Quantcast WashPost - Disney parks unreachable for middle class - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I find myself agreeing with a lot of PP's. Yeah it's expensive but so are most resorts and WDW is a resort. Do I wish it was cheaper? Of course, I haven't been able to go for 6 years now and I don't hold it against Disney. I'll be there when I get there and that is when I can afford it. Until then I'll keep coming to intercot to get my fix. I do enjoy all the back and forth about the parks and learning how to get the most bang for your buck.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I say I expect to pay the price. Maybe that's sad, maybe that's just the way things are now. I pay because I know the experience is going to be well worth it. Nowhere else can give me what I get at WDW. These days many employees allow their pay to effect their performance, and this usually means the "you get what you pay for" adage applies most places. Cheap motel, poor experience versus expensive hotel, excellent service.

I do think there is some truth to the idea that inflation puts WDW prices pretty much in line with what they were charging decades past. But pair that with a disappearing middle class and you have the idea that it's being priced out of reach for many.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Oh no you didn't!

Seriously, some will argue there isn't a middle class in America anymore. I don't pass judgement on other based on how much they make, how they look, where they live, etc. I pass judgement on their actions. I will admit however, I have great difficulty in understanding how some people live at they level they do with what they make. Single income just doesn't compute with me, even one of our salaries is very high and I can't imagine living on that. I amazing how people can make that work. Kudos!
    Yes, that is true. And there is good evidence that it may be more and more the case. A vanishing middle class.
    And I agree! I pass judgement on actions as well. And I'm sure you've seen it as well at WDW. Some things, I have to just shake my head, hurry and move my children along, and imagine myself at inner peace or, things wouldn't end well!

Thank you. To some degree it's a choice we've made. To sacrifice and have less, to have more time with the boys as they are little.
    Last year I did work for a company for the first time where I was actually paid WELL to match my skill and degrees. The money was GREAT! I won't lie.
    The downside? I was working 12 hours a day Mon-Fri. Then taking working home AND going in on Saturdays to other work that I couldn't do with a busy office.
    I never saw my children. I was exhausted when I got home by 6:30pm. We spent most of our money eating out because my husband didn't get home until 5:30 and we were both too exhausted to cook.
    My children were having a rough time and it started showing in their behavior.
    Finally one evening, the straw that broke the camel's back is when both boys came to me crying and saying we don't see you anymore mom.
    I just couldn't do it anymore.
    I gave up my director position and went back to a simple preschool teacher. And I'm so much happier! My boys are happier and so is my husband.

Maybe in the future once the boys are in those teen years and too cool for mom and dad But now, it works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    I say I expect to pay the price. Maybe that's sad, maybe that's just the way things are now. I pay because I know the experience is going to be well worth it. Nowhere else can give me what I get at WDW. These days many employees allow their pay to effect their performance, and this usually means the "you get what you pay for" adage applies most places. Cheap motel, poor experience versus expensive hotel, excellent service.

I do think there is some truth to the idea that inflation puts WDW prices pretty much in line with what they were charging decades past. But pair that with a disappearing middle class and you have the idea that it's being priced out of reach for many.
    I so agree with the bolded part. Not everyone of course. But even 20 years ago when I worked at McDonalds, many would actually say "I only get minimum wage so I don't care."
    While I understand the sentiment, doing your job well can bring about change!
    I started at minimum wage there, which I think was a little over $5 at the time. By the time I left nearly 4 years later I was at 9.50 which was not bad some 15 years ago!
    I took pride in my work. Not that I'm bragging! LOL. But I just reminded myself that I needed to treat others the way I would want treated and served. It has always worked for me.
    Even as a preschool teacher now. I don't look at the low pay. I look at the children as my own and that makes all the difference.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Last year I did work for a company for the first time where I was actually paid WELL to match my skill and degrees. The money was GREAT! I won't lie.

The downside? I was working 12 hours a day Mon-Fri. Then taking working home AND going in on Saturdays to other work that I couldn't do with a busy office.
    I never saw my children. I was exhausted when I got home by 6:30pm. We spent most of our money eating out because my husband didn't get home until 5:30 and we were both too exhausted to cook.
    Given the time you had to put in to get this level of pay..... sounds like it was actually not matching your skills and degrees. Larger paycheck in total... lower hourly wage than the skills and degrees would dictate.

Money is not everything in life. It certainly helps to have some...... but other factors are just as important.

From your comments...... looks like you have you "ducks in a row".

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Given the time you had to put in to get this level of pay..... sounds like it was actually not matching your skills and degrees. Larger paycheck in total... lower hourly wage than the skills and degrees would dictate.
    This is pretty much how most high paying jobs go though. Salaried employees rarely put in a straight 40 hour work week. Most work much more.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    This is pretty much how most high paying jobs go though. Salaried employees rarely put in a straight 40 hour work week. Most work much more.
    Unfortunately true.

best,

................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

My husband said the same thing. If I broke it down to hourly pay it ended up being below even minimum wage.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to joke that my last job (before I got my wonderful new job) I worked so many hours as a salary employee that I owed the company money. Ha! I know that's not possible but I worked a lot without compensation.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

For many, it is expected to work 60+ every week. When I had some health issues and "cut my hours back" to a straight 40, I basically became an outcast.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be one of the few but yes I believe it is pricing out the middle class. It is expensive to go, eat, stay and do anything extra. The price is way out of range for many families that can only dream of going. You could go to an island and stay in an all inclusive and do excursions for a fraction of the price. Is that the same ? No but it is a vacation and people have only so many vacation dollars. 100+ a day to get in, plus food for each family member is a lot. That is not adding in the cost to get there and return home and please do not even bring up souvenirs .
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    I may be one of the few but yes I believe it is pricing out the middle class. It is expensive to go, eat, stay and do anything extra. The price is way out of range for many families that can only dream of going. You could go to an island and stay in an all inclusive and do excursions for a fraction of the price. Is that the same ? No but it is a vacation and people have only so many vacation dollars. 100+ a day to get in, plus food for each family member is a lot. That is not adding in the cost to get there and return home and please do not even bring up souvenirs .
    OK...I have said this before and I think it bears repeating: Very few people purchase a One-Day ticket to a Disney park, or Universal for that matter, so the quoted price in the article is just to make a point.

For most people, an Orlando vacation is 4 or more days. At that number of days, the price drops on a per day basis to $76.25. Still a hefty hunk of change, but keep going and make it a 10-Day trip and the price drops to $36.50 per day, which is quite reasonable. HersheyPark, here in south central PA, is a one-day park (for me at least) and costs more than $36.50 per day -- A One-Day ticket is $61.95, with a 2- and 3-Day ticket dropping to $79 ($39.50/day) & $110 ($36.67/day) respectively. I can easily do 10 days at WDW!!

Food is another thing that I just don't understand all the fuss over. Go to a ballpark and see what "counter service" food costs vs. "counter service" at WDW. I think you will find that the prices are right in line with each other. Yes, Table Service can be quite a bit higher than your typical "nice" restaurant at home, but I feel that the service and theme is well worth the difference.

I, honestly, would like to see a breakdown of a WDW vacation vs. an all-inclusive island vacation with excursions. I have priced some out for myself and have not found much, if any, difference in total costs. (Unless, of course, you are a big drinker and alcohol is included in the package.)

Just my 2 cents worth, but I believe that vacations, as a whole, are being priced right out of the middle class budget.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    OK...I have said this before and I think it bears repeating: Very few people purchase a One-Day ticket to a Disney park, or Universal for that matter, so the quoted price in the article is just to make a point.
    You know, I used to think that, and it's certainly true of those of us who frequent Disney vacation planning boards, but I have a feeling I'd be surprised at just how many one day tickets are actually sold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    You know, I used to think that, and it's certainly true of those of us who frequent Disney vacation planning boards, but I have a feeling I'd be surprised at just how many one day tickets are actually sold.
    Maybe for some folks only that one day is all they can afford? So they're there from park opening to park closing - to get their money's worth?

I just recently watched the two episodes of The Middle - where they went to WDW. Interesting how they portrayed that family of not being able to afford to go on vacation (the daughter won a free trip) - and how they acted about it.

As for the middle class? Its still there - someone needs to be in the middle - I just think there is less disposable income than what they used to have. And this can be tied back to how many people are working for minimum wage - which isn't a living wage..... Think of how much costs have risen for everything - food, clothing, childcare, medical, COLLEGE (that is just crazy), cars, houses - etc. Now add vacations to it........

I consider myself fortunate that I can go year after year..... It is luxury expense on my part - and will be one of the first to ever go - should I fall on hard times......
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I, honestly, would like to see a breakdown of a WDW vacation vs. an all-inclusive island vacation with excursions. I have priced some out for myself and have not found much, if any, difference in total costs. (Unless, of course, you are a big drinker and alcohol is included in the package.)

Just my 2 cents worth, but I believe that vacations, as a whole, are being priced right out of the middle class budget.

Yup.

Try going to a major ski resort for 10 days. If you want to be the equivalent of being at Disney.... just in a different industry....... go to VAIL for 10 days. Makes Disney look cheap.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

PopPhan wrote:
    " Go to a ballpark and see what "counter service" food costs vs. "counter service" at WDW. I think you will find that the prices are right in line with each other"

I really never understood this analogy..Who spends the equivalent of dinner at a
    ball park every day of their vacation for each person in the family for every meal, when camping or at the beach or on a road trip?
    I know I don't pay Disney prices every time I get a cola or a bottle of water when on other vacations. I get it that is can cost $100 to see a show or a concert but I don't go to those 10 or even 7 days in a row.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Yup.

Try going to a major ski resort for 10 days. If you want to be the equivalent of being at Disney.... just in a different industry....... go to VAIL for 10 days. Makes Disney look cheap.

best,

...............john
    Lucky for me I have friends in Vail and Steamboat Springs,
    so I don't have to spend Disney prices to ski.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy for pluto View Post
    PopPhan wrote:
    " Go to a ballpark and see what "counter service" food costs vs. "counter service" at WDW. I think you will find that the prices are right in line with each other"

I really never understood this analogy..Who spends the equivalent of dinner at a
    ball park every day of their vacation for each person in the family for every meal, when camping or at the beach or on a road trip?
    I know I don't pay Disney prices every time I get a cola or a bottle of water when on other vacations. I get it that is can cost $100 to see a show or a concert but I don't go to those 10 or even 7 days in a row.
    The point is, Disney World is an ENTERTAINMENT venue and a RESORT. It is not camping, or the beach, or a road trip. Compared to other entertainment venues, the prices are not out of line. Compared to other resorts, it is also not out of line. Heck, I just stayed at a Courtyard Marriott. I had breakfast in their take out "cafe." A single serve container of cereal, a small milk carton, and a banana cost me $11.50. I nearly fell over. Even Disney resorts don't charge that much for that stuff.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the middle class is priced out of going to WDW. Expensive meals are not the only choice. Ticket prices are high but everything is going up in price. most people save for any vacation. For the price of counter service meals I think the quality of the food is very good. And the value resorts are especially fun for kids.

Going on a trip has gotten expensive anywhere you go. But it doesn't keep us from going.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

The comparisons often made in these threads are typically not things I would've been doing or considered to be competing with WDW for my vacation dollars. Sometimes I think it is like saying Tesla's cars are cheap because look how expensive a Bentley is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Ticket prices are high but everything is going up in price.
    I don't know much in this world that has gone up in price at a similar rate over the past 10 years. What else is comparable to that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: