Quantcast Resort "visiting" etiquette?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Hi all! I'm a frequent lurker here and love this site! My question is this: How much of a "visit" to another resort is acceptable? DH and I (and two children, ages 1 and 3) will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge this fall (Hooray!)and would like to visit some of the other resorts (GF, Yacht & Beach Club, AKL, etc.) to see if maybe we'd like to stay there in the future. I had read in previous threads that in one instance, fully clothed adults having a drink sitting near the pool area were asked to leave a resort. Not trying to use the pool, just sitting there. I'm guessing they weren't guests there, but maybe of another resort? I know that "pool hopping" is not acceptable. I just thought we might have lunch or dinner at one or more of the other resorts and then hang around enjoying the atmosphere and shopping etc. I would hate to embarass myself by being where I would be asked to leave. What's the general consensus on how much of a "visit" would be OK? Can we just eat and shop, but not linger outside? Can we sit in the lobby? Use the children's arcades/game rooms?

Thanks in advance for your help - we're still new at this..
    WDW - numerous day trips<br />Contemporary - Sept. 2001 (1st time staying "on-site" - now we're hooked! <br />Wilderness Lodge - Nov. 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

To eat and visit any of the resorts is very exceptable, even welcomed. The only thing is that the area around the Stormalong Bay is restricted to Beach and Yatch Club guests. This area gets VERY crowded sometimes so they do check ID's. Other than that you are welcomed to go anywhere on any of the properties. HAve a GREAT trip!!!
    Jan 93 Disney Villa's
    May 96 Port Orleans
    Apr 97 Off Prop.
    Oct 98 All Star Music
    May 01 All Star Sports
    Feb 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    May 02 Beach Club
    Sep 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct 02 Polynesian
    Feb 03 Polynesian
    Oct 04 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Dec 07 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

no problem - sometimes the security guard will limit you to 3 hours - look in the gift shops too - sometimes you can find a bargin.
    Pat<br />DVC Owner OKW 93, BWV 95, VWL 00<br />too many off site and on site hotels<br />DVC resorts visit:<br />OKW 93 thru 2004 /BWV 95,97,99,02<br />VWL 2000 - 2003 /BCV 02

Post Thanks / Like

We love "hopping" and browsing through the other resorts and eating at other resorts' restaurants. We have never had a problem or been asked to leave. Since we know that pool hopping is a no-no, sometimes when staying at the WL we'll cruise over to the Poly and just sit and play on the beach. I love all of the different atmospheres that the resorts have to offer. And our favorite restaurants are scattered among the different resorts.

Go explore and have fun!!

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Susan

First visit - January 1972 Polynesian "Village" Resort (I was 5)
    Visits (1972 - 2007) - 18 all to Poly/WL/BCV/POR

Next Up: Nov 09 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We always make a PS at a resort we're not staying at eat, shop, and explore the resort.

Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

[img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] Welcome to Intercot! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

I have never heard of guest from another resort sitting at the pool bar and being asked to leave. Maybe their kids were swimming in the pool.

We stay at FW, and always take an evening to make a 'resort loop' of Cont., Poly., and GF. This is a tradition for my family since the mid 70's when we first started going. (Back then it was just the Cont. and Poly.) This gives us an opportunity to ride the monorail also.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!

Enjoy your time at the other resorts. I had no idea it could have even been a problem. We always resort hop, look around, enjoy the surroundings. We've never even had anyone do a double take. How would they know if you're not guests or not? So enjoy yourselves!
    ~*~Renee~*~<br /><br />"Zip-a-dee-do-dah..Tip for today!"<br /><br />"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"<br /><br />~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:<br />DL-ALOT!<br />Since being married with children:<br />DL '99~Off Site<br />DW '00~Off Site<br />DL '01~Off Site<br />DW~05/02-Contemporary<br />NEXT UP: May, 2004-WL? Poly?

Post Thanks / Like

You can stay as long as you want, provided you don't decide to fall asleep on the couches in the lobby for the night

The way I see it, there is no way for any of the hotel staff to know what hotel you are staying at and which guests belong to that hotel. I can't see how they would ever tell someone he/she had to leave unless they were behaving inappropriately.

WDW welcomes guest visits to their hotels. I have been to every hotel at least once and have spent numerous HOURS exploring different resorts. No one will bother you.

You don't even need to eat at one of the restaurants to have an 'excuse' to go there. Just go! Especially if you take WDW resort transportation, you won't be limited to how long you can stay there.

If you drive your own car, you will be asked the purpose of your visit, and usually given a 3 hour pass (so you don't park there for free and then hop the bus to the parks).

Have a great time "resort hopping". [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you wash behind your ears before you visit, you can stay.

I would believe they would ask non resort guests to leave as far as the pool because it is an amenity for the paying guess. But as far as walking around, I don't think they would care if you are a guest at another resort or strolled in from Downtown Disney.

The question on my mind would be, how could one tell that someone at a pool is not a guest of that resort?
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have never had a problem visiting other resorts. A meal is always a great excuse to go, but I have once or twice gone to resorts to find a specific gift that was only available at the specific resort. I've never had a problem when I told them I was there to do some shopping. Honesty is the best policy.
    As far as them knowing whether or not you are a guest if you are in the pool, I guess it can be difficult, but I'd rather not be embarassed by being asked to leave. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] But that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

the lifeguards and cm at Epcot resorts - BC/YC and BWV/BW have asked for room keys before - they know the code for their resorts - so if your key does not match their resorts yes you can be asked to leave. DVC members are the only group that can pool hop and we don't get to go to the AKL or after July BC/YC/BCV.
    Pat<br />DVC Owner OKW 93, BWV 95, VWL 00<br />too many off site and on site hotels<br />DVC resorts visit:<br />OKW 93 thru 2004 /BWV 95,97,99,02<br />VWL 2000 - 2003 /BCV 02

Post Thanks / Like

We have never been lucky enough to stay on property, but we always visit resorts, usually to eat, but we have also used the little speedboats at the Poly and the 4 person bike things at the CB. These are both available for hire to anyone, Disnry residents or not, but off property visitors have to leave photo ID. I think some people dont realise these things are available to anyone (You pay for them, of course!) and they make a lovely break for an afternoon. Im afraid I am the only Intercotee who was not impressed with Ohanas, I think both the restaurant and my family were having a bad day, but everywhere else we have really enjoyed our meals

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We have resort hopped on all of our trips. We have never had a problem with staying as long as we wanted. That is how we found the wilderness lodge. I made the mistake of letting my wife resort hop over there on one of our trips and we have stayed there ever since [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    so just remember resort hopping can cause you to
    (A) want to return to WDW
    (B) want to stay at all the deluxe resorts
    (C) Plan uncontrollably

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Whoever posted "Honesty is the best policy" is right.

They WANT you in that resort.
    they just want an excuse to let you in!!!

Living here, we go almost every weekend to the resorts.

some weekends we stay the night.. some we don't

We haven't been treated differently either way.
    You're always treated like you're a guest!

So you're right, they can't tell the difference between a guest and a non-guest... and to tell the truth.. they don't really care, either.

my 2 cents.
    Education Instructor - Disney's Animal Kingdom <br /><br />Call (407)WDW-TOUR to book your "Wild by Design" or "Backstage Safari" Education Program at Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks, you guys! I knew I could count on you! We're looking forward to our trip and, as was mentioned, I'm sure visiting all the resorts will make us want to stay there soon! I'll be hanging around here as much as possible.

thanks again!
    WDW - numerous day trips<br />Contemporary - Sept. 2001 (1st time staying "on-site" - now we're hooked! <br />Wilderness Lodge - Nov. 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Actually they love to have you visit, shop, and dine; they don't however want a lot of cars in the parking lots preventing the resort guests from having a place to park, and as a paying guest I don't either.

If the resort is near capacity you may be given an 3 hour limit to park in the lots. If you take the monorail over you won't have the limit.

Enjoy the visit.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: