Quantcast Typhoon Lagoon

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Typhoon Lagoon

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone else intimidated by the wave pool. My 8-year-old daughter wants to go back there, but last year, I was a nervous wreck with the bodies crashing into each other.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We love the wave pool and have been many times. In 1996 we took several neices with us on a trip. My, then 8 years old, neice Sarah, loved the wave pool. She screamed and climbed on me everytime the wave came (I about got drown) and then couldn't wait for the next wave. We spent the whole time during the big waves in the wave pool. Even if we were waiting in line for a water slide, she wanted to go back as soon as the big waves started again. While the pool is very crowded, I've never seen anyone hurt. I have been bumped and have bumped others, but never seen an injury. Water, in this situation, is pretty forgiving. I say go for it. The wave pool at TP is the first thing Sarah talks about (still) when WDW comes up.
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I love when people scream when the wave pool makes the ::PHOOM:: noise. I sit there in awe. [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]

STeVo
    [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    șoș

Post Thanks / Like

The closer you are to the beach the waves will knock you down. But the closer in you just kinda float up and down. Maybe knock into a person or two. No big deal. I had a hard time convincing my DH of this. Finally I got him out there and he was surprised. He couldn't believe the diffence.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes....
    10/96 WL
    09/00 DL,CO & WL
    08/01 WL
    09/01 DVC owner - VWL
    10/03 WL
    09/07 WL

Post Thanks / Like

I did not like the wave pool too much. It was really neat but it was very crowded the day we were there. DH and I kept landing on EVERYONE and EVERYONE kept landing on us. We only stayed in the wave pool for about 20 minutes before we decided it was not safe for us. As for an 8yr old I would have to say if he/she is a strong swimmer than have them try it. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Nov./Dec. 1993 Off Site<br />July 1995 Off Site<br />August 1997 Dixie Landings(Honeymoon)<br />Feb. 1999 All Star Music<br />Nov./Dec. 2000 All Star Movies (my sons first vistit 4 months old)<br />May 2002 All Star Movies<br />Oct. 25 -29, 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge ..... Just back, had a great time, and it was HOT.<br /><br />New disney baby due date 1-27-03

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago my wife established a world-record losing-and-finding-a-contactlens in The Big Wave: she was standing chest-deep when the wave flushed a lens... after a short moment of panic she looked around (one-eyed ) and then found it floating... It took her a while to realize that this was very special....
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

I was very intimidated by the wave. Now if you know me by my trip reports, I can't get enough of slides and such, I love the water. But something about the wave and the cement floor... [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] , not a good mix. I kept thinking I was going to hit it real hard, not to mention knocking into everyone else, just didn't like it at all.
    Mar.99,00,01,02-Dixie Landings Resort; Jan,2004 (9th-18th)- First DVC trip, Beach Club Villas; April,2005 7 days Boardwalk Villas and first Disney cruise on the Wonder!; June, 2006- First time on the Disney Magic, can't wait!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back Monday [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] ! My 6 year old (and the 11 and 14 year olds) loved it ! Get a life vest at the locker/towel barn (free) for the 8-year-old and go for it. We bumped others some, but the only scrapes we got were way in towards the shore- as someone else said, if it's too shallow you'll hit bottom and the waves are worse. The bottom is VERY rough- painted with a very sandy paint. Go out further!
    WDW:
    '71 Off Site
    '78 Fort Wilderness Campground
    '85 Off Site
    '92 Carribean Beach R.
    '97 All Star Sports
    '99 All Star Sports
    '02 Port Orleans Riverside
    '05 POP Century
    '08 POFQ

DLP:
    '08 Paris Apartment

WDW:
    '12 POP, Hilton BC, POP

Currently in Disney Withdrawl...sniff

Post Thanks / Like

Try in the center of the beach area in front the island. There is a "sand" bar there where I've seen a lot of small children play. If all else fails ....the lazy river rafts RULE!!
    2016 Contemp
    2014 C B
    2013 Contemp x2
    2012 AS Movies
    2010 Contemp
    2009 C B
    2008 C B
    2007 C B
    2005 Poly
    2004 C B
    2003 Cruise / Poly
    2002 Cruise / Port
    2001 Poly
    2000 C B
    1999 C B
    1998 C S
    1997 outside park
    1996 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1971-96 numerous Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what Kanga said! I got creamed trying to SIT near the edge with my 6-year-old and the concrete is VERY rough!! Get life vests for the little ones and head out farther. There is only one big wave at a time (with a break between each one) to regroup. We loved it!!! My eight-year-old would swim up to the line (where life vests cannot cross) and see how far the wave would push him in. It's incredibly far!! We never rammed anyone because everyone is flowing in the same direction. It was awesome! The older kids spent over an hour doing this! Try it once and see what happens... Enjoy!!
    1971 - offsite<br />1980 - offsite<br />1992 - Carribean Beach<br />1997 - All-Star Sports<br />1999 - All-Star Sports<br />May 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think the "bark" of the waves is worse than the "bite." They look huge and intimidating, but really, as long as you're a strong swimmer, you'll be just fine. I didn't bump into anybody, but the crowds were very moderate. Later on in the summer, it might be different.
    Clayton (A Girl)

MY NAME IS AWESOME AND I CAN COUNT TO POTATO!!!

We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do...and all our wishes will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

Whe we were there last year I took my daughter to the left of the wave pool (if you are looking at the ship). There is a small bit of a curve there. Although the wave still come there it does not seem quite at strong. I made sure she was no deeper than her knees before the waves started. When they finally did I would stand with my back to the wave and hold her hands while she stood facing me. The wave would crash the back of my legs and sweep her off her feet but I had her hands so it was like whe was hanging. She loved it and I felt a bit more comfortable.
    Jan 93 Disney Villa's
    May 96 Port Orleans
    Apr 97 Off Prop.
    Oct 98 All Star Music
    May 01 All Star Sports
    Feb 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    May 02 Beach Club
    Sep 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct 02 Polynesian
    Feb 03 Polynesian
    Oct 04 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Dec 07 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I do have a thumbs up with the wave. I usually don't stay in it real long because it usually is very crowded when I am there. I also agree that I have nvere seen anyone get hurt. Yes, sometimes I have seen people bump into eachother but usually see only laughter when that happens. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: