Quantcast Frozen Ever After

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frozen Ever After

From the Wall Street Journal:

Anna, Elsa, Kristof, Olaf and even those adorable little Snowgies are taking residence in Epcot Center next year in a new ride Disney is calling “Frozen Ever After.”

Imagineers at the company’s headquarters in California gave Speakeasy a first look at the attraction, which will replace the 27 year-old Maelstrom ride at the Norway pavilion in Epcot next year. The tour came courtesy of Imagineering creative executive Kathy Mangum, who oversees the Walt Disney World Resort. She showed off storyboards for the attraction and a virtual tour in a room called the “DISH” that utilizes 3-D images projected on the walls, ceiling and floor to simulate a ride before it is built.

“What we try to do is take you back to the movie without retelling that story,” Ms. Mangum said of “Frozen Ever After.” “This is a celebration of the characters, a way for guests who love the film to experience it in a completely different way.”

While it doesn’t feature any new songs, there are several new lyrics to existing melodies written for “Frozen Ever After” by movie composers Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson Lopez.

Maelstrom, on which visitors ride a floating log on a tour through Norwegian mythology, has been “gutted,” Ms. Mangum said, and is currently getting “a whole new overlay with ‘Frozen.’” While the logs and the path will remain the same, everything you see along the way is being replaced.

The setting for “Frozen Ever After” is the winter festival that takes place in summer, when residents of Arendelle apparently celebrate their favorite season of the year in the midst of its polar opposite.

While waiting on line, which is sure to take longer than the four-minute ride, visitors will walk by Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post. The trader with the thick accent will occassionaly clear steam on the windows to utter a hearty “yoo-hoo!” to people walking by. “We consider this scene one,” Ms. Mangum said.

Once they board their logs, “Frozen Ever After” riders will first see goofy snowman Olaf and equally goofy reindeer Sven setting up the Winter Festival premise.

Next is a stop at Troll Valley, where Grandpappy Troll tells a gathering of children the story of how Anna and Kristof met, before the log goes up a ramp to find Olaf again, singing a song while ice skating, right next to Anna and Kristof, who are singing with their friend Sven.

Behind a set of doors is the moment any visitor is sure to be waiting for: Elsa, on a balcony, singing “Let It Go” in her ice castle. It’s the centerpiece of the ride, “the big, big scene,” Ms. Mangum said, and it features elaborate effects to create simulated snow crystals soaring around the room.

Visitors will next ride by Marshmallow, the giant, formerly evil snowman from “Frozen” and his miniature Snowgie pals, who show up in the short “Frozen Fever,” which ran in front of March’s “Cinderella.”

Marshmallow himself yells “Let It Go” in time with Elsa’s song before the log travels through a mist cloud and reaches the final scene, which includes fireworks and a wave from Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Sven and Kristof.

The audio-animatronic characters will be cutting edge, Ms. Mangum said, using a new technology that includes projectors behind the faces to enable more lifelike animation. It was first used on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride that opened in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom last year.

Disney executives and designers started discussing a “Frozen” ride before the film even came out, said chief operating officer Tom Staggs, who ran the theme park unit until February. But “our urgency grew as the film really took off,” he said, and “we purposefully set a really audacious goal to get this thing done.” That’s one of the reasons why it’s a makeover of Maelstrom, rather than an entirely new attraction that would take longer to build.

The company is counting on “Frozen Ever After” to boost the popularity of Epcot, where attendance was essentially flat between 2009 and 2013, the most recent year for which data are available, according to the Themed Entertainment Association. “Cars Land” did the same for Disney’s California Adventure theme park, which struggled before an area based on the Pixar movie opened in 2012.

Of course, some may question whether the the fictional world of Arendelle belongs in Epcot’s World Pavilion, which has always been about touring countries that actually exist, like Japan, Mexico, and Norway.

But Mr. Staggs argued that “Frozen Ever After” is sure to draw more visitors to the Norway Pavilion, and Epcot as a whole, and that the movie is in fact based significantly on Scandinavian culture, art and mythology.

“If the goal is to give people a taste of something like Scandinavia with the Norway pavilion, then ‘Frozen’ would only increase the extent to which people would be drawn to it,” he said. “To me it doesn’t seem out-of-character at all.”
    Not sure I agree with Mr. Staggs on his assessment of what seems out-of-character, but based on what is described here I am intrigued. If they can deliver on some of these effects and details, at least it won't seem like a Frozen overlay over the skeleton of what Maelstrom used to be. They are keeping the track (although why bring back the ride vehicles, it will only make me weepy for the original ride!) but my interpretation of the article is there will be an entirely new "show."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Melanie; 06-09-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added image
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea, but the description seems to really show just how out of place this attraction really is. My first thought was "and this teaches people what about Norway?"

Epcot's attendance has been flat, as we all well know, because Epcot has been neglected and has completely lost all focus (something that happened first at "Disney's MGM Hollywood Studios Adventure Thingy." This development addresses problem one, but compounds problem two.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

"The company is counting on “Frozen Ever After” to boost the popularity of Epcot, where attendance was essentially flat between 2009 and 2013, the most recent year for which data are available, according to the Themed Entertainment Association. “Cars Land” did the same for Disney’s California Adventure theme park, which struggled before an area based on the Pixar movie opened in 2012."

Why not make something NEW instead of gutting something that people already love. There is unused space in the Germany building...put a ride in there! Do something with the Horizons building. make NEW country. Something....
    Everybodys got a laughin place!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited, and it will certainly boost Epcot's numbers. But this has to only be step one. Hopefully this is the start of a much needed Epcot reboot.

Post Thanks / Like

From Disney Parks Blog:

First Look: ‘Frozen Ever After’ at Epcot

The story of “Frozen” has swept the hearts of people around the world, and we have been busy bringing it to life in our parks — from royal greetings with Anna and Elsa to sing-alongs to special screenings of the animated short “Frozen Fever.”

We first told you about our plans for a “Frozen” attraction in Epcot last fall and today, we’re thrilled to share a first look at what’s coming when it opens in 2016.

“Frozen Ever After,” is an adventure fit for the entire family that will take guests through the kingdom of Arendelle. The fantastic Disney storytelling combined with new technology and favorite moments and music from the film will make guests feel like they stepped into the magical world of “Frozen.”

Guests will be transported to the Winter in Summer Celebration where Queen Elsa embraces her magical powers and creates a winter-in-summer day for the entire kingdom. They will also visit Elsa’s Ice Palace and the ice-blue world of the North Mountain along with other locations before returning to the Bay of Arendelle. Of course, favorite “Frozen” characters, including the Snowgies from the animated short “Frozen Fever,” will be part of this new attraction, along with the spectacular sights inspired by the film.

The Norway Pavilion’s exterior will be expanded with many unique Norwegian architectural features and the interior design of the “Royal Sommerhus” will reflect the cultural arts and crafts of Norway, providing a charming setting for guests to meet Elsa and Anna.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the Snowgies will be available for purchase!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was hopeful, but I think this sounds awful. Popular for the kids and Frozen lovers, so there's that. But I'm pretty sure I'll always miss Maelstrom and this is way too cute for my preference. Not really complaining. It will bring in crowds and I'm happy for the Frozen fans.

But. That face projection on the animated figures? I'm not sure why they're so hyped on the technique. I find it unrealistic and creepy looking. Anyone else?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    But. That face projection on the animated figures? I'm not sure why they're so hyped on the technique. I find it unrealistic and creepy looking. Anyone else?
    I like it on the Dwarfs. I think it's pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

*IF* this turns out to be the beginning of a much needed - as it was put above - REBOOT of Epcot, then I will welcome the change with open arms.

However, if this is just a bandaid to try to cure flat attendance with no other long term solutions in sight, I'll be pretty upset.

I'm not opposed to change and am hopeful this will be a great attraction (I really am)... but there is so much other work to do in the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I am not opposed to change either, and I like the fact that they are going to re-use the same ride vehicles, for sentimental reasons.

However, this is what bothers me:

“If the goal is to give people a taste of something like Scandinavia with the Norway pavilion, then ‘Frozen’ would only increase the extent to which people would be drawn to it,” he said. “To me it doesn’t seem out-of-character at all.”

Apparently, Mr. Staggs is a politician running for office. Just tell us the truth. I am fine with moving Epcot into a new direction, but say so. Something along the line of "Walt himself said that his theme parks would always evolve and change, and in that spirit, we are changing the direction and vision of Epcot" or whatever.

Instead we get spin, spin, spin, control the message....

To me, this fits up there with "Scheduling FastPass+ 60 days in advance has allowed our guests to be more spontaneous". Really? Good stuff.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

The description leaves me feeling kinda "meh", to be honest. Now, I actually did not like Maelstrom at all either, but something about the mish mash of randomness that seems to make up this ride (based solely on this article) makes me not that excited.

I do like the projection technology on the animatronics, but I don't think I will like it if it is used on the people. If its just Olaf and the snow monster, that's fine. I can't imagine Anna or Elsa with a projected face. That would be weird.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear some concepts for the scenes, but did anyone else read them and think "that's all?" Then I remember that the 'ride' portion of Maelstrom always felt so short, and since the duration will be the same there are only going to be so many scenes they can squeeze in.

If it brings the extra crowds I hope they're willing to put some of that money to use in adding further attractions to Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Nice to hear some concepts for the scenes, but did anyone else read them and think "that's all?"
    I agree this description feels short. Judging by the videos on youtube Maelstrom was about a 4 minutes from boarding to unboarding.

I think the most interesting thing is the Troll Valley before the hill climb. The first hill climb was right after loading so something might have changed. I remember awhile back I thought it might be beneficial to making the exit of Maelstrom (the town re-themed to Arendel) the loading area. This would open up the entire old loading zone to new scenes. But loading/unloading efficiency would have to be paramount. Or they could of reversed direction of the ride. Hmm, I'll be thinking on how they can put two scenes in before the hill climb for the rest of the night now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure those things you rode in were BOATS, not LOGS. Am I wrong?

At any rate, the supposed reasoning for the attraction is pretty weak and clearly demonstrates how lost Disney is with that park. They should be thanking the stars that attendance has only been flat. If guests were demanding about quality, it would have surely declined during the past decade.

Post Thanks / Like

Just when I finally let it pass and quit ranting about this, they go and do a press release and now I am on a cussing rampage all over again. I will wait until it passes a little before I give my thoughts on what was stated in the release and the state/direction of Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefan43 View Post
    There is unused space in the Germany building...put a ride in there!
    Because "Frozen" would be *even MORE* out of place in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by firefan43 View Post
    Do something with the Horizons building.
    They did "do something with the Horizons building" - they *demolished* it to build the new (well, 12-year-old, now) "Mission: Space" show building.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

With crazy wait times already for the old ride, I think they are expecting a little too much in terms of this as a boost to attendance. They aren't increasing capacity I believe, so lines will be worse than before if they get their wish. Sounds like it might be a disappointment for many if its just an overlay.

Something new would certainly be a more welcome change.

I'ts pretty clear that Epcot need serious help. How many shuttered attractions are the in Epcot right now? Maelstrom, Captain EO, Wonders of Life, Innoventions. No concerns over capacity it seems either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I'ts pretty clear that Epcot need serious help. How many shuttered attractions are the in Epcot right now? Maelstrom, Captain EO, Wonders of Life, Innoventions. No concerns over capacity it seems either.
    2 of the 4 parks are in a sad state at the moment. Hardly worth the price of admission, compared to the other 2. I never thought I'd be saying that AK is a better place to visit than both Epcot and DHS, but I really believe it at the moment. Epcot peaked in the 90s, and maybe rode that wave just barely into the new millennium, before beginning a steady decline that it has not yet recovered from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    2 of the 4 parks are in a sad state at the moment. Hardly worth the price of admission, compared to the other 2. I never thought I'd be saying that AK is a better place to visit than both Epcot and DHS, but I really believe it at the moment. Epcot peaked in the 90s, and maybe rode that wave just barely into the new millennium, before beginning a steady decline that it has not yet recovered from.

And AK is FULL of construction walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    They did "do something with the Horizons building" - they *demolished* it to build the new (well, 12-year-old, now) "Mission: Space" show building.

I think it's pretty clear he meant Wonders of Life. And he's right!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: