Quantcast Who(m) has taken their kids out of school for a trip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I know some people have done this. Others consider it blasphemy - but don't flame me.

I planned our last trip (October 2001) because it was the last Autumn before our oldest child started kindergarten. We did WDW commando style (9 consecutive days). We'd like to go again but probably for only 6 - 7 days, skipping Animal Kingdom.

October was the perfect (best, IMO) time to go and we'd like to do it again. Any regrets from anyone that has pulled their kid out of school for a week?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely no regrets. We took out daughter out every other year until she started junior high. October is the best time of the year to go. She is a junior in high school now and we go every year during April school vacation. I can't wait to go to the October trips.
    Chris
    Living 60 minutes from WDW!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have done it for several years in Feb.

Our kids' teachers have been understanding and cooperative, they give them assignments to do while away. Just telling the teacher what you are planning on doing shows that you are concerned about your kids schooling. While that may not be enough for some, our teachers have been grateful that we realize that missing school is not something to be done cavalierly.

My kids are good students and still young (10 & 8) so missing a few days has no effect on their schooling.

Not sure what we will do when they get older.

Finally if the teacher gives assignments to be done on vacation, make sure your kids do them.
    2012 - AoA
    2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1986, 1985, 1974, 1973
    When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time. - The Wonder Years

Post Thanks / Like

I do. This last year when we went we took the girls out for a week and it was worth it. I worked with their teachers and everything was great. They were only in pre-k and kindergarden though. Teachers may not like it as much when they get older though.
    We are going again in March and I plan to take them out of school a week again
    ~~The Brat~~

Adults are obsolete children. -- Dr. Seuss
    In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul.
    My reality has become warped!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband hates crowds and heat so we have always taken our trips during the slow times at WDW. We have 2 boys (18 & 21) both are honor role students that miss very little school. I work with the teachers giving plenty of notice and feel that a vacation with the family is worth much more down the rode then missing a few days of school. I am also an employee of our school district. The only time we did not pull our oldest was last year during his senior year. I think that it depends a lot on the teacher and school district policy, but where my kids go the believe is a week with family can be a really great experience. It is not hard to add some learning with the trip. (EPCOT, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center etc..) Have a great time!!

Post Thanks / Like

OOPS!! That's 18 & 12 years of age. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We've taken our kids out of school several times at several stages of their schooling. Early elementary school is no problem at all (despite what some teachers may think). As the kids got older, more planning was required, but still there was no real issues, and the kids did just fine. The last 2 years we've gone in October with the youngest two kids. They're in high school now. All we did was ask each teacher to give us the week's work.

The boys did some of their homework on the plane down to Orlando. We set aside time every morning for them to do their work, before we went to play. In reality, both boys were motivated to get their work done quickly, and they did. By Tuesday, all the work was done, books read, and lines memorized for the Fall play.

The point is, you don't need to feel guilty about taking your kids out of school. You're right about there being those out there that would consider doing this blasphemy, but they're wrong (imho). Don't let them make you feel guilty.

Just go, have a great time with your kids and expand their minds with creativity on display all over WDW.

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

When I was younger my parents took my sister and I to disney every year. We
    would miss a week of school. It was a tradition in our family to all go together.
    Now, I'm married with 3 kids and I have followed tradition. We take our kids
    each year too!! I think family and traditions are soooo important. School will be
    there when they get back. Our teachers have always worked with us and gave
    us assignments and makeup work.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

To all of the above that have posted, consider yourselves blessed! We're taking our 5 & 8 yr olds out the 1st week of Sept. this year & I've been told the work will not be excused if we do. And it's not the teachers' fault. It's our poorly educated school system's rule. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] So now I'm stuck with coming up with an excuse for our kids to miss 4 days without telling a lie(because my children say this is not right) so as to not set a bad Christian example for our kids! HELP! Any ideas? [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] We do have relatives in Florida that I'm planning to visit on the trip. I thought I might just tell the teachers we're going to visit relatives in Florida. When the kids go back to school, they will talk about their trip, but if anyone confronts me, I was going to tell them that we went during our visit & hope that works! My 5yr old DD is starting Kindergarten, so I'm not too worried about her work not being excused. However, our 8yr old DS is in the 3rd grade gifted & talented program, so his work is usually alot & advanced. He needs to be able to make up the work. If no better ideas, please, wish us luck! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Tina RN<br />WDW summer 1980<br />7/90 Polynesian<br />12/95 offsite<br />9/02 FW Campgrounds<br />11/04 1st Disney Cruise!

Post Thanks / Like

For me and my brother to go this Thanksgiving (13,18) we're going to have to miss two days of school. It's the best we can do.I'll do my homework on the way down in the car.You think two days is too long?
    -Devin
    ROLL TIDE!!!
    "Celebrate The Future Hand In Hand"

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids have never been "excused" from the work and they shouldn't be.

The teachers have given them the assignments (homework, reading, worksheets, etc.) and they are expected to fulfill those assignments. If a report or project of some kind is due during the time we are gone it's expected to be turned in before we go.

It's not like the amount of work is tremendous. They get a big chunk of it done while waiting in the airport or on the plane. The rest is spread out over a few days (not everyday).
    2012 - AoA
    2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1986, 1985, 1974, 1973
    When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time. - The Wonder Years

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken my DS out of school. It has been my experience with my own and my nieces and nephews that most teachers are understanding and are used to this. As long as the child is doing well in school and there are no city wide tests most seem to be ok with it. I always tell the teacher well in advance and ask for the work that will be covered. Even though we are on vacation, we spend time doing school work and it's worth it. I also ask if there are any extra assignments they would like done. For example, my nephew's teacher asked that he do a one page report to share with the class when he got back on what he learned at his favorite EPCOT attraction (he chose energy).
    "Why Worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." WD

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't have any kids, but I know this topic has been discussed before.

Here's a link to that discussion.
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

BTW--it is "WHO takes their kids out of school..."

Who is the subject; whom is the object.

You will do what is most convenient for you and your family. Just remember that missing school can have ramifications. (I believe it was Newton who said that every action has an equal and opposite reaction....)

This is especially true as kids get older. A day in chemistry lab cannot be made up; yet the child is responsible for the material covered that day. And some teachers may be within their rights to refuse to give you the assignments before you leave, which means that your child will have an entire week's worth of work to make up.

I would look really hard at the school calendar and try to work missed days around conference days, teacher in-service days, etc.

[ August 05, 2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Gotta Love the TTA ]
    My son is a Henry. I never had a Willie or a Sam.

Post Thanks / Like

We take our kids out of school for a week in December. It was very hard last year for our 13 year old. The 7 year old still doesn't have a problem.

Just depends on your school and teachers. One junior high teacher never did accept the fact our daughter missed a week of school for a vacation last year. But she didn't miss any other school the rest of the year (oh, yeah, one day for an out of state funeral).

We are gone a week this year, so it will another battle with her 8th grade teachers.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Originally posted by Spindrift:
    Our kids have never been "excused" from the work and they shouldn't be.
    Let me clarify what I mean't by "excused". My kids will get zeroes for all assignments due during that time. They are not allowed to do the work before they leave or while on vacation. I would expect my kids to do their assignments anyway. As to the excuse I was going to use(visiting family), I just found out our family is coming here for Labor Day weekend to visit my parents! Now what am I supposed to do? șOșșOș
    Tina RN<br />WDW summer 1980<br />7/90 Polynesian<br />12/95 offsite<br />9/02 FW Campgrounds<br />11/04 1st Disney Cruise!

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

We have always taken our kids out of school when we go to WDW....have never regretted it. Be proactive and work with your teachers...give them plenty of notice.

Especially, while in grade school...they really don't miss that much if out of school for a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think that if you want to take the kids out of school and it's o.k. with the teachers, then do it. [img]smile.gif[/img] I choose not to take my kids out of school. They already have Christmas break, spring break and summer vacation. Unless the parent can not get any other time off of work, I see no reason to remove children from school. I know it's cooler and there are less lines during "off-season" and that is nice, but not really a good reason to miss school. My older 2 are in high school and with athletic practices, tests, etc, they just miss too much being out for a week. I am the school nurse at their school and I couldn't get a week off during the school year unless I saved up 2 years of personal days! But, like I said, it's your choice and you should do what is right for your family! It's just not something I choose to do. I know I'm in the minority with this one! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    We're back! It's time to plan our next trip to the World!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a touchy subject, but they are your kids and you can take them out of school if you want. Will there be consequences? Maybe, but if your kids do well in school I think they won't have a problem with either catching up or maintaining their grade without the work they missed. I think it is aweful that a school won't let kids do their work before, during, or after a trip. My boys were both in high school when we took them out. Their teachers said they wouldn't be excused either( meaning no doing it ahead of time or making it up)we all decided it was worth it to go anyway. They both got passing grades in all their classes and no one said anything about their missed days! We always take them out during school that way we get to go when it's not too crowded!
    Sheree
    WDW Trips:
    Countless trips between (12/96) through (3/07)
    (Disneyland) To many times to count!
    (7/2005) Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration
    (6/07) MOVED FROM FRESNO, CA TO
    APOPKA, FL - 30 MINUTES FROM WDW!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the support, especially WDW Crazy! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] I've been planning this vacation for too long to back out now! My kids will do well with or without making up the work! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: