Quantcast ESPYs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: ESPYs

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down ESPYs

I'm just curious about Intercotee's reactions to the Arthur Ashe Courage Award selection. I have been an avid Disney fan since I first went to Disney in 1978 and have watched ESPN since its inception. I cannot believe that a company that was founded on family and courage would honor a politically correct honoree and ignore true courage. I have never in MY LIFE been embarrassed by a company as I have been with this selection of Caitlyn Jenner for the ESPY courage award. I have no problem with his/her choices -- what you choose to do with your body is your business. However, I believe Walt Disney believed in childhood and the beauty of innocence! My son who is an avid ESPN watcher (at 10 years old) will not understand this and why a reality tv star with money chose to become a woman and someone with TRUE courage was thrown by the wayside. Disney (stock holders) are pandering to the ratings game. I have never thought twice in my life about going to Disney World or being a Disney fan but I seriously am going to do some deep soul searching about supporting Disney (ESPN) from this point forward. I can't imagine that Walt Disney could even comprehend his company's direction at this point. I know that ESPN is a different "division" from the parks but I cannot help but feel that it all goes to the same "pot" of money. The Walt Disney Company is now answering to the stockholder and must show profit and growth in all areas -- how do you should profit and growth in this day and age -- pandering to the lowest common denominator. I'm so deeply saddened that this is where Disney is today. I think we see it in all aspects of Disney -- less customer service, bottom-line cuts, less services for more money. I will go to Disney in November and I will try to enjoy what may be the last of the truly "Disney" experiences. I'm truly afraid it is all downhill from now on.
    Aug. 2017 - Disney Wonder Alaska
    Jan. 2017 - All-Star Sports
    Nov. 2015 - Contemporary
    Feb, 2014 - Disney Magic Cruise
    Sept. 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 - CSR
    Oct. 2008 - AKL and Contemporary
    Mar. 2004 - Disneyland
    Sept. 2002- Poly/Cruise
    Sept. 2001 - AKL
    Dec. 1995 - POR Honeymoon

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

MODERATOR ALERT!

This is quite clearly a sensitive and controversial topic. I'll be watching this thread very closely to ensure all comments are on point, relevant, family friendly, and not offensive to those of different viewpoints.

As always if we can behave like grownups we'll be fine.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

People said the same thing when WDW first started gay days. The naysayers will survive and Disney will not be at a loss. I don't feel like it was a decision made solely because of money. It would have been far easier to choose a less controversial winner which would have ruffled no one's feathers. I applaud ESPN for choosing to recognize that courage takes many forms. Kids are capable of understanding much more than most adults give them credit. My 5 and 7 year old seem to understand so I bet your 9 year old will be just fine as well. Love and acceptance are easy to teach.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have to agree with the OP. I feel the choice by ESPN wasn't the best. There are many more courageous people who deserved the award. I do also feel they caved to political correctness.

And, WDW never started gay days, nor do they endorse it. It's not a Disney sponsored event.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

This is the main statement that needs to be understood : "There are many more courageous people who deserved the award." I also think that this could've been a private ordeal (Bruce to Kaitlin) rather than stick it all over the national news.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."