Quantcast What is your Disney "Breaking Point"? - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

My kids are grown now, and it is very easy for me to see a difference in their world view from travelling as opposed to their friends who have never been out of our home city. Even when they were in school, I think they connected more with things in their history class that they have seen instead of just hearing the stories - the hole at Ground Zero, the Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall, underwater Icebergs,, etc.

We loved our Disney trips, but there is more to life than just Disney.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our older kids (now 18 & 15) have been to about half of the states, but never out of the country. My oldest is now getting ready to go on a mission, and he could go almost anywhere in the world. I'm really, really hoping that he gets sent to a foreign country, but he could just as easily get sent to Cleveland.

In a few years, my brother hopes to go on sabbatical to Bern, Switzerland. If he does, man, we're going to go visit for a few weeks.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    My kids are grown now, and it is very easy for me to see a difference in their world view from travelling as opposed to their friends who have never been out of our home city. Even when they were in school, I think they connected more with things in their history class that they have seen instead of just hearing the stories - the hole at Ground Zero, the Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall, underwater Icebergs,, etc.

We loved our Disney trips, but there is more to life than just Disney.
    That was how we were raised as well. I have lived in 5 different states and have visited over 30 other states, as well as various Canadian cities and Paris, France. This has never stopped us from loving our trips to Disney, but it is balanced with trips to other places. I will continue to do it that way as I am fortunate to have the resources to do that.

While I agree that Epcot is not the same as visiting any of the actual countries, it does provides you with a place to fondly remember your visits to those countries. So, we are going to eat in France our first night this upcoming Food and Wine trip to reminisce about our trip to Paris last year by eating in a restaurant in the France pavilion. Having eaten at bistros and higher end restaurants in Paris and Reims, I can say the menu at both of the France sit down restaurants is a good representation of menus over there.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    That was how we were raised as well. I have lived in 5 different states and have visited over 30 other states, as well as various Canadian cities and Paris, France. This has never stopped us from loving our trips to Disney, but it is balanced with trips to other places. I will continue to do it that way as I am fortunate to have the resources to do that.

While I agree that Epcot is not the same as visiting any of the actual countries, it does provides you with a place to fondly remember your visits to those countries. So, we are going to eat in France our first night this upcoming Food and Wine trip to reminisce about our trip to Paris last year by eating in a restaurant in the France pavilion. Having eaten at bistros and higher end restaurants in Paris and Reims, I can say the menu at both of the France sit down restaurants is a good representation of menus over there.
    I like what you said about EPCOT
    I do agree that EPCOT isn't a substitute for the real thing but it can be a great spring board to teach and introduce children to other cultures.
    I know for us personally we do not have the resources to travel much, especially out of country. And I'm okay with that.
    The good news is even if people do not leave their 'own back yard', they can still be aware of the bigger world and the various cultures and diversity. I always strive to teach my children about the bigger world.

Since we live so close to Disney we do go a lot, thanks to the payment plan. I use it [EPCOT] as an opportunity for my sons. We talk to cast members in each country about where they live and what it's like. We do the passport book quit a bit. We look things up at home. We often pick a foreign place and learn about it, have some type of food that they eat there, listen to the traditional music of that place, etc.

My sons love that. They love learning. And in some ways, they know more about other countries than some of their peer at school because we take the time to arm chair travel.
    So even though we do love Disney and go on many day trips, and we have not travel outside of the USA, doesn't mean we don't know less or not as exposed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Similarly, I can say that the Japan area does a pretty good job on capturing numerous aspects of being in Japan, a place I have spent over 2 years living in. It is also fun to be able to switch to using Japanese language a bit without the 13 hour flight and jet lag .

If you want closer to more authentic Japanese as far as the food goes..... eat at Tokyo Dining... not Teppan Edo (which is a creation for Westerners -like Benihana- and is a corruption of some of the actual Japanese "cook at your table" kind of traditions like okonomiyaki places). Try the flights of sake they have ('sake' is actually more often called "Nihonshu" in Japanese).

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Similarly, I can say that the Japan area does a pretty good job on capturing numerous aspects of being in Japan, a place I have spent over 2 years living in. It is also fun to be able to switch to using Japanese language a bit without the 13 hour flight and jet lag .

If you want closer to more authentic Japanese as far as the food goes..... eat at Tokyo Dining... not Teppan Edo (which is a creation for Westerners -like Benihana- and is a corruption of some of the actual Japanese "cook at your table" kind of traditions like okonomiyaki places). Try the flights of sake they have ('sake' is actually more often called "Nihonshu" in Japanese).

best,

..................john
    Thanks for the info. We've always eaten in Teppan just because we like it [though we know it is heavily Westernized]. Sometime this summer I think I'll go over for lunch and try TD!

Post Thanks / Like

Similarly, I can say that the Japan area does a pretty good job on capturing numerous aspects of being in Japan
    Especially all the souvenirs that say "made in china" on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    Especially all the souvenirs that say "made in china" on the bottom.
    Well then.... maybe you wouldn't buy them and would look for the more authentic stuff... which IS there, huh?

And you can find EXACTLY that same kind of Chinese import stuff IN Japan... so that is absolutely authentic. 同じです。

Just like Teppan Edo... some stuff is not very 'Japanese'.

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Breaking point😯

We shall see if our family has one....
    We are in the sunshine state as we speak, and DH had me book a night for tomorrow. This is after we spent two nights/three days at universals portifino resort. He didn't get the feeling he gets from WDW. So we're surprising the kids!
    We're staying at a resort we've yet to stay at, and going when it's crazy hot and busy. We usually go in early May or mid October, so we're spoiled!

Currently I'm not a fan of FP+ at all it takes away from your visit to a park.....your booking a seat on a ride or show....like booking a flight!

ADRs are crazy too these days, some days we like to go with the flow, walk up and eat. Last week we did that at DTD, it was great in we went to BoatHouse(new seafood place). We had a great night!

I feel like a travel agent lately, I'm booking everything...I thought vacations were supposed to be relaxing...not so preplanned!
    Oh well my DH loves it, our kids do as well, and I do too,...so we go and make more memories😊. Good with the not so good
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I'll have a full breaking point, but I'm not thrilled with a lot of what Disney has been doing lately. This is especially true at EPCOT and with FP+.

I'm more likely to diversify the trips, even those to Florida. We'll still visit Disney but may spend fewer days there, go to other parks, and visit the beach. At some point, even if we have the money, the price just becomes too high to spend all week there (or more).

I also agree with the others who've talked about the importance of going to a variety of places on their trips with kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought tickets for the parks and for the first time in over 25 years we did not get length of stay tickets. We got just a a 4 day pass and will use the rest of the vacation to go other places in Florida.
    I hit my breaking point when I realized I missed the 60 day window. Now i feel like the ship left the port and i am hanging on to the anchor. I just am not the type of person that wants to book a ride 2 months out. I like being able to go with the flow on vacation. I make one ADR a vacation and the rest I just wing.
    Spontaneity rules over planning drools!
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Cinderelley,

From one past experience, I can likely tell you that if you take section #3 of your last posting there, clean it up into paragraphs and add an intro and a conclusion... and send that off to Disney Guest Services ........ something WILL get done to 'make that right'.

It certainly does not fix the moment....... but in my experience when something like this happens... and they learn about it...... they DO care.

best,

................john
    I think I have reached the point where I can probably sit down and write a coherent letter about this experience. I was just too upset about it before. I don't think they can "make it right" but perhaps it will help others in the future. Do you think it is too late?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

No... not at all too late.

I have found them very responsive. Can't hurt anything.... could only help yourself or others or both.

best,

.............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

A while back, I posted in this thread that my kids and I have not reached our Disney Breaking Point but that my husband, most likely, has. Well? I'm pleased (and surprised) to report that yesterday, my husband shocked us all by saying that he'd like me to plan a visit for this November! I was on the phone to a booking agent within seconds of his proclamation! haha! So? we're booked at The Wilderness Lodge for a week in early November! Exciting!
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I think I have reached the point where I can probably sit down and write a coherent letter about this experience. I was just too upset about it before. I don't think they can "make it right" but perhaps it will help others in the future. Do you think it is too late?
    It's never too late. I would encourage you to write everything in detail and send it now. Disney needs to hear about your experience. In my experience, they have always done something to try and make it right. Do you happen to remember her name? It always helps to include all the details you can remember. And try to be organized and polite.

Good luck, and I hope they respond! Your experience sounds terrible, and definitely needs to be addressed.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: