Quantcast Labor Day weekend trip- General thoughts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Labor Day weekend trip- General thoughts

Just returned yesterday from a long weekend trip. I will be posting Dining and Accommodations reviews in those forums, but wanted to share some general observations here. We only spent limited time in the parks, though we did go to all 4 parks over the 4 days we were there, but just for part of a day. This trip was more about relaxing and de-stressing from the last few months with dealing with my Mom’s declining health and her eventual passing at the end of July, which brought about new stresses concerning settling her estate. Also, we will be back at WDW the first week of November staying using DVC for Food and Wine. So, this trip was about just having a nice relaxed trip to our happy place!

We flew directly to Orlando and used Magical Express for the first time in about 8 years (we usually fly into Tampa and rent a car to see family before going to Disney). Magical Express worked just fine; it was a comfortable ride and my bag was in my room by the time we were back from dinner. We soon realized, however, we are not meant to rely solely on WDW transportation. We are very relaxed with plans when we are at WDW, but once we decide to do something, we just want to get there. It really drove us a bit crazy that it took 40 minutes to get to the Polynesian from WL or close to 30 minutes to get to the Contemporary because we just missed a boat. When driving, we would be at either place within 10 minutes and the car is valeted (we have Tables in Wonderland, so we receive complementary valet when dining). Busing to the parks wasn’t too bad, though it took a while to get Epcot since they picked up at Fort Wilderness for that route. We ended up using cabs for going back to WL from resorts because it was so much easier. Going forward, will always rent a car whether or not we are going to Tampa!

I forgot how humid it is at WDW in September! It is hot when we go for Food and Wine, but it is a lot less humid. We managed, but I will make a point to have bottled water with us if we go during this time again (we purchased water at WL Mercantile).

I’ll go into more detail in my Accommodation review, but I missed the layout of a DVC room. We weren’t able to get a DVC reservation for a holiday weekend on short notice (we booked 1 month out), so we stayed in a regular hotel room at Wilderness lodge. There was enough actual room for the two of us to co-exist in the room, thanks to double sinks, but my sister and unwind for bed differently (watching TV for me, reading in quiet for her), so it was an adjustment trying to get to sleep. We usually stay in at least a 1 bedroom with DVC, so we each have our own sleeping space.

We dined at many new places this trip. I will give reviews in Dining, but I we enjoyed every meal we had. Service was good at almost every place with two notable exceptions; Ohana, where our server disappeared for stretches, and Citricos Lounge, where servers were ignoring all small tables. I will go into detail about that adventure in dining over in the Dining forum .

Be on the lookout for the Dining and Accommodations reports in the next couple of days!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update on your trip!

I'm sorry about your mom.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you and Cheryl got a chance to get away. We always use cabs for resort hopping but buses for parks, my son used Uber in August so we're giving that a try later this month. Looking forward to your dining reviews.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it was an overall good trip.

I'm with you ... the more we go to Disney, the more we drive, it is just so easy and so much faster.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had a good trip Christine!!!

Yes... the transportation in WDW can be a bit frustrating....

Thanks for the report!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    It really drove us a bit crazy that it took 40 minutes to get to the Polynesian from WL or close to 30 minutes to get to the Contemporary because we just missed a boat.
    I was amazed by how long it took to get from Wilderness Lodge to the Polynesian. I think I spent a good 50 minutes getting there regretting that I left my car in the lot. We also had one problem returning from Magic Kingdom on the boat due to the Electric Water Pageant though if I had taken my car that probably would have been a wash since I would have had to then monorail or ferry.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear about your Mom, Christine.

I look forward tor reading your other reviews.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I experienced that my one time at Citricos as well, not the best service overall for the kind of dining experience it is pinned to be.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update! So very sorry about your mom.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% about having a car. And it's so inexpensive to rent a car in Orlando compared to most cities.

Don't get me wrong, I think it can be great to say goodbye to driving for a week, and I understand that many people find it a blessing: just what the doctor ordered. But, because we like to park hop or otherwise jump around, it usually doesn't work for us at Disney.

When we've done it, by the end of the trip I'm sometimes thinking, "How is it that I find myself waiting for a bus once again?" Disney vacations, for all their magic, do involve lots of walking and waiting in line. That last line, the one where you're waiting for the bus with the rest of the throng who closed the park, can be the limit.

Meanwhile, the tram ride to the car is a piece of cake. It whisks you away, and before you know it, you're comfortably seated in the peace of your car, thinking "Walt, thanks for another magical day. I've got it from here."
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

Hammer, first sorry about the passing of your mom. I did a similar trip several years back when I lost my dad. i wish you well
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MouseHouser View Post
    I agree 100% about having a car. And it's so inexpensive to rent a car in Orlando compared to most cities.

Don't get me wrong, I think it can be great to say goodbye to driving for a week, and I understand that many people find it a blessing: just what the doctor ordered. But, because we like to park hop or otherwise jump around, it usually doesn't work for us at Disney.

When we've done it, by the end of the trip I'm sometimes thinking, "How is it that I find myself waiting for a bus once again?" Disney vacations, for all their magic, do involve lots of walking and waiting in line. That last line, the one where you're waiting for the bus with the rest of the throng who closed the park, can be the limit.

Meanwhile, the tram ride to the car is a piece of cake. It whisks you away, and before you know it, you're comfortably seated in the peace of your car, thinking "Walt, thanks for another magical day. I've got it from here."
    I agree completely! It's not just the buses, but the entirety of the public transportation ... monorail, boats, buses ... all long waits and my motion sickness while riding those vehicles definitely does not lead to happy Disney thoughts.

And, to Hammer, I am very sorry to about you losing your mom, but very happy you could spend some time with your sister at your happy place.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone wants to read them, here is a link to my Wilderness Lodge review and my Dining reviews. Enjoy!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

You have my condolences on the passing of your Mom. Did you she go with you much to Disney? A couple of years ago I lost an Aunt that traveled to Disney with me nearly every time I went for several years. My first few trips without her were difficult.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: