Quantcast Reasons to Join DVC - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

We just bought into DVC last night (SSR)!!! It made sense for me and my family since we plan on going back to Disney as my kids are now 6 & 9 and we want to start a tradition of awesome vacations 1-2 times a year from now on and be able to pass that tradition on to them and their kids. Economically it also made sense in the long run and the flexability with going elsewhere under the plan is simply amazing and maintenance fees were pretty low compared to others. For instance we live in Mass, so in Aug we will be going to spend a week on Martha's Vinyard at minimal cost, and then again next spring back to Disney in April to a now 1 or 2 bedroom again at low cost as we were able to get free plane tix for waiting for another plane for 2 hours on the same day we came back last week. We thought that was a sign lol for us to join. Plus we now have the ability to take others with us and put everyone up in the same accomodations. It depends on each persons situation in my case we paid cash and only have to worry about the yearly fee at this point. We will most likely buy more in a year or two once we get used to being members and want to do more as my kids get older. I have already been instructed by my 6 year old son that we WILL be going on real safari in africa and my 9 year old daughter has chimed in with going to the Grand Floridian lookalike in Hong Kong ahahahaha!!!
    DVC Member SSR
    SSR Apr 08
    AS Movies Apr 07

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree-

Its a good value, and its based on how you define value-
    Monitarily i had a bonus given to me during a company merger so we paid for it from "found money" - yes maybe we should have invested it in ETFs , BUT The value i get from my family being together, being able to bring relatives and feeling like we are "home" is well worth it.
    The accomodations are great, i love the kitchen, and all the discounts help out.

Its a good deal, people argue about it, but i can truthfully say i have NEVER ( ok one time when we took my inlaws, but that was a different thing...) had a bad time, and i always feel refreshed after going there. AND we all look forward to going again-
    I think that out weighs the negatives ( if there are any)
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Our reason to join really just applies to us, but I'll post it anyway

A month and a half after joining we discovered that we would be expecting a little stranger. Thank goodness we had joined DVC when we did! We wouldn't have been able to justify the money if we had known about the baby and now the little bundle is guaranteed many, many years of vacations!
    Niki aka Lucille

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted - Mae West

Post Thanks / Like

DVC is just awesome for us!!
    DVC Member SSR
    SSR Apr 08
    AS Movies Apr 07

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to admit, I was a skeptic. In fact, I'm pretty sure if you look early on in the "Reasons Not to Buy" thread, you'll see some input from me there.

But we went back and really looked at it again ... ran the numbers, went through the emotional side of the arguments, etc. ... and we decided this time around that we had made a mistake not buying in before.

Luckily, because of the current incentives going on, we ended up doing not all that much worse than we would have had we bought in three or four years ago.

There were two big factors in us taking the plunge ...

#1, I think this is a terrific inflation hedge. It's true that, if you aren't committed to or capable of taking vacations every year, there's probably better ways to hedge your money. But we are, so for us this just works.

#2, the investment we're making in our family and 50 years of family vacations is worth it alone.

Also, in the grand scheme of things, it's hard to figure how paying 15 grand today for 50 years worth of vacations (that normally cost $1,500 - $2,000 each anyway) isn't a good deal.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It works for US !

We joined because this way of vacationing works great for us! We come home to Disney in the "off seasons for 4-6 nights 2-3 times a year, utilize ME so don't worry about a car or transportation.

It was never really a long number crunch thing...(btw I am a CPA so maybe the number crunching was just part of the decision process without really thinking of it). For us, it makes great sense to own DVC and be able to use it for all the years. Sure we could probaly do a disney vaction for less money, but the way we do it I don't hink so. We see a cheap flight and then quickly decide if we want to go for a few days.If it works out, off we go. We have not had any bad experience getting accomodations so far.

We figure we will use DVC until we physically can't get there any longer and with 2 children grown, eventually hope to be able to vacation with grandchildren! (and then send them back to their mommies and daddies!!)

Plus, owning DVC makes us take trips and invite family and friends, which we might not do if we were not owners. All in all, DVC was the best vacation plan we have made! Enjoy!

mprewitt Guest

DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:
    • The cost of membership and dues does not appear to present a financial hardship.
    • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years.
    • You plan to continue vacationing at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
    • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year). If you always stay at a Value resort, or always stay off-site, or you really are at the parks every single day for every day you're there, and you don't spend time at the resort itself (other than crashing at the end of the day), then DVC may not be for you.
    • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out. If you aren't a planner, don't even look at becoming a DVC member. If you can't plan and book your vacations 11 months in advance, and staying at a particular DVC resort is important, then don't join DVC. If you really don't care which DVC resort you end up with, then it might not be an issue.
    • You can do without daily mousekeeping and room service (of course, you can pay extra and get mousekeeping as a DVC member).
    • You desire more space than a typical resort room (such as a 2 bedroom villa, with full kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms and jacuzzi suite, and a washer/dryer).
    • You’re not looking at DVC as an investment or a way to make money (it’s not). It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.
    If the only consideration is whether it makes financial sense, then maybe you should be staying offsite and only eating offsite as well, since that beats staying onsite. Beyond just the financial considerations, DVC membership is emotionally satisfying (you “own a piece of the magic”), and it gives you a reason to take a vacation at WDW.

Buying a DVC membership is a rational, financially viable option for some people: namely people who plan to stay in the higher-end accommodations at Walt Disney World on a regular basis.

Buying into DVC is almost a lifestyle choice. A DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation with family and friends. For some people, that may outweigh any financial considerations. DVC will pay dividends beyond mere dollars and cents – your return on investment will be the joyous times, the family gatherings, and the experiences of a lifetime.

Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation, based upon your lifestyle and financial capabilities.

pogo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mprewitt View Post
    DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:
    • The cost of membership and dues does not appear to present a financial hardship.
    • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years.
    • You plan to continue vacationing at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
    • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year). If you always stay at a Value resort, or always stay off-site, or you really are at the parks every single day for every day you're there, and you don't spend time at the resort itself (other than crashing at the end of the day), then DVC may not be for you.
    • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out. If you aren't a planner, don't even look at becoming a DVC member. If you can't plan and book your vacations 11 months in advance, and staying at a particular DVC resort is important, then don't join DVC. If you really don't care which DVC resort you end up with, then it might not be an issue.
    • You can do without daily mousekeeping and room service (of course, you can pay extra and get mousekeeping as a DVC member).
    • You desire more space than a typical resort room (such as a 2 bedroom villa, with full kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms and jacuzzi suite, and a washer/dryer).
    • You’re not looking at DVC as an investment or a way to make money (it’s not). It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.
    If the only consideration is whether it makes financial sense, then maybe you should be staying offsite and only eating offsite as well, since that beats staying onsite. Beyond just the financial considerations, DVC membership is emotionally satisfying (you “own a piece of the magic”), and it gives you a reason to take a vacation at WDW.

Buying a DVC membership is a rational, financially viable option for some people: namely people who plan to stay in the higher-end accommodations at Walt Disney World on a regular basis.

Buying into DVC is almost a lifestyle choice. A DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation with family and friends. For some people, that may outweigh any financial considerations. DVC will pay dividends beyond mere dollars and cents – your return on investment will be the joyous times, the family gatherings, and the experiences of a lifetime.

Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation, based upon your lifestyle and financial capabilities.
    As a person that is currently looking at his options and deciding if DVC is for my DW and I, I think this is an excellent post. Thank you for writing this. If you and I are ever at WDW at the same time, I'd like to buy you a

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a financial advisor and a lover over Disney. We looked at becoming a member a couple years ago. I ran the numbers and considered the sentimental value. It is definitely not a good investment. It is a way of prepaying your vacations, assuming you go to Disney every year. Financing the purchase is not a good idea. The worse thing you can do is take the money out of an earning investment and purchase a membership. You may be able to break even if the funds used to purchase the membership are sitting in a checking account earning nothing. However, if you have the money, your better off putting it into investments such as mutual funds. If you really like staying at deluxe resorts, the optimal thing to do is rent the points from DVC members rather than becoming a member. I have spoke to a couple DVC members and they say the same thing. Fortunately for them, they purchased their memberships years ago when the cost was much lower. Over the next 30 years, renting the points each year and investing the money that you would have used to purchase the memberships will leave much more money in your pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

TGK4LSU-- There are so many ways to look at it. When I looked at it the first time I said the same thing but when we stayed @ BWV last year and spent over 7K on a five day stay I started to look at it differently and those prices will continue to increase. I compared it to what I spent on vacation w/ just the 4 of us and it didn't compare as to when you have more than 5 and need two rooms(deluxe). Pts vary too on wknds and room rates don't. We found it cheaper to get the room from WDW than renting pts b/c we wanted the meal plan and as mentioned you need more than double the points over a weekend.
    I think there is more to life than dollars and cents - life is a balance and there is a certain value in knowing the family can get together once a year for a Disney break. My pts were a gift so it's win win for me simply b/c my dad who gave them too us enjoys hearing the kids stories about WDW and seeing them smile. He wouldn't have given me the cash to invest but wanted the family to have the points to enjoy a vacation there. You know the saying that somethings are priceless-- I'm sure the joy of calling Disney Home is worth more than the difference in savings after all the only thing you truly possess are your memories and you can't take it with you.
    While I don't believe in reckless spending, I do think that you have to enjoy a little.... DVC brings us a lot of joy....
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

MsMin, I am not sure what getting the meal plan has to do with buying or renting vacation club points. But I will agree with you that its not all about dollors and cents. As I stated, there is a sentimental value that must be taken into consideration. I was moslty viewing this from a financial point of view. If your looking to save money, your going to be disapointed if you know what your doing. Otherwise, if saving money is not that big a deal, there are other reasons someone may feel compelled to by a DVC membership.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....If the price of renting a room at Disney in say 10 years has gone up from the rates today which is pretty likely, but you purchased a DVC interest at today's rates for the rooms, then how is that not saving money?? Your basically pre-paying accomodations at today's prices your future vacations at Disney over the next 50 years. Last time I checked that was saving money! It is definately not a financial investment along the lines of stocks, bonds, etc. but I believe you will still save some money. If you love Disney, want to share that experience with your kids, extended family, friends, and go on vacations with them to Disney and be able to get the accomodations to make it happen and lock in the prices at todays rates, then go for it!!! Forget the financial naysayers that are only concerned with how much you will save to the exact penny and look at your own situation and what type of family vacation tradition you want and can afford and let that guide you is the best bet IMHO.
    DVC Member SSR
    SSR Apr 08
    AS Movies Apr 07

Post Thanks / Like

The rent may go up,but the DVC fees the owners has to pay every year go up also. Your also forgeting about the time value of money. The money you used to purchase the DVC membership could be earning you money rather than earning nothing. That must be factured into the cost of a DVC membership. But once again, if the financial aspect of a DVC purchase is not a concern, go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGK4LSU View Post
    I am a financial advisor and a lover over Disney. We looked at becoming a member a couple years ago. I ran the numbers and considered the sentimental value. It is definitely not a good investment. It is a way of prepaying your vacations, assuming you go to Disney every year. Financing the purchase is not a good idea. The worse thing you can do is take the money out of an earning investment and purchase a membership. You may be able to break even if the funds used to purchase the membership are sitting in a checking account earning nothing. However, if you have the money, your better off putting it into investments such as mutual funds. If you really like staying at deluxe resorts, the optimal thing to do is rent the points from DVC members rather than becoming a member. I have spoke to a couple DVC members and they say the same thing. Fortunately for them, they purchased their memberships years ago when the cost was much lower. Over the next 30 years, renting the points each year and investing the money that you would have used to purchase the memberships will leave much more money in your pocket.

I realise there is a bit of a disussion going on from your original post but I should point out this topic is about reasons to JOIN DVC. There is a seperate topic about reasons NOT TO JOIN DVC where your post would be more appropriate. Please take any further discussion along these lines to that topic.

Thank you
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

We just joined earlier this month and are happy DVC owners at AKV.

We had looked at DVC for many years. WE have now been to WDW 14 times since 1993. In accomodations alone, we have pretty much spent the cost of membership once already!

We typically go to WDW twice each year. One DD has graduated from college and the other is in college. They also love WDW. Looking down the road and being able to bring family and someday, grandchildren, on a magical WDW trio in great accomodations will mbe further validation of our decision.

We are so happy that we joined and can't wait for our first trip home!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Just Joined

We just joined DVC and we are so excited!

We have been to Disney every year for many years now...and finally took the plunge and joined DVC with 160 annual points (with some bonus points for joining). I just wish it didn't take so many points to go on DCL. We have a family of 5 and need the space given in the Deluxe family stateroom with Varanda. Are the DVC member cruises any less expensive? Anyone have any tips?
    "Been there, done that, going back!"

Post Thanks / Like

Going by the rack rates for AKV, our 11 night stay next summer would cost us over $5000! A dew more trips like that, and my membership will be paid for. For those of us who go at least once a year, or even once every two, I think DVC is a no brainer. And it is fun as well.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon93 View Post
    Going by the rack rates for AKV, our 11 night stay next summer would cost us over $5000! A dew more trips like that, and my membership will be paid for. For those of us who go at least once a year, or even once every two, I think DVC is a no brainer. And it is fun as well.
    That was a kicker for me too. We just did 7 nights at AKL in a savannah view regular hotel room on a AAA discount rate and it still cost $2374.33. That's $339.19 a night including tax. Sadly no AP rates ever came available for our dates, a trend that seems more and more common.

That same trip had we been members would cost us 108 points in a studio.. and that is a larger room and more perks. Only difference is mousekeeping and heck, you can buy a lot of mousekeeping for the difference, should you choose.
    My 3 favorite parts of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.. the food, the wine, and the festival!!

Jambo!! AKV Owners as of Oct '07

Most Recent Visits:
    CR/OKW/POR Nov 2006
    AKL Dec 2006 and Jan 2007
    AKL/CR Oct 2007
    Future visits:
    AKV/OKW Dec 2007
    AKV May and Sept/Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I am now going to close this thread. We are opening up a new thread where the pros and cons of DVC can be discussed.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: