Quantcast Reasons NOT to join DVC - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joined over summer

We joined over the summer. We are part of Saratoga Springs. We will be staying for the first time this weekend. I will let you know my reasons not to join.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who actually gave the negative reasons for not joining DVC...Thanks...this has been a family discussion for a long time and I think we can make a better informed decision based on some of the things that we have read. So once again, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCeee
    the next day he called our room like 4 times! When we told him that we were NOT going to go for it right now, he just about lost it! He became very rude, saying that this was the way he made his living and so on.... (Like we didn't know that). At that point we realized we had made the right choice. For us, not buying in was the right choice, and still is.
    That's ridiculous. Our sales person was very relaxed and professional. I would have reported behavior like what you experienced.
    Kevin Wertz
    Wertz Family
    Garner, NC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Point values for non-DVC resorts?

Oh hey I have a question. Can somebody give me an idea how many points it costs to stay at, say, the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian?
    Kevin Wertz
    Wertz Family
    Garner, NC

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

During Value Season(1/1-2/16, 7/4-9/28, 10/30-12/19) Poly would be 35points Sun-Thur and 63 Fri-Sat...GF would be 39points Sun-Thur and 70 Fri-Sat. This would be for a standard view room only. Based on the fact that you could probably easily rent those same points to someone for $10/point -it's really not worth it to apply your points to Disney Resorts. I would rent my points and use the money to pay cash for my room. For instance, I could rent 35 points for $350 and book the Poly for 250(?) or so. Forget staying on a Fri or Sat.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like those point values are actually more than what it costs for a DVC resort for that same time period, correct?
    Kevin Wertz
    Wertz Family
    Garner, NC

Post Thanks / Like

Correct - always better points value to stay at a DVC resort.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Because our sales person told us that those resorts were actually less points, but she never did give us a list.
    Kevin Wertz
    Wertz Family
    Garner, NC

Post Thanks / Like

yup cost a lot more points to stay at a non-DVC resort but considering that in many cases the DVC resorts would be more in cash than those resorts, the use of points at a DVC resort is a good value.
    mouseDVC

Making our 8th trip in December 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys and gals, this thread is supposed to be about Reasons to Not Join DVC. These are good and valid questions, but how about opening a new thread if you want to know about the number of points or value of points at a Disney resort, etc. If someone wanted to search for the questions you are asking, they would have difficulty finding them because they are buried in an unrelated topic. Thanks
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

After sifting through the flames, I have found this thread to be very informative. I have never been interested in time-shares, or things of that nature, but have always wondered how Disney was different. I now know that I am not missing out on something that would be to my personal likeing, although I understand others might perfer these types of arrangments.

As someone pointed out the "quest" is part of the fun for me, I figure half the enjoyment of a vacation is the research & planning, it lastes much longer than the vacation itself.
    Disney D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smee
    If you usually stay in Value resorts and don't enjoy moderate to Deluxe resorts ... don't join DVC.
    That was kind of harsh, don't you think?

yikes.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I was sorely tempted by DVC when I first heard about it. It appears to be a good deal for those who got in on the ground floor, but now it's better for those who have a lot of disposable income.

My only experience with timeshares came through a friend who bought into a lakefront campground. They bought a very nice trailer and spent two weeks in the summer and almost every weekend camping. When her marriage broke up, she tried to sell her timeshare. No takers..... she was stuck with it. Had to take a huge loss.

It didn't sound like my cup of tea, and neither does DVC. If I had bought when they first opened up the properties, I'd probably be happy about it. The thing is, if I buy a condo somewhere, that condo is mine forever. And it gets passed on to my heirs.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

I've been tempted to buy into the DVC a number of times... But one issue that holds me back.. MONEY!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reconsidering...

I have been a member for nearly two years. My last trip, I really started questioning whether I wanted to keep my membership.

Why I don't like it:
    * The best value for your points is at DVC resorts. All other stays seem like a waste of points when you can get discounts.

* Towells, towells, towells. This past trip, I stayed 7 nights in a studio. The washer and dryer were in a different building. Unless I want to pay extra (decreases the "discount" you get with your points) I only got trash and towell service once. I didn't like having a pile of dirty towells and no clean ones coming. I am not sure why they can't do something similar to the pool where you can drop off used towells and pick up new ones. Since I travel so much for work, I've become a bit of a hotel snob. Not having fresh, clean towells really bothered me!

* room layout. I really don't like that you have to spend a lot of points to get two regular beds (unless you're staying at OKW). I was in a studio with just my daughter and thought how crowded it would be with any more people and how uncomfortable it must be to sleep on the sofa sleeper. The studio room size started reminding me of the All Star resorts.

* Vacation diversity. My family had vacationed at Disney 6 times in about 4 years. Now, I've been going to different cities and countries and haven't made it back to Orlando as often. DVC just isn't a great value for non-DVC resorts (see point #1), so it has become less of a fit for me.

Why I bought:
    * There was a posting that helped me decided to purchase. It was from an accountant who had crunched the numbers and said it wasn't a financial investment but a family investment. I didn't grow up with vacations, I love Disney and we had been going to Disney frequently. I saw it as a way to force vacations to happen (don't want to waste points!) and a way to stay at the top tier resorts without paying a lot. I often would price the Yaht and Beach and just couldn't justify the price. I stayed at the Grand Floridian for less money on one trip than I could stay there. I think my daughter would love the water park area, so I saw DVC as a way to get to that resort without the high cost. I saw it as a way to ensure our family would take time together to vacation.

Give me another year and we'll see if I'm an owner or a seller.
    2015 Boardwalk, 14 Saratoga, 13 Boardwalk, 12 Boardwalk,11 Poly, 10 Saratoga, 09 OKW, 08 OKW, 07 OKW, 06 Saratoga, 05 Saratoga, 04 Hilton Head, 04 Disneyland Hotel, 03 Grand Floridian, 03 Caribbean Beach, 02 Wilderness Lodge, 02 Caribbean Beach, 01 Music, 00 Music, 95 Yacht Club, 89 Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dvc

DH and I have discussed getting a DVC membership many times and are still undecided. These are the two negative points that I see:

- I can rent DVC points now without the hassle of membership fees and the large up front cost.

- The membership expires

DH and I have rented DVC points on a number of occasions and spend less than we would even using the best AP rate. Also, if I were to buy into DVC I would want to be able to keep it forever if I wanted it - I think DVC members get jipped with an expiration date.

Still undecided.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Default recent stay disappointment

My dad is a DVC member and gave us a week at the Boardwalk villas as a Christmas gift. We just got back a few days ago. I was disgusted at the lack of cleanliness of the room (hair all over the bathroom) and have noticed that whenever we go now we never get a nice view of EPCOT. I'm suspicious that, since they already have your money and you've "bought in", that they give you lesser accomodations and service. Anyone else notice this? Forgive me if this has already been addressed but i haven't logged on in like 3 years (!) and didn't read the entire thread.
    -Jim ("My name's Jim, but most people call me...Jim") Born 10/1/71- The day WDW opened! "A new life has begun, when two of us are one, and we live to keep the promise- we'll go on."

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree that you have good reasons. The threads were started to try to get everything on the table so readers could see the pro's and con's as they considered DVC without needing to read through a bunch of arguements. We are DVC owners and it made sense for us, but it is a very personal and individual decision. Intercot help us identify things we needed to consider we had not thought about, both pro and con. Thanks for the valuable contribution to this discussion.
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

I am an analytical person by nature. I am a Financial Advisor, which actually has no bearing on this discussion, but I have worked in Industrial Engineering and Cost Accounting for well over ten years.

FINANCIALLY, the breakeven point for doing DVC IF YOU STAYED AT THE SAME (Deluxe) resort the same number of days, EVERY YEAR, is around year 10. I did not take into effect interest, compounding, or time value of money. This was a straight calculation of the total dollars spent on each one, in a cumulative manner.

If you stay in a Deluxe one year and a Moderate the next, but still take the same number of days in a resort EVERY YEAR, your breakeven point is somewhere in year 15.

Joining DVC is NOT an investment, as many of you have pointed out. It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.

You aren't locked in, and you can sell your membership if you want out.

If you can't do the total cost of it upfront, as many have said, I wouldn't think it would be wise to do it. Otherwise, more power to ya! I'm going to join in the next couple of years!
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I am just curious, are the increase in hotel costs in your calculations?

BTW, congratulations on Olivia, I hope everything goes well with the adoption. What a gift!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: