Quantcast Space 220 - November 2023

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Space 220 - November 2023

I just plain love the concept of this restaurant, so when we got a reservation for this last visit I was really happy about it.

The setup is very well done, with the 220 mile trip on the beanstalk elevator going quickly. The waitress played along when she asked how was our trip up, and I joked it was so smooth it seemed like we didn't even leave Earth. We love it when the waitstaff will do things like that, and it creates a quick bond.

We ordered drinks and multiple appetizers, keeping a bit of a running tab in my mind bearing in mind at least a 20% tip. Since this was our 30th Anniversary trip, we went all out. Multiple appetizers, we ran through about half the drink menu and loved them all - then the entrees, and dessert. And, because it was our 30th anniversary there was a special dessert.

We were very impressed with our server - to the point where I had her get the manager so we could compliment her directly. The restaurant is NOT run by Disney - so if you go there and like anything the best thing to do is compliment the duty manager so the server will get the credit.

The only thing disappointing to me is the condition of the Mission: Space attraction at this point. The central Globe is out for refurbishment, and the rest of the attraction definitely is showing a lot of wear. Seeing this when it first opened and comparing it to now... well, it's not been taken care of properly, and that's sad.

In fact, we noticed in a lot of places it seemed like Disney was skimping on cleaning/maintenance. The new Tron Lightcycle Run is downright dirty around a lot of the canopy supports to the point where it seemed more like a Six Flags at the end of the season than a Disney attraction. But - that's a comment for another time. I'm hoping that will change, and in a couple of years things will be better.

Overall? I'd say 9.5 out of 10. The only thing I'd have liked better would have been to be closer to the windows - we were pretty far from them but we still got a great view. And, with a great meal with the love of my life - it was well worth the bill.
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

2. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

"The only thing disappointing to me is the condition of the Mission: Space attraction at this point. The central Globe is out for refurbishment, and the rest of the attraction definitely is showing a lot of wear. Seeing this when it first opened and comparing it to now... well, it's not been taken care of properly, and that's sad."

I was going to say this is surprising - but honestly - your next paragraph kind of says it all. Disney needs to focus more on maintenance. There are a lot of things that have been let go and need refurbishment. Given the age though, I wasn't expecting this.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

5. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mission: Space is about 20 years old now (dang, doesn't time fly?) and it's no longer one of the 'hot rides'. We went on it twice this year, and both times were walk-ons. So it may be due a refurb/revamp/refresh to get people interested in it again. (Maybe partner with SpaceX? Hmmm.)

As far as general cleanliness goes - the entrance is made with concrete, so after a few years exposed to the elements the coatings they've used are getting pretty shabby. So maybe a revamp with some of the latest industrial epoxy coatings would be appropriate going forward. The art elements (Earth's globe, the Moon and Mar's sphere) will require periodic redoing - so I guess we're seeing about the end of their 'visually useful life' and they're going to get everything good and shiny again.

But don't get me started on the maintenance for Cosmic Rewind or inside Tron - sheesh. Seemed like there were a LOT of lighting features in the queues of both were missing/malfunctioning, and the much vaunted 'digitizing walls' in Tron were covered by what looked like Masonite paneling. Maybe they weren't designed to a point where they could run 24/7/365, take casual abuse by folks just leaning against them, or they were using halogens where LEDs would have been better - but c'mon. This ain't a state fair where you show stuff for two weeks and that's it. This is DISNEY, where it'll be around for decades. You design for good looks, you design for tough as anything, and you design for maintenance.

And light bulbs everywhere seemed to be having problems from It's a Small World to the Progress City diorama on the Peoplemover having bulbs that were notably out. Maybe for a one-time visitor/rider it doesn't matter, but it's disappointing when you come back and notice things that aren't as they should be.

Walt would be incredibly impressed at what we have - and also disappointed at how it's not being kept up.
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

There certainly used to be a lot more attention to detail... generally I think it's that they have cut staff to levels where things don't get checked regularly or they get ignored until the problem becomes more apparent. I get that everything can't be perfect all the time with a place that big - but the point is valid that it seems more things are slipping through the cracks than then used to... For me the biggest thing I notice is the parks aren't as CLEAN as they once were. And that's a huge issue.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: