Quantcast Just found out something interesting regarding airline prices

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is a well known fact but I just stumbled upon this while checking airline prices for the Thanksgiving timeframe on the Delta website.

I went to check the price and forgot to change the number of passengers from 1 to 5. The price came back at $298 round trip. That surpised me because when I checked the other day, the prices were near $400. So, I went back and changed the number of people to 5 and sure enough, the price jumped up to $369 round trip.

So, then I became curious and here is what I found for the breakup of numbers:

1 person - $298 RT
    2 people - $313 RT
    3+ people - $369 RT

So, maybe instead of booking once for 5 people, one would be better off to book one person at a time.

I checked the seating chart and there were plenty of seats available.

Hmmm. Just thought someone else might find this interesting. Maybe it could save someone a few bucks somewhere along the line.
    Proud mom to Monorail_Red and goofhook and DD Jenn!
    Proud member of the magical Disney Parks Moms Panel family.

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is VERY interesting information. I am gettng ready to book a trip for December (5 people) and will have to look into that. THANKS!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Jan 93 Disney Villa's
    May 96 Port Orleans
    Apr 97 Off Prop.
    Oct 98 All Star Music
    May 01 All Star Sports
    Feb 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    May 02 Beach Club
    Sep 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct 02 Polynesian
    Feb 03 Polynesian
    Oct 04 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Dec 07 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...I just tried this on United for our vacation dates.

1 person = $469
    2 People = $529.50
    3 or more people = $661

That is a difference of $100/person if you have a family of three or more.

I smell a skunk. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    Recovering VMK Addict Avalanchefan

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what city you will leave from, but Delta has $167 RT from Providence to Orlando fare right now. I just had checked for myself tonight.

Example: depart 9/7 and return 9/15

Hope this helps

[ June 12, 2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Roland ]
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

I have also noticed this in the past--in fact, on one trip a couple of years ago I did split up the booking into two (I had to book my son with me or my husband). Fortunately this doesn't hold true with advertised specials.

Thanks for posting this information, Lottalubes. Maybe it can help someone else save some $$$. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the warning, this does seem awfully strange. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    January 2002 - Polynesian; May 2002 - Caribbean Beach; December 2002 - Polynesian; May 2003 - Wilderness Lodge; September 2003 - Grand Floridian (Our Disney Wedding!); March 2004 - Polynesian; May 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Jim & Brandie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info LottaLubes! [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll check this out for our dates in February. [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]
    <b>Eddy</b> <br /><br /><i>"Remember the Magic"</i> <br /><br /><i><b>*Happy Holidays!*</b></i><br /><br /><b>Next up:</b><br /><i>All Star Sports</i>-<b>February 2003</b><br /><br /><b>12</b> weeks and counting!<br /><br /><b><i>"We Go On"</i></b>

Post Thanks / Like

Hi-since I am in the travel business I will try and explain how this happens:

The airlines will have 100 seats (just for example) on a flight. This is how they will break it down:

10 seats are First Class-high fare/no restrictions
    10 seats are coach class-full fare say $500 per person-no restrictions such as non refundable
    then they will have 20 seats at $400
    another 20 seats at $300
    another 20 seats at $200
    and another 20 seats at $100.

Once the 20 seats at the $100 level sell out, then the price becomes $200 and then when they sell out it becomes $300. So there will be times when there are only 4 seats left in the $100 range and if you put in that you need 5 seats then it will give you a $200 per ticket price. And so on. I know it is confusing ((try doing it all day..haha ) But this sound answer your question. If you get a high price you should always try a lower amount of people. Then at least you can get some at the lower price and then only a couple more at the higher price!
    Hope this helps explain it!
    Have fun!
    Jenni b
    "if you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life."
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

What also may be the case is that there are only usually a few seats of each price class available. There may have only been a couple of seats available at that price.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: