Quantcast Marathon and Crowds

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I am already going to Disney this May, but with an AP, I am also thinking of going in Jan 2003. In early Jan I won't miss any college classes and we might catch the end of the Christmas decorations.

So, what are the affects of the Marathon on crowds in the parks? I know transportation can be difficult due to road closures, but are people in/watching the race likely to be in the parks on the days before and after?
    May 2005 ???? (planning)<br />Jan 2003 SOG @ CR<br />May 2002 CBR<br />May 2000 PO<br />Feb 1998 CSR<br />Jan 1995 DL<br />Jan 1993 CBR<br />1975 - 1990 Many trips Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

We just got back from our trip 1/1/02 to 1/6/02. I was worried about 18,500 marathoners and their families, but we did not have any trouble with crowds.

I will confess that all of my trips have been during off-peak times (early Nov. and early Jan). However, we did not find any of the waits excessive. (well--OK--we did skip Living with the Land at Epcot because the line was 60 minutes, but this was at 12:30, a really busy time for that area)

The only impact the marathon seemed to have on us was a traffic jam Sunday morning. We had a PS for Hollywood and Vine at 9:30--left the WL at 8:45. Got stuck in traffic. But because I was on a Disney bus it didn't bother me at all. (I like to let the bus driver worry about that) [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

(If I am reading my map correctly, World Drive was closed for the marathon, and traffic was diverted onto Bonnet Creek Pkwy, FYI.)

After breakfast, we saw lots of runners literally limping back to the hotel. My suspicion was that they were not too eager to spend more time on their feet and were more likely to spend time eating and resting than hitting the parks.

Marathon day was our last day, so I don't know what the situation was after the marathon, but the days before were very do-able.

Have a great time.

Oh yeah--check the weather before you go. It was cold (34/58) when we were there. We had our winter coats/hats/gloves, but there were lots of people terribly unprepared (and quite cold)

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Gotta Love the TTA ]</p>
    My son is a Henry. I never had a Willie or a Sam.

Post Thanks / Like

Crowds were GREAT on Sunday (for us, of course). Hardly any lines whatsoever in Magic Kingdom.

I ran the 1/2 Marathon in the morning, went back to Coronado Springs, took a quick shower and left the room (just made it out in time for 11am check-out). I'm not exactly in great shape and I was certainly one of the "limpers" after it first ended, but I went over to MK after showering. I stayed there until about 4 or 5pm, then drove 4 hours back to Miami. Considering that we had to be on the buses to get to the Marathon by 3:30am, I was exhausted by the time I got home. I could barely unpack!

Post Thanks / Like

We are going Jan.1-5,2003. Is the first week of Jan. always marathon week?
    Shonnie <p><b>CBR June 2001</b><br /><b>Next Trip 2003!</b>

Post Thanks / Like

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SMG:
    We are going Jan.1-5,2003. Is the first week of Jan. always marathon week?<hr></blockquote>

previously, yes. Next year it's 1/12/03.

Post Thanks / Like

1/12/03? That sounds great. I was planning on 1/1 - 1/11 so the marathon my not affect me at all. Thanks for all the replies!
    May 2005 ???? (planning)<br />Jan 2003 SOG @ CR<br />May 2002 CBR<br />May 2000 PO<br />Feb 1998 CSR<br />Jan 1995 DL<br />Jan 1993 CBR<br />1975 - 1990 Many trips Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We were at MGM on Saturday and the crowds were haevier than normal for this time of year but not unbearable. I didn't realize why until I say the marathon on the news the next day. I would think Sunday would have been lighter since they just ran a marathon and porbably wouldn't want to walk another inch. [img]graemlins/sleepin.gif[/img]
    John [aka joho0]<br />Central Floridian and Disney World fanatic for 30 years<br /><br /><i>May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all that come to this happy<br />place...a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn together.</i><br />- Roy O. Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

My husband ran the marathon in '99 and we spent the week before in the parks. The crowds were VERY managable, some of the best we have ever encountered. Had a great trip that year. Good luck with your planning! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Melanie
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Melanie aka Melanears șOș

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: