Quantcast Paying OOP... Need advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paying OOP... Need advice

We are considering paying out-of-pocket for dining during our next trip. For those who have ventured away from the dining plan, I need advice on how to get the most bang for my buck! We plan to dine at about three TSs and the rest CSs. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

You don't really say what your food preferences are and if you are looking for quantity or quality, so this is a bit of a shot in the dark.

Starlight Rays in MK is great as you get a decent meal that can easily be split for a really good price. Family style is also a great way to go (like Liberty Tree Tavern, Boma, etc) Try to hit a late lunch rather than dinner as the prices tend to be cheaper for some places. Epcot has AMAZING QS places that are really tasty and not expensive too.

These are just fav's of ours that always feel like good deal for dollars for us. For TS, I would recommend Raglan Road(DTD), Boma (AKL) (a little more expensive) and 50s Diner(DHS). For QS, I would go with Starlight Rays(MK), Tangerine Café (Epcot), and Earl of Sandwiches(DTD).

Good Luck!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

We always go OOP. That, in itself, is getting the biggest bang for your buck because you're completely in charge of what you eat. You can share plates if portions are too big, you can get an appetizer and not an entree, you can all get entrees and desserts. It doesn't matter. That's why we do it. We spend a lot less on food than with the DDP, especially with the Tables in Wonderland discount card (available to AP holders and FL residents). The main thing is just to eat the way you want to rather than the way you have to with the DDP.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We are not big eaters, so we have never used the dining plan because the cost would be more than if we paid OOP for the amount of food we would normally order. We usually don't get apps or desserts unless we are not eating an entrée. We eat breakfast in our room bagels, donuts, poptarts..... one table service each day...and one quick service. I know that people say table service lunch is cheaper than table service dinner, but I just don't see that anymore (haven't for a long time). The only way I see a price difference is if it's a totally different menu and most have the same menu for dinner and lunch. There are exceptions but you are getting two different menus for lunch and dinner. We recently ate lunch at Tony's and they had sandwiches and pizza for lunch, so yes it was cheaper than dinner, but the dinner selections were actually meals instead of sandwiches.

I think eating at Disney has been complicated for some time now. What I do is to look at where we are going to eat, the menu for the actual meal, the number of days we are eating in the park and go from there. Some years I have purchased the TIW card and has saved us money, but you have to be careful. I factor in the cost of the card, figure out if our restaurants take the card, and the discount for each restaurant. I have to be sure to at least break even before buying the card.

IMO if everyone in your party usually eats what is including in the dinning plan at each meal, then the plan is a savings........if it is more food than everyone eats then you are paying for food you wouldn't be normally and you are wasting money.

Even snacks....unless it is ice cream (and that's something we rarely get at Disney) we share...we never buy indivisual snacks for everyone. I always read how people in the dining plan have so many snack credits left that they are getting multiple snacks on the last day just to use up the credits. To me that is just wasted money.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We've done it both ways and have found out it's cheaper for us to pay as we go. We're not big dessert eaters and we always ended up bringing a bunch of snacks back with us. We like the food courts at Port Orleans. It seems unless you're starving, a lot of the meals are big enough to share. We also like the Liberty Tree and the Trails End. A lot of the counter serve places offer full meals beside the usual hamburger, chicken strip fare. An added benefit is not being tied to a dinner reservation, it's much more spontaneous!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep going back and forth about whether or not we are adding on the dining plan for our upcoming trip. I've used the Dining Plan in the past, but I haven't tracked our purchases closely so I don't know if we ended up spending more than we would have OOP.

I used a site that lets you put in your restaurants and estimates your expenses OOP vs DP and it's various iterations, it looks like it would be about 50 more for us to do the DP based on the average bills at those restaurants. If I try to price it out with slightly pricier items, it looks like we save about 50. Plus we definitely don't need desert twice a day, and often my husband would just as soon share my desert vs order one of his own.

I think as I write this, I'm leaning more towards paying OOP this trip and just keeping close track of our dining expenses and comparing it to what I would have paid for the dining plan.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakegirl View Post

I think as I write this, I'm leaning more towards paying OOP this trip and just keeping close track of our dining expenses and comparing it to what I would have paid for the dining plan.
    That's a good way to really see if the DP works for your family. It doesn't for ours, but other families say it does for theirs.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We eat one main meal,one light meal and a snack. No matter where we eat it seems to be cheaper paying as we go. And we eat signature dining a lot.

The best value, with the best food, if you don't want a buffet or signature dining - Flametree at AK, Captain Hook's at Poly, Trails End at FW, Columbia Harbour House at MK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD. I would be happy at any of these places- food choices and food is soooo good. And sometimes we snack our way around Epcot, with a choice from each country. That doesn't always end up cheap but a real treat!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

What I use to pay for everything is a Disney gift card. I get mine at Target with my Red Card. It gives you 5% off the purchase. I just got $250 in gift cards and only paid $237.50. Saving me $12.50.

You have some good suggestions on where to eat. Just a thought on how to pay for it.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We typically pay out of pocket. We don't necessarily make a plan ahead of time as to what we're going to eat. We often make dining reservations - particularly for those hard to reserve restaurants. Once at the restaurant, however, we order what we please - less if we are not too hungry; more, if we want to add in an appetizer and/or dessert.

When I tracked our dining against the dining plan, I found that I came out ahead financially.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    What I use to pay for everything is a Disney gift card. I get mine at Target with my Red Card. It gives you 5% off the purchase. I just got $250 in gift cards and only paid $237.50. Saving me $12.50.

You have some good suggestions on where to eat. Just a thought on how to pay for it.
    What a great idea!
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    We typically pay out of pocket. We don't necessarily make a plan ahead of time as to what we're going to eat. We often make dining reservations - particularly for those hard to reserve restaurants. Once at the restaurant, however, we order what we please - less if we are not too hungry; more, if we want to add in an appetizer and/or dessert.

When I tracked our dining against the dining plan, I found that I came out ahead financially.
    This is how we do it too.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas To Save money eating OOP, eat TS at either breakfast or lunch. Both are cheaper than dinner.

If you can, bring snacks from outside the parks. We usually bring a back pack with chips, cookies and granola bars.

If you are really trying to save the $$$ order water everywhere you go. Disney gives it to you for free.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually never had the dining plan and was thinking of using it next time I go. It never dawned on me to do a comparison! I think I will do that before I go. But if they offer a free Dining plan, I will take it!

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)
    '04~Saratoga
    '05~Polynesian (Apr)
    '05~Pop (Sep)
    '06~POR FQ
    '14-Pop
    '16~Off (March)
    '16~ASMusic (Aug)
    '17~Off'

Post Thanks / Like

One thought (that hasn't been posted on here yet) is to see if you qualify for the Tables in Wonderland card. That will give you discounts at TS restaurants. Basically, it covers the tip. But hey! That's a lot of money!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    One thought (that hasn't been posted on here yet) is to see if you qualify for the Tables in Wonderland card. That will give you discounts at TS restaurants. Basically, it covers the tip. But hey! That's a lot of money!
    I mentioned it in an above post, but even with that you need to be careful. Some restaurants don't take it, you need to figure out how many days you will be using it and for how many people. I don't suggest buying it unless you are sure you are going to at least break even.

I think it costs $100 for annual pass holders so you would have to spend $500 at table service restaurants that take the card in order to break even. This is easy to do if you have 5 people for a couple of days at restaurants that take the card....but if you only have two people on a long weekend or not all of your restaurants participate then you may be wasting your money.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
    I have actually never had the dining plan and was thinking of using it next time I go. It never dawned on me to do a comparison! I think I will do that before I go. But if they offer a free Dining plan, I will take it!
    Keep in mind that, when they offer "free dining", you will be paying rack rate for your room. Part of your price comparison should include the difference between the package (including room rack rates) versus being able to get a room discount along with paying for dining out of pocket. When we did this comparison, there was no doubt that our "free dining" was actually more expensive than having a room discount and paying for our food out of pocket. Others have pointed out that this difference may disappear for larger families. This could be true since my traveling party consisted only of two adults.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Keep in mind that, when they offer "free dining", you will be paying rack rate for your room. Part of your price comparison should include the difference between the package (including room rack rates) versus being able to get a room discount along with paying for dining out of pocket. When we did this comparison, there was no doubt that our "free dining" was actually more expensive than having a room discount and paying for our food out of pocket. Others have pointed out that this difference may disappear for larger families. This could be true since my traveling party consisted only of two adults.

This is true also....And this is why it is so important to take an hour or so and make comparisons. I make a chart one with "free dining", one with the room discount instead, one with TIW, I add in the amount of people in our party, number of days we will be there, and where we will be eating for the upcoming trip. All of these variables can make a difference. What is cheaper for us on one trip may not be for the next because the variables change from trip to trip. That is why everyone should figure out the cost for their own families because one size does not fit all.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, everyone!

Question about room discount: Do they offer room discounts for value resorts? Pop, specifically. Just wanting to take that into account when making a dining/room rate analysis.
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the other micki View Post
    Question about room discount: Do they offer room discounts for value resorts? Pop, specifically. Just wanting to take that into account when making a dining/room rate analysis.
    Yes, definitely. Actually, room only discounts are often easier to get with your top choice than package discounts, and way easier than "free" dining discounts. It's been pretty rare that I haven't gotten the room only discount at the resort I wanted.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: