Quantcast Guest Treatment from Team Members - Bad Experience

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guest Treatment from Team Members - Bad Experience

So my DH and I went to Disney for a few days and the Universal/IoA for one. We found a HUGE difference in the treatment of guests from Disney to Universal parks.

For starters - I had a wallet - small wristlet that I brought on Rockin Rollercoaster, ToT and every Disney ride with no problem. In Universal, I brought it onto Escape from Gringotts (I had on a previous trip brought it and held during ride with strap around wrist with no issue). I was told my team member as she checked the harness on the ride that it was too big and must go in a pocket. I didn't have big enough pockets but I tried to put it in my short pocket and she said, "it has to go actually IN a pocket. Are you with him?" and pointed to my hubby next to me. So I handed it to my DH and he put it in his pocket. I don't mind putting it in a locker or wherever necessary but I found the treatment from team members to guests very snippy and quick. Not just to me - but guests in general.

Getting on the Dragon Game rollercoaster was like trying to get onto Air Force One. We entered the line to team members literally yelling "EVERYTHING goes in a locker. Phones, wallets, pockets COMPLETELY empty. If you don't, you'll be turned away and loose your spot in line." Now this was just at the entrance. Then we walk further up to metal detectors. I had a bracelet so I then got flagged like you would at an airport. It was very intense for a ride no different than Alpengeist in Busch Gardens. I wondered if there had been a previous incident on this ride that has caused them to create such an intense queue experience with metal detectors and all? It's the only reason I could think for the team members to be acting like that... It was bizarre.

The general atmosphere was just so different than Disney. I enjoyed the Harry Potter World/Diagon Alley experience but will stick with just Disney parks next time.

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have noticed a difference in the general demeanor of the park employees between Disney and Universal. Not necessarily rudeness exactly, but there's just something different.

It has always seemed to me that they are a little over the top on the whole what you can take on rides thing. I purposely wear clothing with deep pockets and bring very little into the Universal parks for this reason.

If not for the HP aspect, I would be skipping Universal and choosing to add SeaWorld as a side trip from Disney myself.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar experience this past October. I found it to be a hassle to constantly have to put everything in a locker. We had one particularly bad experience while getting in line for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. DH went to get in line, forgetting he had his hat on, so as we approached the entrance a team member told him he could not wear the hat, not a big deal, he took it off and put it in his cargo short pocket and the team member told him it must go in a locker. We go put it in a locker real quick and come back to the line and the team member basically accused DH of still having the hat in his pocket, which he did not, and actually reached to grab his pocket. I was shocked and DH was very annoyed to say the least. It really put us in a bad mood.
    Lauren

AKL ('04)
    BLT ('11)
    CBR ('09, '15)
    CSR ('03, '11, '16)
    POFQ ('06, '14)
    POLY ('12 - Honeymoon)
    WL ('05, '08, '13)
    BWI ('15)
    Disney Cruise ('15)
    Disneyland Hotel ('08, '14)

Next Up: Beach Club- Oct 2016

Post Thanks / Like

We have never encountered any extremely rude Team Members during any of our Universal trips. I would say we didn't find them to be any different than Disney CMs. Actually, and this is definitely because we've been to Disney more and have had more interactions with Disney CMs, but I can come up with more stories about less than stellar CMs at Disney than I can at Universal.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I completely understand why many of the Universal attractions don't allow carry on items. Those rides are much wilder than any of the "thrill" rides in WDW. I imagine it would be more of a pain to have to wait for them to fish a lost item out of a ride than to stow it away in a locker. I'm not sure why this would come as a surprise to most people. From our very first trip to Universal I was aware that for many of the attractions I'd have to put our things in a locker. There were no surprises there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

There have been a couple of incidents resulting in guest injury at Universal Orlando. One guest lost an eye on the dragon challenge ride (back before it was HP land). Another I believe suffered a very severe ankle break after a loose camera hit him on the same ride.

So, yes, there is a good reason for this locker policy.

But, I agree that it is annoying to have to always be going to the lockers and I agree that the team members at Universal are not usually very kind.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We were NOT impressed with Universal, when, a few years ago, we spent a day there. We actually ended our day earlier than expected ( 3 hours earlier than we planned) and headed back to WDW.

I doubt we'll ever go to Universal again. We'll keep going where the magic is
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    There have been a couple of incidents resulting in guest injury at Universal Orlando. One guest lost an eye on the dragon challenge ride (back before it was HP land). Another I believe suffered a very severe ankle break after a loose camera hit him on the same ride.

So, yes, there is a good reason for this locker policy.

But, I agree that it is annoying to have to always be going to the lockers and I agree that the team members at Universal are not usually very kind.
    I completely understand that, and while I found it to be a hassle, we did follow the rule. What I took issue with was a team member grabbing at my husband's pocket and accusing him of lying. I have never experienced anything like this while in WDW.
    Lauren

AKL ('04)
    BLT ('11)
    CBR ('09, '15)
    CSR ('03, '11, '16)
    POFQ ('06, '14)
    POLY ('12 - Honeymoon)
    WL ('05, '08, '13)
    BWI ('15)
    Disney Cruise ('15)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy89 View Post
    I completely understand that, and while I found it to be a hassle, we did follow the rule. What I took issue with was a team member grabbing at my husband's pocket and accusing him of lying. I have never experienced anything like this while in WDW.

Same - I have no problem putting away items in a locker. But the way the team members spoke (or yelled) at guests and treated guests was inexcusable and unnecessary.

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, I've never had any issues at Universal
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSpirit02 View Post
    Same - I have no problem putting away items in a locker. But the way the team members spoke (or yelled) at guests and treated guests was inexcusable and unnecessary.
    I agree that guests should not be subjected to that kind of treatment at UO. However, since the tightened safety measures (including the metal detectors) were put in place only recently, I wonder if some of the behavior you witnessed was a result of stressed team members trying to enforce a new and difficult (and unpopular) policy. Honestly, it has to be next to impossible to enforce, and as lines get even longer as a result, I'm sure guests start to lose their temper too. It's similar to the complaints heard about WDW cast members when Fastpass+ was first being implemented. CM's were trying to do their job and follow policy, but I'm sure it was extremely stressful and they didn't always handle things the way they should have.

My son and I were at Universal in mid-March, just before all this started and we had a great time. The Universal staff seemed very friendly and helpful to us, certainly on par with what we experienced with CM's at Disney World. If anything, they seemed a little more laid back, as in less inclined to bark orders. Of course, we didn't have the lines that I've been seeing now in the news for attractions like Dragon Challenge. We had the Express Pass too, so most of the rides were a breeze to get on. The one complaint that I would have was the lack of available lockers with Gringott's and Forbidden Journey. They should have put more in and not crammed them into tiny cramped areas.

BTW, there is a lot of talk on a Universal blog that I subscribe to that the new safety measures are partly due to the increase in selfie sticks being brought into the parks, many for the express purpose of recording footage on rides where their use would potentially be very dangerous. I think maybe the Universal PTB decided to be proactive before an accident happened.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

TMs are under stress due to this recent decision to install metal detectors at the coasters, and the rule where everything must be put in a locker...

If people didn't act like animals and throw things cause they think it is funny while on a coaster, then we wouldn't have these issues...

And, to piggyback Nat, someone's iPhone also flew out of their hands almost hitting a child in the head, and several other people, standing by the exit to Dragon Challenge...

A guest in Universal Hollywood brought a gun into the park and committed suicide by the Despicable Me attraction...

These actions are for tightened security until a better system can be developed and instituted....

So yes, the TMs are under a lot of stress and pressure...

I find the TMs in Universal to be much better than Disney's CMs lately... Last trip, I encounter a record number (in all my trips) of rude CMs while being surprised at the drastic change of the attitudes of TMs in Universal... Much better than Disney lately...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Universal has gone nutso with the no loose articles policy. I understand not vbeing able to physically hold something in your hands while riding and I agree with that policy-most amusement parks have this rule. However, if I have cargo shorts with a pocket that buttons shut, or zips closed, why must everything come out of my pocket?! I have never experienced this policy at any other amusment park across the country and all if them have rides similar and of the same nature as Universal.

Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, Kings Doninion-all have rides that are as intense, or in a lot of cases, more intense than anything Universal has and they don't make me completely empty my pockets that fasen shut.

Metal dectors at rides? Give me a break.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Universal has gone nutso with the no loose articles policy. I understand not vbeing able to physically hold something in your hands while riding and I agree with that policy-most amusement parks have this rule. However, if I have cargo shorts with a pocket that buttons shut, or zips closed, why must everything come out of my pocket?! I have never experienced this policy at any other amusment park across the country and all if them have rides similar and of the same nature as Universal.

Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, Kings Doninion-all have rides that are as intense, or in a lot of cases, more intense than anything Universal has and they don't make me completely empty my pockets that fasen shut.

Metal dectors at rides? Give me a break.
    I agree with you. Although to be fair, many theme parks have metal detectors at the park entrances. Six Flags does, at least. There has to be more going on that we don't know about.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I' m sorry but I really don't think that is a fair assessment. It is posted all over the place in both parks that you can not take anything that doesn't fit in your pocket on many attractions. We have also talked about this in detail on many, many threads on INTERCOT. To be upset that you had to follow the rules isn't fair. The rules are for safety purposes, not to get guests upset.

I personally do not see a difference in employees at either parks. I have been going to Universal since 1992 and only remember having two staff members that I thought acted totally uninterested in helping me. I just returned from Disney last week and ran into the rudest cast member at the Dinosaur ride in AK. He was so bad I almost went to guest services but didn't bother. I also had an uninterested cast member at the MK. You will run into bad employees not matter where you are and Disney and Universal are no exceptions.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I' m sorry but I really don't think that is a fair assessment. It is posted all over the place in both parks that you can not take anything that doesn't fit in your pocket on many attractions. We have also talked about this in detail on many, many threads on INTERCOT. To be upset that you had to follow the rules isn't fair. The rules are for safety purposes, not to get guests upset.

I personally do not see a difference in employees at either parks. I have been going to Universal since 1992 and only remember having two staff members that I thought acted totally uninterested in helping me. I just returned from Disney last week and ran into the rudest cast member at the Dinosaur ride in AK. He was so bad I almost went to guest services but didn't bother. I also had an uninterested cast member at the MK. You will run into bad employees not matter where you are and Disney and Universal are no exceptions.

I agree with you that bad employees can be anywhere. Fortunately in my experiences I have only faced a really over-the-top rude employee once and it happened to be at Universal. Obviously, different people will have different experiences. I am not saying that I don't think I should have to follow the rule, in fact, we did follow it and had no problem until someone went to touch my husband's pants pockets because he thought he was lying. I'm sorry but that is going too far. I'm pretty sure they should not be allowed to grab at you. I also understand that people have bad days and dealing with people can be difficult at times (I work in retail) and hopefully this was an isolated incidence. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy my time at Universal and their Harry Potter section was incredible and I am sure at some point we will go back!
    Lauren

AKL ('04)
    BLT ('11)
    CBR ('09, '15)
    CSR ('03, '11, '16)
    POFQ ('06, '14)
    POLY ('12 - Honeymoon)
    WL ('05, '08, '13)
    BWI ('15)
    Disney Cruise ('15)

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity - Why don't they just do metal detectors going into the parks instead of just particular rides?

I'd personally rather go through the metal detector at the start where the bag checks are and know everyone has been checked for dangerous items than only people going on one or two rides. If someone is bringing something extremely dangerous in (thinking the Despicable Me case mentioned above for example), these things can then be prevented early and people may be less inclined to bring stuff in like that if it's a universal check not just for a ride here or there.

Also, then the TMs can just do friendly reminders just to put items in lockers and skip the flagging down/intensity bits to get on a ride here or there.

Lastly - Would cubbies by the ride exit not be an easy alternative as well (doesn't Kali River Rapids do this) for rides that have extreme nothing in pocket rules? I realise it could create crowding but I don't recall problems at Busch Gardens Williamsburg or other similar places that I never needed a locker for a wallet. They just had us place things by an exit or in a cubby as you get off the ride car.

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Metal detectors at the entrance don't prevent cell phones and cameras in pockets though, at the rides, and that is the issue at hand. They are not worried about guns and knives so much as cameras and phones going flying. The new rule is nothing like that in pockets. No keys, cameras, phones, etc. Just about all you are allowed to have is money, credit cards, and chapstick.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

It's not really any different than when CMs have to yell at people to not stop in walkways during parades or fireworks. They're not being rude, they just have to be forceful to get the point across but if you've ever sat and watched them doing that job there are certainly plenty of guests who think the CM is being rude to them by enforcing the rules.

And it's definitely needed at Universal, with the injuries they've had from people who lied and said they didn't have anything in their pockets that later went flying and injured guests. I'm sure every one of those people thought "Oh it can never fly out of my pocket" and sure enough, it did. The only safe and fair thing to do in that situation is to make everyone empty everything and be extra suspicious if it looks like someone has something in their pocket.

I think the quality of Team Members at Universal and quality of Cast Members at Disney is very similar and in both instances those front-line employees do a remarkable job of being polite and helpful to guests for what are basically minimum wage positions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Metal detectors at the entrance don't prevent cell phones and cameras in pockets though, at the rides, and that is the issue at hand. They are not worried about guns and knives so much as cameras and phones going flying. The new rule is nothing like that in pockets. No keys, cameras, phones, etc. Just about all you are allowed to have is money, credit cards, and chapstick.
    And in some cases, people are not being allowed to bring on even that.

It would be nice if Universal would provide more of an explanation as to why these new safety measures are being tested/implemented on rides. I think that would go a long way in ensuring rider cooperation.The more I read about this the more convinced I am that it's focused on restricting cell phone use (and selfie sticks) on rides.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

my thought is:

they cannot trust that anything you have in your pockets will not be removed during the ride. Example: You go through with cell phone zipped in pocket. Ride starts, you go up the hill, take phone out to selfie the ride. Phone can then fly out of your hands.

(Look at the amount of people who cannot follow "no flash photography".)

So since people cannot be trusted to follow simple rules, stricter ones had to be put in place and enforced. Metal Detectors at the ride are part of the enforcement.

Nanc
    Nanci Rossetti
    Vacation Specialist
    Magical Journeys
    http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com
    The Magic begins with YOU!
    The Official Travel Agency of INTERCOT.com

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: