Quantcast Chinese New Year

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me where I could get information on any special events that Epcot's China Pavillion might be having for the Chinese New Year. My four year old has been begging to have a Chinese New Year party. I know nothing about the Chinese New Year except that it is February 12th this year. WHAT LUCK!!!! We will be in WDW from February 7 - 15! So I guess WDW is throwing the party for her. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t heard of anything yet. A lot of the Epcot entertainment is not published until a week or so in advance. I suggest calling Guest Relations and ask them. They might have information in their computer.

If I hear or see anything - I’ll pass it along. We’ll be there at that time too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone have experience from a previous year?
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.. they have always celebrated Chinese New years in Epcot in the past. This year is Year of the Horse.

Chinese New Years is traditionally celebrated wherever there are chinese people, check times in the map for the fireworks that evening in China, plus expect to see the dance with the dragon and other entertainment. There is usually a special activity at the Kidcot station that day.
    There are no specifics yet on this years event.

Some ways you can also celebrate with her..

- Have her wear red that day... it is the color of joy and luck. Not to mention it will scare away dragons.

- If you want to have some extra fun give her a packet (a red envelope gift) containing "lucky money". (I'd sub Disney dollars here) givin to all unmarried children at the start of the Chinese New year.

- Find out what year she was born in if you don't already know. The 12 animals that succefully made the journey to Buddha when they were summond were each honoured with a Year in their name 12 animals.

Tell her a chinese tradition. Here is one..

A Chinese New Year celebration would not be complete without fireworks. There are many beliefs about why fireworks are used. One is that the noise wakes up the dragon who will fly across the sky to bring the spring rain for the crops. Another belief is that the noise of the fireworks is supposed to scare away all evil spirits and misfortunes, preventing them from coming into the new year. In fact, gunpowder was invented in China over 1000 years ago for that very purpose. Firecrackers are thrown at the feet of the dragons in the parade to keep them awake for the celebration. The dragons are believed to sleep the rest of the year.

Have fun! I think it's great she'll get her party.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Patricia ]</p>
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, Patricia. I love the red envelope thing. Now I think I am as excited as she is.

Polygirl, maybe we'll see each other at the Chinese New Year Celebration!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: