Quantcast After a long hiatus, I went back, Solo! - Trip - Day 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Cool After a long hiatus, I went back, Solo! - Trip - Day 2

(Me) - Former quasi-Disney expert, just past 50 years old.

Resort:
    Disney's Yacht Club

Dates:
    January 7-11th

Day 2 – Epcot

I got up early, reserved Frozen Ever After for my Lightning Lane and went to breakfast at Ale & Compass. I got the Chocolate Waffles which were about the last thing left to order on the menu since I had everything else (non-seafood) on the trip with Dad or he had it. The waffles were decadent and yet not too sweet. I loved them and the small size of the waffles was perfect for me. It would have paired well with milk, but I was trying to elevate my experience, so I got Earl Grey Tea! 😊

My Frozen Lightening Lane was quite a bit later, which meant that I needed to start in “Future Land” (now that I think of it, didn’t the front of Epcot have a different name in the 90’s?) Well anyway, I was delighted to go because most of the walls were down. I walked around most of the morning taking pictures and having pictures taken of me in that beautiful. I got in line to take a picture with Walt Disney’s Statue. There were two groups in front of me and no one behind me. I felt kind of special visiting the Statue peacefully like that. I felt kind of like Mr. Disney & I were admiring how beautiful the park had become … together. Those pictures turned out to be very nice. I thanked the cast member for capturing the special moment for me.

I enjoyed the new areas, and I highly approve of them! I got a little bit wet (more like sprinkled) in Moana’s Journey of Water. It was a tad bit chilly – I wore a wind breaker comfortably all day, but not zipped up until the night. Moana’s place was lovely. She was even signing autographs outside of her “land”. I liked swooshing my arms in sync with everyone else to make big waves. We all had huge grins on our faces! I also approve of the way that you can choose how wet you get by picking the correct path for you. I easily kept my sneakers dry, thankfully.
    Next, I went under the Seas to visit Nemo & friends and I looked in every tank and tried to see every creature. Usually when taking my family here I’d zip through since they mainly were not “aquarium people”. I love aquariums! I even got to see the sea urchins and the manatees. I used the stairs and not the escalator to just slow down and soak in the atmosphere. I was truly enjoying myself and I even waved to the scuba diver. Doing what you want to do when you want to do it is very neato!

Well, by early afternoon it was time for me to experience the Frozen, ride for the first time in Forever! Literally, dad and I chose Ratatouille over Frozen and refused to stand in line a long time for Frozen since all of the “Fastpasses” were gone by the time we were eligible for another one back in September. Besides, we were planning to see this on our last day, but he got sick.

Frozen was surprisingly good! I was sad when I heard it was replacing Maelstrom. I was one of those people who actually sat and watched the movie at the end of the ride, and I liked the polar bear, although his dimensions seemed a little off as we flew back, back, over the falls! I liked the Viking scenes and the skier swooshing down the long jump. Well, the Frozen ride fit the space perfectly and I liked the line queue so much better now too! Relutantly, I admit it was an improvement. Besides I can watch the ride POV & ending movie anytime on YouTube, hee-hee. Well afterwards, I was rumbly in my tummy – so I got School Bread from Kringla Bakery Og Kafe. It is my most favorite treat in Walt Disney World! Then I kept exploring the World Showcase. It was much less crowded compared to September, since there was no festival going on.

In time, I had the last lunch seating for La San Angel Inn (there were zero dinner time slots). I had only eaten here once in the 90’s and the reviews since then had not been great. I liked it before – it was not the most authentic Mexican food like I had eaten in Oaxaca, the Yucatan, or Houston, TX – but it also didn’t hurt my belly like some of those meals did within hours afterward. I was eager to try it again. However, the School bread filled me up too much earlier; I only had the Tostadas and a Mocktail Mango Margarita (I did not drink half of it). Everything was delicious and I was pleased with the freshness of my meal. Again, my tummy was very happy. So, I started walking and visiting other countries feeling happy until I got to Japan. I sat at a table along the water front and felt really weak & weird. I wasn’t thinking too straight, my hands were shaking, and that’s when it dawned on me that my hypoglycemia was kicking in bad. I had stuff in my backpack for it, but I did not have sense to consume it. The only thing I could think of was to get a Kaki-gori from Japan. However, I was afraid that the coldness would slow down my intake of sugar too much.

As I pondered what to do, I looked left and saw funnel cakes! I got in line. Thankfully it was short, and I used a gift card, because I would not have been able to count the change out of my wallet. I was starting to fade in ability fast. The transaction was quick, and I wobbled over to a picnic table and came back “alive” grateful for powdered sugar and that tasty crunchy cake-like snack. Usually, I do everything “right” for my condition, I eat properly for the most part, but walking a lot can misconstrue my carb intake needs and my usual calorie count. I thought I was okay, but I was not. I nearly lost consciousness and that scared me a great deal – especially since I was alone. ☹. My family members usually pick up on my difficulties before I do and act quickly – I knew that now I was going to have to be extra, extra, careful about the rest of my trip. After I “revived”, I noticed a little squirrel watching me, on the retaining wall by my shoulder – I bet if I had passed out, he would have snatched my funnel cake! Can’t blame him – it was so good.

I kept walking and visiting countries that afternoon into evening feeling fine again. I caught the last showing of Impressions of France. When the doors opened up, the new Epcot Fireworks show was starting. I walked forward and enjoyed the new show very much. It was even better than on my patio balcony! Epcot had Extended Evening hours that night. I returned to front of Epcot, rode some rides and then I got in line for Test Track. The line for Test Track was deceptively long. I should have taken the single rider line in retrospect. Riding Test Tract at night is awesome, so I could not complain. I also had a desire to ride Guardians again or to take a long, slow journey on Spaceship Earth. However, after my previous hypoglycemic episode, I decided that it was wise for me to call it a night without going into space. Instead of walking back to YC, I took the boat. I could have walked back 10 times faster, but I wanted to be safe and not sorry in case I started feeling weird again. I did not.

Once safely back in my room I checked my glycemic levels and I did the things I need to do to adjust them just right for sleep, and I added more supplies to my backpack for the next day. I took this episode very seriously and made the necessary corrections going forward each day after successfully. I bought the Genie+ and went to bed.

Next: Day 3 Hollywood Studios again
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

2. Likes PopPhan liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got your 'sugar' under control. Some things just jump up and bite you on the butt when you're enjoying yourself in the parks. Hopefully, this will (did) not hamper the rest of your trip.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

It's very pleasant to enjoy Epcot at a leisurely pace - you made sure to get the most out of your day!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

6. Likes PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: