Quantcast Flying in to Tampa - need advice to get to WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flying in to Tampa - need advice to get to WDW

We are looking at a spring break trip, and it appears that we can save some money by flying into TPA as opposed to MCO directly (about $100 round trip per person and we have 5 people). So, the question becomes what is our best option for getting from TPA to WDW. Here are my options as far as I know:

1) Pay for a limo or shuttle type transfer to WDW. I feel this may be the more expensive of two choices.

2) Rent a car to get to WDW, and then rent another car the day we leave to get back to TPA.

So, if option 2 is the direction I am headed, the question becomes is there a way to do this and which rental company to use. My search seems to indicate that Alamo has an onsite WDW office so it seems we could do this, but curious if anyone has had luck with this.

We are planning on a 7 night 8 day stay, so I don't want to spend the week rate on a car as I don't usually use a car on property. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
    -- Gary --

First trip - June 19-25, 2002 FW cabins
    Second Trip - Nov 30- Dec 6 2004 Pop Century
    ThirdTrip - Nov 29 - Dec 8 2005 at the POLY!!!
    Fourth Trip - Mar 24 -31 2008, CBR
    Fifth Trip - March 19 - 25, 2011 at the CBR

Next trip - March 19 -25 2015 at CBR again! YIPPEE!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually fly into and out of Tampa when going to WDW as my Mom lived in Tampa until recently. We usually rented the car for the week, but we like to drive to most of the parks and to resorts for meals. I definitely recommend renting a car over using a car service, as it will be pretty expensive.

Alamo is at the Car Care Center, but you can also look at other companies which have locations on property

• National which has a desk at the Dolphin
    • Dollar has a desk at the Wyndham LBV - DTD hotel
    • Budget has a desk at the Doubletree Suites in DTD
    • Avis has a desk at the DTD Hilton

We have rented from National at the Dolphin and it was really simple and convenient.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

First things first. I love Tampa's airport!

Renting a car is probably the best way to go. You probably have considered this, but I'd plan for renting something a little bigger than a car. Budget space for your suitcases.

Another thing to note: I4 can be somewhat of an awful experience, especially during rush hour.

Another suggestion may be to travel via Greyhound. You'll probably have to take a cab to/from the airport/station. I looked at the prices (with the general info that you're traveling over spring break) and the prices are reasonable for a round trip. There are also no stops between Tampa and Orlando, so you won't be losing time on the road.

That being said, I still think your best option is to rent a car/van. You can get a car at the airport and drop it off on or near Disney property. My best suggestion is to be mindful of I4 rush hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Forget everything I just wrote. You may want to look into Red Coach. It looks like they offer a bus from Tampa's airport to several locations in Orlando (including Disney resorts!)

See how that looks!
    Last edited by Strmchsr; 01-02-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: TOS - Link

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Alamo to drop off at the Car Care Center. They shuttle you to and from your hotel, no problem. I'm assuming the other on-site companies do the same.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that there is a much higher charge for a rental car to return it to another facility besides the one you rented it from. Its only about 75 minutes from Tampa to WDW. A week rental, even on Negotiator sites, will run you about $250 for the time. You need to weigh in whether it is worth a $50 savings per person. A small car will not cover 5 people and luggage as well. You will need to move up to an SUV size vehicle which will be even more than $250 for the week.

My advice would be to fly into MCO.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of limo or town car transfer, what's the fare to fly into Sanford?

Jan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: