Quantcast Lightning Pass?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lightning Pass?

File this one under rumor - Disney is thinking about instituting a new replacement or addition to fast pass called lighting pass.

Catch is you can buy lighting pass and it would cost $100-300.

Universal has allowed you to buy their express pass for a while. With the “reset” of the parks post COVID and fast pass currently not being offered, what are your thoughts?

Should this be offered? Should it be the only Fastpass system? Should it be offered in addition to the old system?

What say you?
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this rumor, too. My love affair with WDW has been on shaky ground for awhile, this will be the end.
    Did you also see the one about they are in no hurry to bring back the monorails and trams?

This place will be for high rollers only.

Did you see it on the MV site?
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

This gets tough. I can't say that I ever like waiting in lines, and with the overall cost of a Disney trip, being able to guarantee some times of no/few lines is very inviting.

But, it seems to be getting just too crazy. There is only so much "extra" you can take, I still haven't forgiven them for charging for parking at the resorts.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

$300 per day seems a little steep, you might as well do the VIP tour at that price. $100 is fair, but it should be discounted if you are staying on property. Just my two cents!
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I would take just about anything over FP+. I can't even begin to tell you how much I despised FP+. I would not doubt they are bouncing ideas around and of course any idea where they can charge us an extra charge is going to get serious consideration.

The FP+ system was or is just a feel good system. It gives users the opportunity to try to get into a couple of their favorite rides quicker. The trade off is you end up standing in the rest of the lines longer. You in no way actually save any time at all unless you only do the rides/attractions you have FP+ for and then you leave the park and go do something else without ever visiting the other attractions. It is simple math/science. An attraction has a maximum throughput (number of guests per hour). When the parks are busy, all the attractions are running at maximum throughput. If you let a limited amount of people enter a couple of attractions quicker it simply means they wait longer on the others while the people with FP+ to those attractions get to go in ahead of you quicker. I HATE IT!

Unfortunately, to make it more of an advantage and useful system to some, you have to limit who gets in quicker and to how many attractions. The simplest way to do this is to charge for that privilege and keep raising the price until you hit the threshold where the desired number of guests are partaking in the system and are happy with their ROI. If they switch to a pay for play type system, they can offer tiers where you get more FP's the more you pay. If you are willing to pay enough, you could possibly get one FP to every attraction in the park. They just price it accordingly to get the right number of guests they want in the system. Don't be surprised if this type of system replaces FP+

7. Likes baldburke, Jeff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that $100-$300 per day or for the whole stay?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not going to pay for something that was a "perk." Guess I'll just have to bide my time in the Stand-By queues. Ticket prices are high enough without adding 'pay fors' to the mix.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

So Mouse Views and Brayden posts a rumor and it takes off like wild fire... With that said, Brayden does tend to get some decent inside info... Kid has made a name for himself I will give him that... And he does have decent connections... Just wish he wasn't so annoying with his delivery... But give his channel a view... He puts out decent content...

With that said I wouldn't look for fastpass plus to return, and surely not as it once was...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

11. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    With that said I wouldn't look for fastpass plus to return, and surely not as it once was...
    I do not expect it to return either. They knew they had created a bit of a messy system but it would be difficult to roll out of it because there would have to be a date for a switch and they would without a doubt catch a lot of flack from guests who would be planning trips right after a switch. This is probably one of the few good things that came out of being shut down by Covid for Disney as well as us regular visitors that hated FP+. It gives them the perfect opportunity to make a change and introduce a new system.

I have been sort of expecting there to be some sort of pay to play system with tiers announced at some point. It will likely be something like for this price you get 3 FP's per day, for this you get 5 or 6 and for this you get one for each attraction in one park for the day or something to that effect. Another way of doing one with one for each attraction for the day would be to have one that is an upgrade along with Park Hopping where you get one per attraction across any of the parks so you could hop around and do favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I do not expect it to return either. They knew they had created a bit of a messy system but it would be difficult to roll out of it because there would have to be a date for a switch and they would without a doubt catch a lot of flack from guests who would be planning trips right after a switch. This is probably one of the few good things that came out of being shut down by Covid for Disney as well as us regular visitors that hated FP+. It gives them the perfect opportunity to make a change and introduce a new system.

I have been sort of expecting there to be some sort of pay to play system with tiers announced at some point. It will likely be something like for this price you get 3 FP's per day, for this you get 5 or 6 and for this you get one for each attraction in one park for the day or something to that effect. Another way of doing one with one for each attraction for the day would be to have one that is an upgrade along with Park Hopping where you get one per attraction across any of the parks so you could hop around and do favorites.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they run it kind of like the MaxPass system at Disneyland, which is a paid add-on. We actually really liked it, being able to snag fastpasses for rides from the app. It worked a lot like the old FastPass system (NOT FP+) except you could do it from your phone. You could only hold one at a time, you had to be in the park, etc. We thought it worked very well.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

14. Thanks John thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they run it kind of like the MaxPass system at Disneyland, which is a paid add-on. We actually really liked it, being able to snag fastpasses for rides from the app. It worked a lot like the old FastPass system (NOT FP+) except you could do it from your phone. You could only hold one at a time, you had to be in the park, etc. We thought it worked very well.
    That sounds good to me. I haven't used the Maxpass system so I was not familiar. I have said all along that FP+ should never have been something you scheduled a month in advance but rather you get them once you have entered a park. It sounds like that is what they have tried at Disneyland. I am actually going to Disneyland in the near future but not sure if they will have Maxpass back up and running yet or not. Everything is still up in limbo because who knows how long it will take them to roll back all the Covid restrictions in California. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Is that $100-$300 per day or for the whole stay?
    The rumor is that it was per person, per day.

Which is robbery, but people will pay it, just like they are paying too much for the Boo Bash.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Sorry, not going to pay for something that was a "perk." Guess I'll just have to bide my time in the Stand-By queues. Ticket prices are high enough without adding 'pay fors' to the mix.
    I totally agree, prices are high enough without adding an up charge for “lightning pass”.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

FP+ was stressful to book, but always worked out well for us. I'm not a fan of paying extra to be able to get them, but I do like the idea of just making them available through the app once you're in the park. I'm also still irritated that they charge for parking when we're paying to stay there. I don't care that it's become a "thing" at other resorts and hotels. If they do make it an add on with a fee, I could see $100 per person for the whole trip - NOT per day!
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    File this one under rumor - Disney is thinking about instituting a new replacement or addition to fast pass called lighting pass.

Catch is you can buy lighting pass and it would cost $100-300.

Universal has allowed you to buy their express pass for a while. With the “reset” of the parks post COVID and fast pass currently not being offered, what are your thoughts?

Should this be offered? Should it be the only Fastpass system? Should it be offered in addition to the old system?

What say you?
    It seems to me that this system needs to be thoroughly tested before drawing conclusions about its usefulness or inappropriateness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice Callan View Post
    It seems to me that this system needs to be thoroughly tested before drawing conclusions about its usefulness or inappropriateness.
    They are about to do just that.....they are going to test it at Disneyland Paris and see how it sells and works. However, you can bet that a similar system is going to be introduced at WDW very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

They are about to do just that.....they are going to test it at Disneyland Paris and see how it sells and works. However, you can bet that a similar system is going to be introduced at WDW very soon.
    The main thing is that it is convenient for visitors, takes into account the attendance of amusement parks and has a reasonable framework.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizHawk View Post
    The rumor is that it was per person, per day.

Which is robbery, but people will pay it, just like they are paying too much for the Boo Bash.
    That is the thing. Enough people will pay it to get the advantage. That puts everyone who chooses not to pay it at a severe disadvantage with long standby wait times. So you either pay whatever the price is or you spend all your time standing in extremely long standby wait lines while you watch those that paid for it blow by you.

My daughter and friends went to WDW a few weeks ago and we all just went to Disneyland California and they were both the best visits we have had in at least 15 years. It was so nice not having to do any advanced planning or dealing with running back and forth for fastpass times. We did have to make park reservations for specific days but other than that we just showed up and picked a direction and rolled with it. After those trips, we all agreed that we wish they would just never bring back any form of fastpasses at all.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and friends went to WDW a few weeks ago and we all just went to Disneyland California and they were both the best visits we have had in at least 15 years. It was so nice not having to do any advanced planning or dealing with running back and forth for fastpass times. We did have to make park reservations for specific days but other than that we just showed up and picked a direction and rolled with it. After those trips, we all agreed that we wish they would just never bring back any form of fastpasses at all.
    I'll second that statement! Despite the reservation system, somewhat shorter hours and not having fireworks, our recent June trip was probably our best ever. I think part of it was the kids bringing friends which made it a really great experience and lots of options for visiting and traveling the parks. However, I've got to say that not having FP+ was fantastic! Our longest wait was about 85 minuntes for AFOP. Most waits weren't mush more that 20 minutes and even attractions like 7DMT or Slink Dog were only about 60 to 70 minutes. I say death to FP+ and all equivalents! That is unless of course Disney did all virtual queues for it's E ticket attractions. Certainly the technology is there to do it.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    That is unless of course Disney did all virtual queues for it's E ticket attractions. Certainly the technology is there to do it.
    If all the queues become virtual, then all those who were in the queues are now milling around the park making it seem even more crowded.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: