Quantcast Reasons to Join DVC - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To us the most important reason to join...

Was to have fun, memorable vacations with our girls and then their kids. To be together as a family. We can stay in very nice hotels and the price will not change. (Dues may go up.) I joined in 2002 and it's more than half paid for itself. We skipped a year because I had a baby, but banked the pts. for a 2 bdrm. We don't have that many pts, but we just added 50 more and are pretty much done adding on. We've stayed at The Plaza and are doing the DCL this summer (4 day land/3 day sea) and plan to go to some other areas as well. For now though WDW is fine..my DD's (9 and 2) are still young.

ANOTHER important reason was..there is so much to do there. I like to do a lot on vacation. I can relax for one day and then I am bored. We traveled a lot when I was little. And there's other places to go around there area as well.
    DVC Members since 2002 (BCV/VWL)<br />-1976 Off Site<br />-1981 Off Site<br />-1987 Disneyland<br />-1990 Off Site<br />-2/2001 Grosvenor Resort<br />-1/2003 BCV<br />-7/2004 BWV<br />-7/2005 4 days SSR/3 Days DCL<br />-9/2006 7 Day Western DCL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bumping this back up to the thread. The REASONS to NOT JOIN is still active, thought it would be appropraite for both threads to close to each other.
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I joined is I love going to WDW. I also like the 1 bedroom and I absolutely love staying on site.

Lets face it everyone has a vice. For some it is smoking...for others it is drinking...shopping....eating...camping...whatever you see the picture

My vice is going to WDW ...leaving my troubles at the main gate and watching my girls faces light up with awe every time we go. If the truth is to be told my wife feels the same way or else we would of never bought it.

We have not been members long but we still wish we did it 3 yrs ago when we 1st looked.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why we just purchased

My roommate and I purchased 250 points at SSR last night. I've been reading everything I could find about DVC on the Internet, and don't know how I missed these threads on INTERCOT.

Even though we had a million questions for our "guide," we were pretty much sold on the concept from the start. We weren't looking for a real estate investment. We were looking for a way to enjoy Disney on a regular basis, yet still have some flexibility on where and when we spend our vacations. I think we found just that.

I made the mistake of reading the "why NOT" thread before reading this one, and I must admit I went through a few fingernails worrying that we'd made a bad decision. I'm feeling much better now, having gone through these posts.

My parents have owned timeshares with Marriott for quite a number of years. With the exception of my first two trips to WDW when I was very young, most of my stays in Florida have been in one of the Orlando area Marriott timeshares. When my parents would invite us to join them, we always enjoyed the differences of a timeshare over a standard hotel room: the kitchen, the laundry, the large family room, the separate bedrooms, and the whirlpool tubs. I was never a big fan of having to get in the car for everything, though. With a large gathering, it was also a pain in the neck to make sure there was always at least one annual pass in every vehicle.

Last year for my fortieth birthday, my roommate and I decided to spend a week in WDW. We booked into the Wilderness Lodge, signed up for the Magical Express, premium park hopper tickets, and the meal plan. I couldn't believe the difference I felt in staying on property versus all the years we'd enjoyed the offsite timeshares. The extra magic hours were a big perk, I enjoyed not having to have anything in my pocket except a room key, and everywhere we needed to go was just a short ride away on Disney transportation.

I've always ignored the DVC kiosks when I've seen them because of a comment my dad made years ago about the down side of an end date. I was certain that when I could finally afford to buy a timeshare, it would be with Marriott.

As I began to plan our trip for next summer -- expecting to stay at the Wilderness Lodge again -- I started thinking more and more of the timeshare option. The on-site perks were fresh in my mind, so I thought of DVC. The more I read about the program and the more we discussed it and thought it over, the less important the 2054 end date seemed. Forty-nine years is a long way off! If I'm still getting around the Magic Kingdom at 90 years old (103 for my roommate), a younger family member can put me up in their room! lol

We plan to use our points mainly at DVC resorts. On occasion, though, we will try something different. Yes, I know it's not quite advantageous to use them for Interval or another location, but it's nice to have the option. I might be able to find a better cash deal at the time, but there's something to be said for having it pre-paid. I know we’ll be more apt to spend points than we will cash, meaning we’ll get away more.

I'm reminded of something that happened to me on my last visit. We were on the meal plan, and for the first day or so, I was so intent on getting my money's worth out of those meals that I was ordering things off the menu based on their high costs rather than because it was what I wanted to eat. When I realized how silly that was and that the spirit of the meal plan was to dine with flexibility and know the cost up front, rather than trying to stick it to Disney for every penny possible, I enjoyed it much more. I'm going to treat the DVC membership the same way.

I'm happy with the price we paid. I think it is a good deal -- even if a CPA or stockbroker can make an argument that the money would have yielded more elsewhere. I'm thrilled at having the perks of a timeshare room (kitchen, laundry, living space, separate bedrooms) combined with the perks of staying on-property. I'm glad the dining plan is now open to DVC members. (We'll use that when we're in a studio, and the kitchen when we're in a larger room.) I'm glad there's a big discount on PAPs. I'm glad there are discounts at some restaurants and stores (although I frankly was expecting a little more in this regard -- I was also expecting there to be some in-park perks as well, like using a DVC room key to enter any FastPass line without needing an actual FastPass, or at least allowing several overlapping FastPasses when the DVC room key is used in the FastPass machine. What about extra-extra magic hours or free (instead of discounted) backstage tours? Oops, I digress...).

Bottom line: I bought a piece of the magic. If I were looking for something to add to a financial portfolio, I'd have been looking somewhere else.
    Dave
    Portsmouth, Virginia

DVC Member / PAP Holder

'80 Contemporary / '83 Polynesian / '83 (Senior Class Trip) Offsite / '93 Offsite / '95 Offsite / '96 Offsite / '98 Offsite / '00 Offsite / '03 Offsite / '05 Wilderness Lodge
    Counting the days: Saratoga Springs '06

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCass
    Bottom line: I bought a piece of the magic. If I were looking for something to add to a financial portfolio, I'd have been looking somewhere else.
    This is why we will be buying into DVC within the next few years. The other thread on this board focuses too much on the financial investment aspect of it. To me, if that's the main concern you find, then you probably can't afford the DVC in the long run and it wouldn't be a wise purchase. (I'm not trying to criticize those who can't afford it; I know DVC is expensive and a lot of people don't want to tie up a lot of money into it. That's not a bad thing). But for us, our financial investment is our 401k, IRA, Home, etc.. The DVC is like buying a fancy car, splurging on entertainment expenses, etc...but in our case, we are buying family time at our favorite vacation spot. Some things you don't expect a financial return on; it's just a lifestyle choice...we are looking for a return in happy memories, time with our kids, etc..
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

My reason is simple: In less than nine years, all 370 points that we own will be paid in full. Enough points for 3 trips per years, and the only outlay will be our dues. As far as 'smart' money is concerned, my qestion is 'who cares?' DVC is about quality of life, not about finance and asset management. We LOVE DVC- world class accomodations, a sense of family, a little piece of WDW. Our DVC will be there for our children and our grandchildren. Who can put a price tag on that?
    Welcome to our Highway In The Sky.....

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the last few posts. There is more to life than building wealth and to me it is teaching my kids about family and quality time together.

We have 200 points and 10 day Magic your way tickets that are paid for so our vacations over the next few years will be relatively stress free money wise.
    Steve
    Donna
    Kelsie (9)
    Katie (7)

Post Thanks / Like

My parents have owned timeshares with Marriott for quite a number of years. With the exception of my first two trips to WDW when I was very young, most of my stays in Florida have been in one of the Orlando area Marriott timeshares. When my parents would invite us to join them, we always enjoyed the differences of a timeshare over a standard hotel room: the kitchen, the laundry, the large family room, the separate bedrooms, and the whirlpool tubs.
    My dad bought a timeshare with his wife in Kissimmee back in the late 1980s & they love it for the same reason. They bought into the Hilton one over by Sea World a few years ago also.

I've always ignored the DVC kiosks when I've seen them because of a comment my dad made years ago about the down side of an end date.
    This is the reason why my dad was not interested in DVC. I have wanted to buy DVC for quite some time, and now since I won't be buying a home anytime soon, I have the money to do so. Well, they were down visiting me over Presidents Day (they stayed at their Kissimmee timeshare) and they toured the sample at the Boardwalk & are now looking to buy DVC.
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this back in 2004 in another thread,

"Do your own analysis (quantitative) and think what you want to get out of the membership (qualitative). I'm a member, but as I've said (in essence) before, asking people on this site if you should join is like going to a new church and asking its members if you should join. i.e. We're not exactly impartial.

I'm a CPA and did an extensive analysis of whether the membership was "worth it." I never could convince myself one way or the other (too many variables to control), but once my wife (also a CPA) saw the numbers did not equate to a horrible financial decision, we bought at her insistence. I'm glad we did, based on other factors (being able to take the grandparents, having better than deluxe accomodations,...). So, I guess I'm saying your decision after financial (is it worth it?), is a qualitative decision."

Since that time, we took my in-laws down here for a "free" vacation. And my father-in-law passed away unexpectedly 6 months later. I am so glad my wife insisted we buy. My kids still remember getting grandpa to go on the "big" rides.

Feel free to email me if you want my analysis. I haven't updated it since buying in 2003, but it's an excel spreadsheet and easy to adjust.
    TTFN!

06/97 offsite, 09/00 BW, 01/01 BC, 12/01 Poly, 05/02 YC, 12/02 BC, 06/03 WLV, 10/03 BCV, 05/04 BWV, 10/04 BCV, 04/05 BCV, 12/05 BWV, 05/06 WLV, 12/06 BCV, 11/07 BWV, 08/08 SS, 08/09 BCV, 09/10 BCV, 08/11 BCV, 08/12 BLT, 01/13 SS, 08/13 BLT, 07/14 BCV, 07/16 SS, 06/19 BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2007 Rack Rates

2BR rack rates are in the $750 + per night range.(Mid-Season). High Season is significantly more.
    Just wanted your thoughts as it relates to your DVC investment.
    Welcome to our Highway In The Sky.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Own A Piece of The Magic

Magic! Isn't that what Disney is all about. I can't imagine this world without Disney. God gave us a little piece of heaven while we are enjoying our time on this earth. I believe you either ARE and Disney fan, or you ARE NOT a Disney fan. For my family, we absolutely LOVE the creations of Walt Disney, and when we were introduced to the option of purchasing a piece of the magic, it was a "no-brainer" for us. The magical part of being a DVC member is just that...we are a part of the Disney family, and believe me, Disney cast members make us feel like part of the family. The ability to stay in a 2 bedroom villa, with kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms and jacuzzi suite for our long stay at Disney, allows our family to share relaxing and happy memories that are priceless and are worth more than the price we paid for the membership. Somethings you just can't put a price tag on.
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Joining DVC is a very personal thing. I have appreciated reading all the posts as to why joining DVC can be right for you and I also thought the thread on why not to join has its merits as well.

We love our DVC but did have it on the resell market recently. We pulled it off the market after a wonderful trip to SSR last week. Why? I absolutely love all things Disney and owning (even for 36 years) a piece of Disney makes me indescribably happy. DH is not so enthused with Disney but he loves me and loved our relaxing trip to SSR so we decided to make some sacrafices in other areas and hang on to our interest and do not have any regrets.

DVC is right for us but it might not be right for everyone and that's okay too. As other posters have mentioned, we love the one and two bedroom accommodations but even the studios are nicer than the average Disney regular hotel room with microwave and fridge and the sleeping sofa. We have absolutely fallen in love with SSR and are already planning next year's trip to this beautiful and relaxing resort. We love our home resort (Hilton Head) too and look forward to many many more future vacations. We consider ourselves quite fortunate to own our Disney timeshare!
    DVC Member 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to point out a temporary financial plus for me ........

- The mortgage is tax deductible on my annual income tax
    - I don't pay for the vacation any more out of pocket - it comes from a monthly payment of the mortgage (which includes the dues) - gives me the illusion that I am going for "free." My only outlay is the airfare and food. And there we have the Disney Dining Experience - so we receive 20% off on practically everything we eat and drink.

My major complaint of our DVC stay is the towels - and we do opt to pay for the extra towels - especially when 8 people are present - who wants to do all that towel wash on vacation????

And if you stay at a DVC that has a resort along with it (Beach Club, Boardwalk, Wildnerness Lodge) you can still order room service if you feel like it .....

We figured - if we were going to go to WDW every year - it made sense to join DVC and lock in at a lower rate.

We haven't regretted the decision to do so.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to be able to read the opinions on reasons to join DVC. Very informative since that is what is needed for what I consider to be an important decision. Maybe, I will have a decision in a year or so....
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

We have been DVC members for approximately 5 years. We own at VERO BEACH, WILDERNESS LODGE AND SARATOGA SPRINGS.
    Both my husband and I are Disney fanatics, so we love our DVC.
    I did exactly as some of you had suggested when we first bought. I figured out how much a two week vacation at a deluxe resort would cost then figured out the inflation rate at 2% per year. I figured the cost over 30 years and added it up! That was pretty scary!
    I then figured out how much DVC would cost for a 30 year "term" with dues, that also go up. It really seemed like a cost effective way to vacation.
    I am sure the number crunching thing may not do the trick for some of you wanting to justify a membership. What did it for us was the prospect of having something to look forward to. We both work extremely stressful jobs and need our down time. For us that usually means a trip to the Happiest place on Earth.
    Not having to worry about choosing and then paying for really nice accomodations has really made our vacation experiences that much better.
    We are also using our points to go on a 7 day cruise this October (2006) and if we had to pay cash at approximately $2700 per person, we probably wouldn't have had the immediate cash flow to go. This way, its all taken care of.
    We have used our points to travel with our family and have made priceless memories that we will cherish forever.
    If I had the chance to do it all again, I would in a heartbeat! Buying into DVC has allowed us to feel like we are truly part of the Disney family and that is the true magic of ownership.
    GO DVC!
    Amy :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default dvc ownership

My husband and I purchased the dvc membership last year in March when we were on vacation with our 2 kids. At the time we were staying off property. The investment for us was well worth it because we now don't have to search for a moderate resort on property that will have enough space for us to stay. I know that for my husband and I to have to share a double bed is next to impossible (he is a bed hog ), and most of the moderate to deluxe resorts have 2 double beds, and the king size with bunk beds book too fast.

Comfort was the key for us, and since we come "home" at least 2 times a year it was well worth the cost.

Let me tell you this....I am not ususally an emotional person, but seeing the joy and excitement on my children's faces when they get to Disney brings tears to my eyes....priceless.

I am excited, we will be coming "home" for Halloween, and celebrating my son's birthday. Shhhh it's a surprise

KS

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]_______________________________________________/COLOR]

Hilton--2000
    Grovener--2002
    Hilton--2004
    Gaylord Palms 2005
    SSR-2005
    SSR-2006
    OKW-2006

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by G8RFAN
    Washer/Dryer - While there is a really good argument for not doing laundry while on vacation, it really helps to keep the luggage on the light side when you know you can do a load midway.
    Although it pains me to agree with a Gator Fan this close to 9/23 , boy I'll second this one. We're planning a 17-day trip in Sept/Oct and just started on our packing list. (we're planners). Being the typical guy, I don't have enough underwear and socks for 17 days. And being the typical middle-aged bald guy, I have a little convertible barely big enough for 1/2 the luggage. Now it just needs to be big enough for a week's worth of stuff and Cheer with Color Guard.

Also as a reason to join DVC, I guess I should also add the fact that we're able to take a 17-day trip to begin with.

Go Vols!

Post Thanks / Like

[Also as a reason to join DVC, I guess I should also add the fact that we're able to take a 17-day trip to begin with.
    You are sooooo lucky! Enjoy!
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

DVC is quite simply the best thing we've done as a family. We bought in when our kids were at the right ages to appreciate multiple days at the parks (9 and 13). Today they're 19 and 23 and we still go as a family every year ( I suppose we'll have to take spouses too when that becomes an issue!) We've taken all the trips listed below on our points (except the cruise) plus have also stayed at the Plaza in NYC (twice). the Whitehall in Chicago, the Jefferson in Wash DC. and gave my sister a honeymoon weekend to the Biltmore in Arizona. I took my staff on a three day retreat to the Wilderness Lodge and gave my daughter and her friend spring break at Old Key West. We make the most of our 250 points through borrowing and banking at the right times. We've never been shut out of a trip even when booking a month in advance. There are always great options. It's flexible, "forces" you to go on vacation and is priceless in creating magical memories. We have not had one minute of regret!
    '93 Grand Floridian
    94 All Star Sports
    95 Wildnerness Lodge
    96 DL Hotel
    97 Boardwalk
    98 BW
    '99 BW
    '00 BW
    '01 Yacht Cl. & Animal Kingdom Ldg
    02 Boardwalk
    03 DL Gr. Californian
    '04 BW & OKW
    '05 BW & Cruise
    '06 Saratoga Springs
    '07 Old Key West
    '08 Saratoga Springs
    '09 Hilton Head

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I just joined the DVC on our last trip, and i have to say, while it is kind of expensive, and NOT really an investment, it has never been about the money to us. Not that we are so rich it doesn't matter, but what it comes down to for us, is the emotional investment - the experiences of a lifetime that happen for us every time we visit Disney. We have two little children and the look on their faces when we arrive is worth every penny we spend. But why spend more every time we go (and we will go at LEAST once a year, every year) on a moderate to deluxe resort which will probably go up every year (and as we found out this last trip, doesn't always meet or exceed our expectations of Disney) when we can pay the same amount for our accomodations every time for the next 50 years. And, the accomodations with DVC are even much more comfortable than regular deluxe rooms. While i am not crazy about cooking or doing laundry on vacation, at least we have the option of cooking in our room if we want to, and not have the added stress of getting to a dining reservation on time. And since i always end up doing laundry mid-vacation anyway, having the laundry facilities in the room and not having to spend 20+ just to do a few loads really is an added plus for me.We also like to take our time and relax at the resort for at least part of the day everyday, and at SSR (our home base) they have lots of fun activites for the children to do every day during downtime as well as a great pool and spa.

Another note - for our family anyway, as i said we have small children and while they love to travel and stay in hotel rooms, the comfort of having a "home" like setting to stay in will make it easier for them to wind down at the end of the day.

Also, we have a huge extended family and we felt that it would be nice to take them for a great vacation once in a while that they normally would never spend the money on.

So to sum it up, as everyone has said on this thread, it really isn't about the money, it is about owning a piece of the magic. If you want a financial investment, DVC may not be what you are looking for. While it is not exactly a bad financial investment, i doubt much money could be made on it in the long term. It is, however, an investment in your family, and all the priceless memories and joyful times you can have with them are just as important as any monetary investment you can make. And for us, knowing what to expect (we are planners) and having options for other vacations if we want them without spending the extra cash (taking extra family, romantic weekends,etc) is worth it.
    1971-2003 honorary disneyland resident :)
    9/05 POR
    9/06 POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: