Quantcast Attraction of the Week 12/30 -- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

”One stormy night long ago, five people stepped in the door of an elevator and into a nightmare. That door is opening once again and this time, it's opening for you."

I confess; I was able to escape the torture of this attraction until my youngest reached the height requirement in March. [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]

All I can say is; “Wow!”. I was so dang petrified. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img] I didn’t want to scare Shayne so I kept my anxiety all bottled up. When we reached the bell man at the library...............Whoa! Was he freaky. What a fantastic job this guy did. He had the biggest bug eyes I’ve ever seen. Boy did he take advantage of that asset. (insert heebie-jeebies here!)

I am now a proud survivor of the Tower of Terror. [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img] Needless to say - once was enough for all of us. My little dude got the T-shirt - when it was Mom that really deserved it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I felt like such an idiot being so afraid.

I’m glad I went. Of course I should mention my little daredevil can’t wait to venture beyond the deepest, darkest corner of his imagination again in February.

I have a phobia of heights. Hence, my lack of enthusiasm for dropping in this elevator. Did you have to force yourself to take the first plunge?

[img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to tell the truth about this, I have yet to take the plunge. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I am so scared of so many coasters and such, that going on ToT seems ridiculous! Judging by all the praise it gets around here, especially in a post just a week or so ago, I am planning on riding RnRC first (something else I have never done) and depending on how that goes, ToT comes next! [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Jared?? [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] I have taken the plunge a few times, and loved it every single time! Not only does is the actual drop great, but I love the special affects before it. You ride the elavator up, and then o out. One of the best thrill rides I have been on! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    <b>Eddy</b> <br /><br /><i>"Remember the Magic"</i> <br /><br /><i><b>*Happy Holidays!*</b></i><br /><br /><b>Next up:</b><br /><i>All Star Sports</i>-<b>February 2003</b><br /><br /><b>12</b> weeks and counting!<br /><br /><b><i>"We Go On"</i></b>

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Sorry, I just couldn't help re-posting this from a previous thread!:

I would just like to say that I rate the Tower of Terror as the best ride in the world!
    ..Walt Disney World that is! (and probably everywhere else as well!)
    I never tire of it!

Maybe its:
    ...the outside of the hotel and hearing the screems as the shutters open every few seconds..?

..the creepy hotel lobby that reminds me of the Pennsilvania Hotel in New York (only cleaner!)

..or the spooky twighlight zone introduction?

..or could it be the scary cast members (that really should get out and into the sun more!)?

..or the air of anticipation, as you get seated, knowing that some of the people in the elevator have never ridden the ride before and are totally spooked!

..or sitting next to a really large person and knowing that you'll get to leave your seat even more!!?

..or holding my hands in the air to get the full PULL DOWN EFFECT!!!!?

..or hearing the screams of the first-timers as their stomachs bounce between their mouths and their seats!?

[img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] &lt;- this guy does a good impression of the ride experience!!!

..or looking at the photos of shocked faces afterwards?

..or running around to have another go?

Whatever it is! Its one heck of a great ride / all round experience! ..and I love it! ..hope you all do too! See you in the twighlight zone in January!

..any challengers for best WDW ride?

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]</p>
    45 years young, father of two and big kid from England.... lost count of trips every year now since 1999 and have 3 trips booked! HURRAY!

(I LOVE "MARRIED-2-WDW-NUT" (AND SPACESHIP EARTH! AND CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS! AND TOWER OF TERROR AND THE DISNEY CRUISE LINE!))

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Just had to add I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ToT - I can't wait until I can take my own son on with me. He's only 3 - and is a shorty, at that. If he was close, I would be tempted to stuff his shoes with a stack of papertowels to give him a few inches! He's a daredevil just like his mom! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    9/02 - Our first trip home! BCV/AKL<br />7/02 - AKL<br />5/02 - Offsite (Resort World)<br />**** PROUD DVC OWNERS, BCV!! ****<br />1/02 - OKW/WL<br />9/01 - ASMu<br />5/01 - AKL<br />1992- offsite<br />1983- offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I love the TOT
    When I first went on it, I wasn't hesitant at all !!!! but then, I'm a thrill ride junkie [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Fantasmic ]</p>
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

You guys won't beleive this. I am teenager (I am suposed to like thrills) but I got really scared of the ToT. I didn't rode it and I am not sure if I will have the guts to ride someday. Does anyone have any tips on how to take over your fears and ride the ToT???? I really wana ride it but the drop its what scares me!

C-ya
    ERIC [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ERIC<br />Fall'04 College Program Alumni <br />Epcot Rescue Ranger!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

The first time that I attempted to ride the ToT, my daughter chickened out right before we sat down on the elevator. I have to admit that I was a little pleased that she did (I was having second thoughts.), and I eagerly assisted her to the gift shop while my other family members rode it. Afterwards they met us and was beaming from excitedness, so I had to see what it was all about. I am terrified of heights. I can't even climb a small ladder (no joke). Well, I was feeling brave because I had just conquered my beloved RnRC, so I decided to try it. I was so nervous. I had a grip on the lap bar like you wouldn't believe. When it got dark, I didn't know when it would drop, so I was holding on tight just in case. The worst part of this ride is the anticipation of that first drop. That will kill you if you let it. Anyway, I ended up loving it and riding it nine more times.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Does anyone have any tips on how to take over your fears and ride the ToT???? I really wana ride it but the drop its what scares me!

C-ya
    ERIC [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Hey Eric, TOT really is not that bad! You cannot get hurt, you are strapped in and the experience is nowhere near as intense as rides like the Rock'N'Rollercoaster! The actual up and down section only lasts maybe 20 seconds!

Yes, many people scream, becuase it is an exhilerating experience, but it really is not frightening to ride! I reckon once you've taken the plunge wou will be hooked!

..give it a try! ..even if you chicken out at the last moment, you can tell the CMs at the door to the elevator and leave without any major embarassement!
    45 years young, father of two and big kid from England.... lost count of trips every year now since 1999 and have 3 trips booked! HURRAY!

(I LOVE "MARRIED-2-WDW-NUT" (AND SPACESHIP EARTH! AND CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS! AND TOWER OF TERROR AND THE DISNEY CRUISE LINE!))

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

One of the best rides in DW. I'm generally terified of roller coasters (though I have gone on both RnRC and SM) but this ride never frightened me at all. On the other hand, my DH couldn't drag me on the coasters at Busch Gardens in Virginia! Now, those are scary! [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I love this ride. Of all the different times I've ridden, the last has to be the best. We were there in August with friends. My whole family loves TOT but the other family had never done it. After finally getting the mother and daughter on we finally convinced the father to do it. He was absolutely terrified, but we dragged him kicking and screaming. Well he did not like the ride and was really scared. When we went to check out the picture it was way too funny. The scared one had been screaming his head off and we had all been laughing. The picture did not look that way though. It looked liked the rest of us were scared out of our minds, but the guy who really was scared looked totally bored. Of course we bought two copies.
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]
    ToT is a great ride! The first time you go on it the first drop takes your breath away, but after that it's pure enjoyment. I went on it four times in a row last October when there weren't any lines (although the Standby Line Timer said there were the customary "13 minutes" of waiting!)

In fact, we had the funniest experience during one of those rides. A couple from England was getting on with their little girl; she looked to be about 8-years-old. They sat behind us on the elevator and the little girl was so soft-spoken during the pre-drop part of the ride. What a surprise once the drops started! That little girl let out the loudest, most blood-curdling screams I have ever heard and they didn't stop until the elevator stopped dropping. I think she was a little embarassed afterwards, but we told her that screaming on ToT just makes the ride more fun! (Incidentally, she did enjoy the ride too!) [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

TOT is probably my favorite ride aside from POTC. I used to be terrified of rollercoasters and pretty much any thrill ride really. But one summer when I was on vacation in WDW (1999 to be exact) - I was determined to go on TOT. I completely came over my fear that summer. I went on every rollercoaster (including RnRc) as well as Tower of Terror (3 or 4 times IN A ROW). The vacation was one of the best I have EVER had. Lord of the Dance in WDW, TOT, POTC, it was awesome. To all those to scared to ride TOT - try it! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

BEST ATTRACTION EVER!!!!!!

-Best Thrill

-Best Story Line Intertwine

-Best Pre-show themeing

-Best Show Themeing

-Best use of effects and technology

(well, atleast in my opinon)
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I liken the physical effects of this ride to a car ride down hill at a high rate of speed. Where one may feel as if their stomach was left at the top. We LOVE it. It is my older daughter's favorite.
    Have a Disney Day! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Deb [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I to, am afraid of heights, but I just had to go on the TofT. I was scared the first time but now it is always one of the first rides I go on. Someone told me if you put a penny on you knee, it will look like its floating when the picture gets taken. I've never done it because all I keep hearing in my mind is my mother: its all fun and games til someone gets their eye poked out! [img]graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

hehe. I wanna try it. I know it works with some rollercoasters with tennis balls and stuff(not from doing it myself though). I wanna try it - never would have the courage too (just incase it flew at someone - OUCH!). Maybe try it with a koosh ball or something? Let it go right before the drop? Better be quick to catch it though. hehe. [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! It's 2002! [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my favorites. I was up and ready for the challenge when I went on it for the first time. But, like Amy, I'm a rail junkie so it wasn't a sweat.

I was very surprised to see all of the interesting special effects. I had thought (way back when) it was just a "go up and come down" thing.

John has gotten me hooked on the seatbelt seat now...
    Casey (aka DisneyWizard, Wizzy)

Post Thanks / Like

just a heads up, i love rnrc but i can't stand tot. don't know why but.... it's just on of those things.
    [*]2011 Wilderness Camp Ground Apr 17-21
    [*]2009 Pop
    [*]2007 - 2010 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2005 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2002 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2001 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2000 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1998 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1989 Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite attraction in MGM and quite possibly the best overall attraction in WDW. An imagineering feat in both the actual ride and the theming. This is one of the best theming jobs of any attraction on Earth. The feeling of being inside a deserted hotel on the dark side of Hollywood and being dropped into the Twilight Zone creates great excitement. WDW magic at its best. [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Tower of Terror inspired the quote that is in my signature.

I got to ride in the seatbelt seat for the first time ever last Sunday and it is now my favorite seat in the elevator.
    [ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: SpecJoe Magic ]

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: SpecJoe Magic ]</p>
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: