and 7, I don't think that the letdown factor will be too much an issue.

We were lucky the week we visited in December. We enjoyed beautiful mild weather and my son was at the pool every afternoon. The crystal palace for lunch was one of the more enjoyable character meals. It features Pooh characters and is nice to sit down in a beautiful bright atmosphere in the heart of the magic kingdom. The Christmas decorations seem to pop out of nowhere just after Thanksgiving. As you stroll the parks, you can hear the christmas background music. The parades were also holiday themed.

The first visit is special. Stick around and you will be prepared to make the most of your visit no matter which time you choose to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

We too are going Dec 7-13 staying at GF. Our kids (DS7 and DD6) have never been at Christmas time and I am hoping they will love it as much as we do!!.

I do still make PS's for CRT and CG but otherwise we wing it. I also hope the weather is good. It doesn't have to e 80 but without hats ad mittens would be nice. We are usually May travelers and I am so looking forward to Dec. It just has a different feel.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]. This Dec. 3 - 11 will be our 11th trip down, ]

We'll be there at that exact time also and have been for around that time in 2000, 2001, and 2002. we did first week in October in 2003 and ended up being disappointed with a trip in June of 2004 - with my parents, my aunt and uncle, my sister-in-law and her 2 girls (3 & almost 1) and son (6) and daughter (2 months) and only planned it because of a cousin's wedding in Atlanta so we were more that half way there and could not resist. I think we were so spoiled by the crowds and weather in December that bothe the October and June trips left us a little disappointed. October was very crowded and hot. It ended up being a local school's break so there were a lot of people. the june trip was hot and there were lines but we were so used to being able to have the characters all to ourselves and walking right on to even the most popular attractions that it drove me nutz! don't get me wrong, i would never say a Disney vacation is a waste or a bad one but i think the best possible time to go is between thanksgiving and christmas and i tell anyone that asks that! my son has always been able to swim even early morning and late night...it may be too cold for an adult's comfort but kids don't care. i encourage early December.

Also, both of your girls will be on a child's dining plan, right? if so, you almost couldn't go wrong with the dining plan. i'm a planner and love everything about it but i sat down and took the menus of the places we want to eat at- TS and CS- and made a sample "order" of what i thought we would order and added up the totals. then i comparred it to the cost of the plan keeping in mind that the plan also includes your tip and tax. if you are planning to hit expensive TC for dinner it would have to pay for itself. it just depends on what your family wii eat. i am thinking we will actually have too much food and be saving money!

Good luck and have fum planning!
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

We were there the first week of Dec 2004, stayed at POLY and had a great time. We're from New England so the cooler(60) air temps at night didn't stop us from swimming -it felt great since most pools are heated. The days were between 75-80, except one afternoon that got real cool(55-60).
    You mentioned the Caribbean Beach which should be fine, as someone may have mentioned towards the end of that week the Pop Warner group starts to arrive. For the most part the kids stay at Value Resorts, but they do stay at Moderates as well. My nephew had the good fortune of playing while we were there(great coincidence) and they were put up at Port Orleans. I never noticed once anyone from these groups in the parks, at least they didn't do anything that would cause them to stand out -I know the players are on pretty tight schedules with practice and homework.
    The only drawback with this time of year is that there tends to be so many additional things to do(MVMCP, Candlelight Processional-don't miss, Christmas Around the World -kids will enjoy, Parades, etc) that it makes doing eveything difficult -especially with shorter park hours. I would highly recommend visiting Santa in EPCOT, he and the Misses are the best I think I've seen. Also, the filming of the actual Christmas Day parade will probably take place that 1st weekend in Dec. at MK -I'd plan around it unless you don't mind the extra crowds there that weekend.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Another good time to go would be in January (middle 2 weeks). My family and I went in 2004 and had a wonderful time. Crowds were small and we were able to do almost anything we wanted to. Only a couple of rides were closed for refirb. Weather was nice too, especially since we were coming from MI, it felt WONDERFUL to us. Nights and early mornings a bit cool but warm during the day.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

what is the 'usual' weather for the first week in Dec???...we just got back from our trip in Feb, and I was elated about the weather (sunny, and in the 70's every day).

I would LOVE to go down for X'mas, but I NEED that type of weather, as we love to swim, suntan, etc..

Post Thanks / Like

December weather can be quite variable. I've been in December when I could have worn short throughout the day and as late into the evening as I wanted. I've been when some days were chilly - jeans and sweatshirts and other were wonderfully warm. Last year, in December, it was cold all the way through our vacation. We got to wear shorts the first day we were there. They rest of the time, we were in jeans and sweatshirts and, sometimes, in multiple layers and heavy outercoats! Be prepared for any eventuality!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been in December, but when we went in March, it was warm enough to swim. Most of the pools are heated and we carried robes. My DS8 and DD6 wrapped up on the way back to the room. It was really nice. Don't forget whenever you book, if you want to go for breakfast at Cindy's castle--book PS on the 90th day or you might not get it, also the same for the Illuminations cruise.

Hope you have the time of your life--we sure did!

Post Thanks / Like

iam going to WDW in December from Dec2-10, 2005!!! I am really excited about the trip and am prepared for any type of weather since in Oklahoma we get all types of weather here. It can be in the 80's one day and in the 30's the next so you klearn to adapt. If you have decided on your dates...Shout it out and hopefully we will be abvle to meet you. [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Your first time is the most memorable for sure. Mine was 25 years ago, and I can remember moments from those three days vividly still.

My favorite advice:

1. Read Intercot like it's the key to winning the lottery. The advice on these discussion boards will help you immensely. From water bottles, to getting a nicer room at the hotel, to where to stand for parades/shows, I could go on forever.

2. Get to the parks early! It amazes me to see folks arriving for the day 2 hours after opening. Better to take a 2-hour break if you're staying on site, as you'll be more rested, and the lines are indeed the shortest first thing in the morning, during parades/shows, and late at night.

3. Think backwards. Look at a map, think of the most obvious way to tour a park, and do just the opposite. Take Epcot for example: Many people go through the turnstiles and head straight for Spaceship Earth. I blow right by it, and head for Mission Space, or Test Track, and as soon as I can, cross over into World Showcase. As others are clogging the front half of the park, you're more free to wander. After lunch (more on that below), you head to the front half (what's it called?), as others clog the world showcase. Same is true for MK and MGM.

4. Eat at off times. While others eat 11:30--1:00, you ride, and eat later.

5. I took my kids two years ago at exactly the same ages you have, and can assure you taht your kids will have a blast. I highly recommend a break in the middle of the day. It seems like wasted time, but unless you like wasted and cranky kids, get in a nap and a swim, then head back to the parks.

Most of all, take the time to relax, enjoy the scenery and music, and shopping, and not just ride, ride, ride (and thus wait in line all the time). Disney magic is really there if you allow yourself the time to enjoy it.
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: