Quantcast Disneyland

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland

Live in NY state and am planning our "once in a lifetime" trip to Disneyland in Dec.(we are both "seniors"). If anyone has ever been...please bombard me with suggestions, tips and recommendations.
    I guess they do not have the "magic bands;" does anyone know if you can make dinner reservations online?
    WDW has spoiled us but figured we should see the "land" where Walt actually lived.
    Thank you.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We are making that trip for the first time in Sept, I am really worried I will be disappointed. Just like you we are spoiled to Disney World. But I need to see the land at least once. Can't find the information like you can about the world. It is a little harder to make plans.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a whole section on Disneyland on theis message board- just scroll down a little further.

Here are my top suggestions.

1. Get a park hopper. These two parks are just across a courtyard and it's very easy to go back and forth between them several times.
    2. Dining reservations can be made 60 days out. For atmosphere I'd suggest blue bayou. I've had mixed reviews of the food, though. The food at the quick service locations is really excellent. MUCH better than disney world. The only place that I would NOT recommend is the Chinese place on pacific wharf in California adventure.
    3. While you probably will want to stay on property since this is your only trip to Disneyland don't dismiss the offsite hotels. Some of them have a shorter walk to the parks than the disney hotels.

If you have any questions let me know but be sure to check out the intercot boards.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Some really great disneyland videos on youtube . My favorites are randomland, justinscarred, adam the woo, and daily woo.
    I'm planning a trip in 2016. I can't imagine any disappointments, its such an historic place. Also , so much to see and do in southern cali. If a person had time a trip to san francisco to the disney family museum would be awesome.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at all three of the Disneyland hotels most recently last December we stay at the Grand Californian and got an upgrade with a view looking over the park. We have also stayed at the Howard Johnson's which was really terrific.

If you are looking for places to eat we like the Carnation Cafe (we have done breakfast and lunch), we love Napa Rose but our all time favorite is Steakhouse 55 (we have done breakfast and dinner) In the downtown Disney section one of our favorite places to eat is Naples Ristorante, simply yummy.

Yes you can make advanced reservations for dining up to 60 days out.

You are going to have a blast! Like I said we went in December of 2014 and loved all the decorations and had a blast. Make sure you stop at the bakery and get a ginger bread man, simply yummy. Don't forget to see the lighting of Small World...simply will take your breath away.

Feel free to send me a private message and I will try to answer any of your questions.
    Dana
    --------------------------------------------------------

Dec 1997-Contemporary
    Dec 1999-Poly
    Dec 2001-Poly concierge
    June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2003-Poly concierge
    Dec 2005-Poly concierge
    Dec 2007-Poly concierge
    Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2009-Poly concierge
    Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
    Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
    September 2012- DisneyLand Paradise Pier
    January 2014-Grand Floridian
    December 2014-Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Reservations for restaurants really are not needed at DLR. You may want them for a Friday or Saturday night if you don't want to wait but even then you can get into most places with a short wait. The exceptions may be Blue Bayou (personally, I think it's overrated) and some of the in park restaurants at California Adventure that do the World of Color dining experiences. You will want reservations for those if you want that package. Otherwise, you will be fine just walking up or calling once you are onsite 1-2 days in advance. It's not the rat race that WDW is.

I highly recommend the Grand Californian for its proximity to the parks and central Downtown Disney location. It keeps the extra walking to a minimum.

As for the parks, old FP is still in play there. No MDE or making ride reservations necessary. Enjoy that while it lasts!

Also in December, you will be able to enjoy the holiday festivities including the parade, as a regular park guest. No Very Merry Christmas party nonsense here! It is a wonderful time to go. Don't miss the special holiday overlay at It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion.

Definitely get park hoppers. I believe all multi day tickets are hoppers anyway. You can hold fast passes in both parks simultaneously, so take advantage and hop away! I recommend 3-5 full days to take it all in and even then, don't expect to see everything. Disneyland manages to cram in more rides and attractions into the two parks than you will find in all 4 at WDW.

Overall, have fun! Don't compare (unless you come to the conclusion that DL is better!) . You will have a wonderful time enjoying the Original, and bonus for going during the 60th anniversary celebration. There will be even more to see!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hotels

Planned on staying at a Disney hotel but heard there are non-Disney hotels with a shorter walk to the parks. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, which hotels ? Also, is entrance to the parks easily accessible ?
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicholsbears View Post

Planned on staying at a Disney hotel but heard there are non-Disney hotels with a shorter walk to the parks. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, which hotels ? Also, is entrance to the parks easily accessible ?
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips.
    The Howard Johnson is a great hotel, and located right outside the parks. 5 min walk at most! There's a great pool there (especially for kids) and the hotel is very clean and friendly. It's more convenient than the Paradise Pier hotel, in my opinion.
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

The Grand Californian is the actual closest. Second place would be a 3 way tie among Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana Inn and Desert Inn & Suites. Fairfield Inn is also slightly closer than HoJo. This summer a new Courtyard by Marriott will be opening and it will be adjacent to the Fairfield but also slightly closer to DL main entrance. If you use Google Maps and type in Disneyland, then look to the right of the two parks, you can see Harbor Blvd. That is the main drag where all the walkable off site hotels are. If you use satellite view and zoom way in, the names of the hotels will be visible.

Honestly, though, if this is a once in a lifetime only trip, do yourself a favor and choose either the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel. You will not regret it.

Also, FYI, there is an entrance for the GC hotel right inside California Adventure so you can go back to your hotel without even leaving the park. It is awesome!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland Hotel

Thanks. We were considering the Disneyland Hotel with a park view (like you said; once in a lifetime). Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestion...please keep them coming. Looking forward to the Christmas decorations and the 60th Anniv. celebration.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland Hotel

Does anyone know if the Disneyland hotels have the buy a souvenier mug and use it "free" for the duration of your stay program ?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say please be sure to make adrs for your stay. We were there in December 2014 and had made adrs and was glad we did when we saw many people get angry because they did not have an adr and had to wait. When we went to Carnation Cafe the wait was up to an hour, wondering if it is going to be the same this year due to the 60th celebration.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adr

Thanks for the tip. It seems like everyone else on here is saying how you don't need adr's at Disneyland like you absolutely need at WDW.
    Appreciate every tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the Disneyland hotels have the buy a souvenier mug and use it "free" for the duration of your stay program ?
    Thanks.
    Not at Disneyland Resort.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. It seems like everyone else on here is saying how you don't need adr's at Disneyland like you absolutely need at WDW.
    Appreciate every tip.
    You need to take in to consideration the time of your visit. Christmas season is the busiest and there are going to be lines and crowds everywhere - attractions, restaurants, parades, shows, bathrooms. My guess about the 60th celebration is that the beginning, especially since it feeds in to the summer season, will be fairly crowded. I'm sure things will simmer down a bit after summer, as usual. These are times when you might be better off making some reservations.

My suggestion for dining reservations during a typical visit is that if you have a restaurant you really want to visit and you don't mind locking yourself in to a time and date, go ahead and make a reservation. I never plan each and every meal. Usually just a few special meals if I am there for more than one day. If I get hungry and the restaurant I approach has a long wait it is easy to walk to another one, visit one of the many places offering counter service, or sit down, relax, and wait.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thr biggest difference at DL is that restaurants will actually let you wait for a table. They won't turn yout away if you don't have an ADR. The majority of guests at DLR do NOT make ADRs. It will be like any major chain restaurant back home. If you go to the cheesecake factory at 7pm on a Saturday, you will encounter a long wait. Same at DLR.

My advice is to eat lunch at either 11am or 2pm. Eat dinner at either 5pm or 9pm. If you avoid the peak dining hours, you won't have to wait too long most places.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

My advice is to eat lunch at either 11am or 2pm. Eat dinner at either 5pm or 9pm. If you avoid the peak dining hours, you won't have to wait too long most places.
    I am not trying to cause an argument and we did not make adrs for all our meals but last year in December the crowds were crazy. Our first meal was at Carnation Cafe for 11am and I was so happy we did an adr because there was an hour wait without an adr. Could have been a fluke but December is a busy month and I just think peace of mind goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dtootsie42 View Post
    I am not trying to cause an argument and we did not make adrs for all our meals but last year in December the crowds were crazy. Our first meal was at Carnation Cafe for 11am and I was so happy we did an adr because there was an hour wait without an adr. Could have been a fluke but December is a busy month and I just think peace of mind goes a long way.
    Well, as mentioned December is very busy. I guess an hour wait isn't really something I think is a big deal. 45 min is the average we wait anywhere we go on a Saturday night in our local area. I was just trying to point out that even without an ADR, you can still actually eat at the restaurants, unlike at WDW where they won't even let you wait when they are booked up, and where you have t make ADRs 180 days in advance.

OP, for your information, you can make ADRs at DL at the 90 days out point, if you wish.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, as mentioned December is very busy. I guess an hour wait isn't really something I think is a big deal. 45 min is the average we wait anywhere we go on a Saturday night in our local area. I was just trying to point out that even without an ADR, you can still actually eat at the restaurants, unlike at WDW where they won't even let you wait when they are booked up, and where you have t make ADRs 180 days in advance.

OP, for your information, you can make ADRs at DL at the 90 days out point, if you wish.
    Totally understand, on the weekends here the wait is usually over an hour closer to two. Just thought since the OP said this is a once in a life time trip that having adrs might be a good idea. We were really happy we did make adrs last year, something we have not done in the past (with the exception of Napa and Steakhouse), because the crowds were happily crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks.

Thanks again for all the tips...very much appreciated.
    Is there a special Christmas parade like at WDW ? Anything special at night like the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: