Quantcast Nice, affordable hotels in LA area

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice, affordable hotels in LA area

We are headed to Disneyland in Jan. We will be arriving at LAX on Jan. 1st, but won't check in to the Disneyland Resort until Jan. 3rd (start of military discount). We would like to do some other things in the LA area on the 1st and 2nd, and are looking for suggestions on a decent, clean hotel at an affordable price. Any areas we should avoid? Any hotels that offer a military rate would be great. Any and all suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Editing to add: We will be renting a car. Any suggestions on car rental companies to use (or avoid)?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can comfortably recommend the Marriott Courtyard LAX (the one closest to the airport), as far as having decent prices, nice rooms, and it's surprisingly quiet. However, its location is kind of a pain. I think I got a good AAA rate there when I stayed...around $135/night. I cannot recommend any other LAX area hotels, as most of them are pretty horrendous.

What other attractions are you going to be visiting. That will help with recommendations. But, just know that when you are talking about L.A. "affordable" is relative, and most places under $200-300 a night are going to be places you do NOT want to stay at.

We have been using Hertz rental car for over 10 years, exclusively. We have never had a bad experience, always get newer cars, always get upgraded, and their prices are good.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

4. Thanks buzznwoodysmom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good questions Natalie! I guess I should have included more info!

My kids have expressed interest in the following areas: Hollywood sign, walk of fame, Santa Monica pier, they would like to visit a few beaches. We really don't have a game plan (probably a bad idea). We do know that we don't plan to visit any of the other theme/amusement parks. Any suggestions on things we shouldn't miss with 15 and 13 year old boys would be appreciated.

I also realize that affordable is relative, lol. I was hoping to find something in the $100-200 range. I found tons of options online, but have no clue if these are in desirable areas. Really looking for a somewhat central location that we can have as a "home base" for those first two nights. Willing to pay a little more if it means we are in a safer location. Thanks again!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Do NOT rent from Hertz!! The LA location is the busiest in the country. I was stuck in a line for over an hour before I got to the the rental counter. Then I had to wait another 45 minutes before they had a car ready. This was the wait even with online booking.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    Do NOT rent from Hertz!! The LA location is the busiest in the country. I was stuck in a line for over an hour before I got to the the rental counter. Then I had to wait another 45 minutes before they had a car ready. This was the wait even with online booking.
    We are Gold members. We got free enrollment through our bank (USAA) and it has been amazing. We never have to visit the counter, book via the app, get a text with our car type and stall number, get in the car and drive out. Takes only as long as loading the car and finding the exit. Return is drop and go. We have no complaints in MANY rentals.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Well, those things you mentioned are located all over LA. I actually cannot recommend any beaches up there. I would recommend Huntington Beach in north Orange County to see a great beach town with surfers. It will likely be cold, cloudy and possibly rainy at the beaches in early January, just so you know. The Hollywood sign is pretty far north, but if you drive up to Griffith Park you can see the carousel that inspired Walt to build Disneyland, Walt's train barn, etc. That park has a lot to see. At least half a day worth.

Hollywood and the walk of fame is something that you can do in a couple hours. I did it once like 20 years ago and have never been back. It's definitely a once and done. There are lots of Tours that might be fun for your kids if they are really into movies.

Santa Monica Pier is okay. Your boys will probably like it. It is iconic so worth a visit. Probably only need a couple hours for that. I would combine that with the Hollywood day.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: