Quantcast Can I get something to eat?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I get something to eat?

Hoping someone can talk me through how to order at a Quick (Counter)Service dining establishment. I was told you couldn't order without a smart phone, so I purchased one. I am assuming the menus are available on the My Disney Experience (MDE) app, and that you can make your selections using this app. Here's where it gets a little fuzzy for this confused Senior. Supposedly you select a time for pickup and when your time arrives, you have to send them another message (text ?) somehow to let them know you're there.
    I have no idea how to send a text...never have done it. Also I read where they send you a PUSH notification when your order is ready. What is PUSH notification? Is it an email...a text...what. Everyone just assumes you know what they're talking about.

As I mentioned, I'm a Senior who is unfamiliar with the latest technology and I totally resent the way Disney had forced it on us. I guess you can't see Remy or Rise of the Resistance without a smart phone. Completely unacceptable. They don't seem to value us Seniors; and we are the ones who spent all our $ all these years so they were able to achieve the success and profits they enjoy today.

Bring back the simple days. We cancelled our reservations last Dec. because of the pandemic and we're leaning toward cancelling this year because we just feel lost with all the technology being forced upon us.
    Seniors need help and understanding.
    N

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know a younger person, a child or a grandchild, who can help you? I find the younger generations are much more tech savvy than us "seniors"! Enjoy your trip : )
    Dixie Landings 94,96,98
    POR 2006
    POFQ 2008,2009,2011
    Boardwalk 2013
    POFQ 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not great with technology either but I went into the section for mobile ordering and it pretty much walks you through the process. I'm headed down to WDW end of September and hopefully I won't have any issues. Friends of mine were down a month ago, they are seniors too and said they thought the it was pretty easy. Their only tip was to order early in the day because pick up times run out. Good luck.

5. Thanks nicholsbears thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm right there with you. While I've used the app quite a bit, I don't really want to spend my vacation with my face in my phone. Not to mention, what do you do when your phone battery runs out, because you have to use it so much throughout the day.?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

We were just there at the beginning of August and almost every counter service location had a walk up and order option. We did that a couple of times, but mostly used the mobile ordering. The app really does walk you through it. Every time we did mobile ordering it was shortly before we were ready to eat and there was always a pick up time slot available just 15-20 minutes out. And, as soon as we ordered, with that timeframe at least, there was an option to select "I'm here now!" A push notification is a message that comes through the app. It will make whatever noise your phone has set up for notifications. You should be able to go into the app and see the message. I know this probably isn't super helpful. It would be a lot easier if we were doing this in person. One thing I did before our trip was played around in the app a lot to get used to where things were. I even went through the process of ordering a meal, but stopped short of paying for it.
    Susanne

8. Thanks nicholsbears thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all the quick service restaurants use mobile ordering, so you may not be able to use it depending on the restaurant. If you do decide to eat at a restaurant with mobile ordering, I highly recommend using it.

Everything is done through the My Disney Experience app. You go into the app once you're at the restaurant and indicate you're there. If you were worried about missing the push notification, you can stay in the app to check on the status. It will let you know when you can pick up your food.

Here's a link to the overview on the Disney World site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...e-food-orders/.

This video from Disney Parks should be helpful too: https://youtu.be/guKp_bsm9gc. Selecting a return window has been added to the process so you won't see that in this video but it covers the essentials.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE it. I HATE the qr code for a menu. I HATE having to check in via the app. I HATE everything about it. Give me a paper menu. Let me tell the host/hostess I am present.

The last time I had a reservation for Kona Cafe for breakfast (a tradition on every trip), I was not allowed to check in unless I did it by phone. While the hostess was happy to check me in, the manager told her not to. "Just hand me your phone, I'll do it for you," with a fake smile. Instead, I used my phone to call guest services and told them not to charge me for a no show because the manager wouldn't let the hostess check me in.

11. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    I HATE it. I HATE the qr code for a menu. I HATE having to check in via the app. I HATE everything about it. Give me a paper menu. Let me tell the host/hostess I am present.

The last time I had a reservation for Kona Cafe for breakfast (a tradition on every trip), I was not allowed to check in unless I did it by phone. While the hostess was happy to check me in, the manager told her not to. "Just hand me your phone, I'll do it for you," with a fake smile. Instead, I used my phone to call guest services and told them not to charge me for a no show because the manager wouldn't let the hostess check me in.
    I agree.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

13. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: