Quantcast Glacier National Park

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glacier National Park

We're doing a big road trip this summer and one of our stops will be at Glacier! It will just be for one full day, staying the night before and after. We're only just now planning this part because we originally thought we wouldn't have time to squeeze it in. Any suggestions on which east entrance Red Bus tour to take? We will have my 85 year old mom with us, and I'm not sure she'd be up for the 8 hour one. Any suggestions on where to stay near the east entrance? Thanks!
    Susanne

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend one that includes the Two-Medicine Road area.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

4. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes TheVBs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I would recommend one that includes the Two-Medicine Road area.
    Definitely!
    Jeff

6. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes TheVBs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! We're finding out that a lot of the tours are already booked. But if we don't get one that includes this, we should have time to do some of our own touring too.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

We camped at the St. Mary's campground on the park's east side. I think that had some lodging as well. I know there was another lodge over on the West entrance at Apgar.

No Glacier visit is complete without driving the Into the Sun Road. There is a visitor center at the top of the pass, with a couple hikes you can easily do. A little north of St. Mary there is another rode that goes in a ways, towards Swiss Motor hotel(?) which has some great views and easy hikes as I recall.

Post Thanks / Like

I spend summers near Glacier and just a heads-up that parking in Glacier can be pretty insane until after Labor day. Going to the Sun road is the primary attraction for most visitors and the parking lot at Logan Pass (upper most point of the road where one of the visitor centers is) often fills up by 8:30 AM. When the lot is full the rangers will make vehicles keep going, you can't even pull into the lot and drive around waiting for someone to leave so it can be a downer for people who were expecting an easy park, get out and walk around experience (or those who really need to use the bathroom). People of course do leave the parking lot and then they'll let cars in but it's something to keep in mind if you drive your personal vehicle.

If you can get a Red Bus tour they of course are allowed to park so you won't have any issues there, and the park service has a free shuttle system that runs the length of Going to the Sun road that you can use as well.

Since you just have the one day and you're presumably not doing much hiking with your 85 year old mom I'd opt for their 'East Side Many Glacier Crown of the Continent' tour or the 'Eastern Alpine Tour'. The former covers the full length of the road and would be my choice for a one day visitor, especially if you can get one leaving out of St Mary Lodge or Rising Sun Motor Inn as those are about 6 hours. The latter tour only covers about half of the road and if you do that one you might also have time to drive your personal vehicle to the Two Medicine area and check out things there like Running Eagle Falls (very short, easy hike) or the boat tour in the Two Medicine area.

If you can't get a red bus tour I'd strongly suggest arriving early and taking the park bus to Logan Pass and then maybe over as far as Lake McDonald Lodge before working your way back. If you plan to drive your personal vehicle try to go as early as you can, and expect that you may be turned away from parking at Logan Pass. With a personal vehicle other options might be driving into the Two Medicine area and checking out the falls and boat tour as mentioned above, or driving to the Many Glacier area and taking the boat tour there. There's also a boat tour that leaves out of Rising Sun just a few miles into the park on the east side.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: