Quantcast Has anyone been to Denali?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone been to Denali?

Our 2020 family reunion trip will be an Alaskan cruise. I am contemplating staying in Denali for a few days afterwards. Has anyone every been? Any suggestions? must-do's? Opinions on staying at the Denali Princess?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We did an Alaskan cruise with the Denali add on a few years ago. We went with Holland American - big mistake. If you are cruising with Princess I noticed they have a cruise called Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound) which was almost identical to what we did. In Anchorage we took the train out to Denali and spent 2 nights there with one full day in the park. It was great. The day after the park we were put on a bus and taken to Fairbanks with an overnight stay there and time to look around before flying home.
    In Denali Park they keep the touring very much under the park ranger control. All is good and we saw all manner of wild life. The overnight accommodations are outside of the National Park. Where we stayed and at the Denali Princess, where one of my friends stayed, where not as nice as a Disney value resort. But you are in the Alaskan wilderness and it is clean and safe.
    I would be very careful with who you book through. My sister booked us from an independent travel agency from a Orange County Register newspaper ad (the one you see on TV all the time) and we had numerous problems. It would have been better to have handled everything directly with the cruise line.
    Any other questions I would be glad to answer if I can.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

4. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited Denali with a hiking group. Be aware that the hotels are all outside the park boundary. There are some paved trails around the visitor center but for the most part the recommendation is to take a bus into the park. Then, when you see an area that you want to explore more you just ask the bus to stop, you’ll get off, hike around then return to the road and the next bus that has space will stop to pick you up. This was NOT a comfortable idea for me. We took a bus to a river area (I believe it was called the Savage River) and hiked there. There was a parking lot, pit toilets and marked tails. I was okay with getting off the trail there because you just stay close to the river, you can’t get lost. If you want to experience the idea of being in the wild at Denali that’s the way I’d suggest.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we've been to Denali, but we stayed in a cabin in a neighboring town. But coincidently, DS spent several years as a music manager on Princess, including 3 summers on the Alaskan "route". The only things that either of us remember relevant to you is that Princess owns a pizza shoppe just outside of Denali (I forget the name) that DH and I went to, and it was delicious! Also, if you're cruising with Princess in Alaska, you'll go to Glacier Bay which DS always thought was very beautiful. He used to call me and say "Mom, I feel like I'm in the middle of a postcard." But DH wouldn't cruise-he's more the "cabin in the woods" or camping-type.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'll be going through Royal Caribbean. I am sure the other cruise lines are just as good. I have just always cruised with Royal Caribbean.

NewDVCowner - thanks for the tip. It my mom and stepdad (who are in their 70s) decide to go, Savage River is probably where I will take them then. My stepdad would be all for the adventure of stopping anywhere and exploring. My mom wouldn't.

TheDuckRocks - do you think you had enough time at Denali? I was thinking about staying for several days to relax and see the sights. Will it be boring if we do that?

Simbasmom - thanks for the pizza recommendation. The guys will definitely be all over that.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: