Quantcast 4th of July week. How bad is it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4th of July week. How bad is it?

So our first ever trip to Disneyland and California was kind of a bust. We are planning to try a redo next summer (2017).

We are positive, after our Jan. trip, that when we go back we want to go in the summer time. Football and military schedules dictate when we can travel and the 4th of July looks like the only week that will line up with our schedules. So there is really no compromising on the dates. Still just want to make sure I am prepared for how crowded it will be. Also wondering about weather. Surely it's not as hot and humid as Louisiana (we have same weather as Orlando), or is it???

Also, are the special nighttime entertainment offerings worth dealing with Disneyland crowds on the actual 4th of July holiday? Just looking over a calendar at how we would likely plan out our trip. At first glance it looks like our first park day would fall on July 4th. We've never done Disney World over the 4th of July holiday so I have nothing to compare it to. On one hand I think it would be cool to visit DL on the 4th to see the special fireworks, but then again would it be too crowded to enjoy? We would have 2 more days to visit the parks so that wouldn't be our only day. Thanks for any help!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you want to come back! I can answer a lot of your questions.

First, weather here is never really humid. This past 4th of July, it was quite overcast and drizzly, if memory serves me. We had just moved back here and I jokes about how we brought the rain from VA with us. Rain is VERY atypical for July, but this being an El Nino year, it happens. Temps will average in the low 80s. Mornings are typically "gloomy" but the sun comes out around 10-11 and the afternoons can feel hotter than they are due to the strong sun. However, once night falls, temps drop drastically into the 60s and coupled with practically no humidity, summer nights are extremely pleasant. Disneyland stays open until midnight daily in the summer.

I have never actually been in the park on July 4th, but it will probably be crowded. Most annual passes are blocked out so that helps a bit.

There is no "special" fireworks show on the 4th, to my knowledge. Just the regular nightly show. I would personally go to DCA on the 4th as it is better equipped to handle larger crowds.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick response Natalie!

Is 2017 also going to be an El Nino year? That is when we are planning. The weather you describe sounds pretty pleasant, minus the rain. This past Jan. the weather was dreadful most days!!

I had no idea the parks in California didn't have special shows for the 4th. Thanks for that info.

Perhaps this time we can try and schedule some time to meet, Natalie. I was so overwhelmed last time with planning and also being there for football, and getting sick, I never got around to contacting you about meeting up while there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

El Nino usually only lasts one year. By 2017 it won't be an issue. Although weather is pretty steady here as a rule. There are occasional heat waves in the summer and temps can get up towards 100. That never happened last summer though. I do recommend staying somewhere with a good pool so you can escape midday to cool down and return in the evening when it's cool.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Does grand californian have a good pool? That is where we wish to stay next year.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Does grand californian have a good pool? That is where we wish to stay next year.
    Yes! It's great. There are actually three pools all in the same place. Super comfy cushioned pool chairs and poolside bar service. It's perfect!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I was there just after 4th of July last year. The weather was a little atypical like Natalie said- it was overcast and drizzly in the mornings but the clouds burned up and the rest of the day was sunny and in the mid-80's. The evenings were in the 60's and very pleasant. Being summertime it was pretty crowded but nothing that wasn't unmanageable. Make sure you get parade and fireworks spots really early. Use fastpass- as you know, it's like the old system at WDW for now. By 2017, who knows what it will look like! Good luck with the remainder of your planning!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: