Quantcast Another Ninth Birthday Celebration at Disney - pre-trip report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Ninth Birthday Celebration at Disney - pre-trip report

Cast of crazy characters
    Me - Nikki - 32 and Disney trip planner and WDW veteran of the family. This will be my second trip to Disneyland
    Fiancee - Jamie - 37 and reluctant Disney traveler (he really likes it but won't admit it in public). Has been to the Magic Kingdom at WDW and the DTD in both Anaheim and Orlando many times. This will be his first trip to Disneyland parks.
    Kid 1 - 10 years old, "the princess". We took her and her brother to WDW in 2014 for her ninth birthday trip. This will be her first time at Disneyland.
    Kid 2 - will turn 9 years old, "the dude" and is the reason for our trip! He loves all things Star Wars, Lego, and Cars. Has been to WDW once and this will also be his first trip to Disneyland.

Day 1 - Travel, Arrival, and DTD
    We leave two weeks from today at ridiculous o'clock for a 5 a.m. departure from the east coast, and after a quick connection in Detroit we land at 11 a.m. Pacific at LAX. We'll pick up our rental car and are thinking of making a stop out at Santa Monica Pier for lunch and to say hello to the Pacific Ocean before going to the hotel to check in. We are staying at the Fairfield Inn across the street from the parks. I am so excited to be staying so close! After doing some settling in, we'll go to DTD to get some dinner and do some shopping, stop at the ticket window to get our passes, and generally get into the Disney spirit! I am sure we'll crash early after being up for so long and such an early morning.

Day 2 - Disneyland
    This will be our first day in the park and it'll be pretty free form. The Dude and Princess (and, let's be honest, their dad!) both love Star Wars so I am thinking we begin in Tomorrowland and hit up all the good stuff there. I am sure they will want to register for the Jedi Training Academy, do the character meets, Star Tours, and I will be itching to experience Hyperspace Mountain. We'll probably keep working over to Fantasyland and Toontown to round out the morning and early afternoon. I didn't see Mickey and the Magical Map last time, so I'd like to catch it this time around. Don't know where we're eating lunch, but we have a dinner reservation at Carnation Cafe. We will probably try to catch the parade and fireworks this night if our jet lag doesn't get the better of us.

Day 3 - California Adventure
    Again, a pretty free form day with a little bit of structure since this is the only day in this park. Begin the morning at Carsland and Paradise Pier, explore Bug's Land, do more character meets, hope Soarin' is open (it's listed as being open this day!), I'd like to check out the Food and Wine Festival a little as well. I don't know if we will stay for World of Color but I'd like to try since we've never seen it. I'm concerned about the viewing area even with Fastpasses, the kids are short and we don't want to hold them up so I hope they can see! No meal reservations this day, but that's ok since the counter service is so good here and at DTD and in the hotels so I am sure we won't go hungry!

Day 4 - Disneyland & The Dude's Birthday!
    Happy 9th Birthday, Dude! We begin with breakfast with Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Inn. Then we will work our way from Adventureland around to Critter Country and New Orleans Square, plus going back to do favorites or anything we missed from the first day in the park. We will let The Dude guide us since it's his day! We probably won't stay for the parade or fireworks unless we didn't see them earlier in the week. We need to get back to the hotel to pack up since the next morning is check out.

Day 5 - Legoland and Departure
    This day we are driving down to Carlsbad to visit Legoland. This was Jamie's request, since I am dragging (using air quotes) him to Disney yet again. He's wanted to go to Legoland for years, and we didn't make it to the Florida one on the princess' birthday trip. We will have all day to explore here before driving back up to LAX for our red eye flight home.

I can't wait to go back, and the kids are so excited!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great plan! Just so you know, the Food & Wine festival only happens Friday-Sundays. Nothing is really happening during the week. There are some special food items at "select" counter service locations, but all of the food booths are closed and there are no special events going on.

Hope you get great weather and low crowds! Maybe I'll run into you there one day.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know, you get a fast pass for Radiator Racers by Bugs Life. You will walk by it on your way to the racers. You will need them if your week there will be like ours last week. You will want to make sure you see the Paint the Night Parade. The floats are tall with the characters up high on them. So you won't have to be right up front to see them. The fireworks are amazing! It's not just the fireworks but the images on the castle and on the buildings along main street.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Sounds like a great plan! Just so you know, the Food & Wine festival only happens Friday-Sundays. Nothing is really happening during the week. There are some special food items at "select" counter service locations, but all of the food booths are closed and there are no special events going on.

Hope you get great weather and low crowds! Maybe I'll run into you there one day.
    Ah, ok. It's on the calendar as every day in April but I bet the booths are closed up the day we are there (Thursday). Definitely come over if you're free!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDaddy View Post
    Just so you know, you get a fast pass for Radiator Racers by Bugs Life. You will walk by it on your way to the racers. You will need them if your week there will be like ours last week. You will want to make sure you see the Paint the Night Parade. The floats are tall with the characters up high on them. So you won't have to be right up front to see them. The fireworks are amazing! It's not just the fireworks but the images on the castle and on the buildings along main street.
    Thanks! I do know where the RSR FP is, I think that if we want to ride later in the day we'll use it, but we will be there right at rope drop and I expect we'll go right there and get in standby early. Sometimes you wait longer getting a FastPass first thing in the morning than getting in standby instead. We also don't mind waiting 20-30 minutes for rides during the day, but I also hope we have lower crowds!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Great trip plan! You will have a fantastic time.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Thanks! I do know where the RSR FP is, I think that if we want to ride later in the day we'll use it, but we will be there right at rope drop and I expect we'll go right there and get in standby early. Sometimes you wait longer getting a FastPass first thing in the morning than getting in standby instead. We also don't mind waiting 20-30 minutes for rides during the day, but I also hope we have lower crowds!
    Might I suggest you do both!?

When we were there, March 29 and 31, the Fast Pass return time clock, just kept moving. It's a great ride and there is a variation in the ride depending on which track you end up on for the race.

JS
    3/89 WDW
    3/02 Day trip MK
    10/02 Honeymoon WL
    3/03 Day trip DLR
    10/03 1st Ann. ASMovies
    11/04-12/04 SSR
    9/05 Grand Calif
    7/06 WDW
    1/08 A Friend's Bachelor Party DLR
    8/09 DLR w/ newborn
    10/10 Princess' 1st trip to WDW
    6/14 Littlest Princess' 1st visit to WDW
    3/16 DLR
    9/19 WDW

7. Likes tinkwest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington View Post
    Great trip plan! You will have a fantastic time.

Might I suggest you do both!?

When we were there, March 29 and 31, the Fast Pass return time clock, just kept moving. It's a great ride and there is a variation in the ride depending on which track you end up on for the race.

JS
    We just might! I've been watching the app and wait times during the week last week seemed to be manageable for most rides except RSR, Hyperspace Mountain, Splash Mountain, and sometimes Star Tours. Over an hour to almost two hour waits at peak times. Which isn't that rare, and luckily most have Fast Passes. We actually don't mind waiting in queues all that much, but anything over 45 minutes is a little too much and turn the princess and dude into really cranky kids.

Over the weekend they came up with their list of must-dos (with a couple of mine and their dad's thrown in):
    Character meets - Chewy, Kylo Ren and Boba Fett, Princess Tiana, Aladdin & Jasmine, Olaf, Spiderman, Captain America, Mike & Sully, Lightning McQueen
    Attractions/Rides - Hyperspace Mountain, Star Tours, Alice in Wonderland, Mad Tea Party, Toontown and Rodger Rabbit, Indiana Jones, RSR and everything in Carsland, Soarin', Mike & Sully to the Resuce, Toystory Midway Mania, Small World, BTMRR, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan
    Entertainment - Paint the Night, Disneyland Forever, Tough to be a Bug, Mickey and the Magical Map, Jedi Training Academy/Experience/I don't know what it's actually called.

We leave tomorrow! I'd be happy to scope anything out if anyone has questions, if I can. I'm on Facebook and Twitter, send me a PM if you'd like to follow me. I will be mostly posting to FB, and maybe Instagram if I remember
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great must do list!

Hey, by the way, I have "heard" that the Food & Wine Festival booths ARE open during the week. I haven't seen physical evidence of such (like photos or anything), but my husband and I are going to DCA today for "date day" since he has a day off and we plan to hit up the booths. If they are indeed open, I'll report back and let you know!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Food booths ARE open and the food is amazing!!! Also, Soarin is open!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip!! Enjoy!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: