Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

And now I'm kicking myself for not riding Maelstrom when we were there in August.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So Sad

One of our favorites.
    Nov15-MVMCP; Mar12-Poly!; Dec11-MVMCP; Dec10-MVMCP; Oct10-CBR; May10-WL; Oct07-10k Race4Taste; Jul07; May07-5k Minnie; Jan07; Dec06-MVMCP; Oct06-ASM MNSSHP; Feb06-Poly!; Dec04; Nov02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I know I probably come off a bit condescending and maybe even pompous about it. I don't really intend to say that others are wrong or don't get it, ultimately. It is my supreme disappointment in the way things have been (and continue to be) going. If I had never thought about EPCOT Center as being more than a gimmick to turn a buck, I would not have the feelings and reactions I have had. It came along at a point in my life, I guess, where I bought in.

I really shouldn't be more concerned about it than the actual owners of it are. There's no real point. I appreciate the responses. For the most part, they have been thought provoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    You weren't at all condescending or pompous. You just sounded really, really depressed about it.

I agree you didn't sound condescending or pompous to me either.
    I think most of us who truly love Disney and go year after year do so because for more than the rides. We go for how it makes us feel. We go for what we remember. We go for the vision and the dream. And when change hits something you love, it is very very hard.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    And now I'm kicking myself for not riding Maelstrom when we were there in August.
    Yes, my kids were sad when I told them the news. DS10 actually got teary eyed. They want to ride it again before the change. Unfortunately because we have a trip to the mountains that weekend, I just don't see us getting back up there before the ride closes.

I wish there would have been more notice of the ride closure, I would have planned something...even just a day trip....
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit I don't really understand the popular frenzy over Anna & Elsa and the whole Frozen "phenomenon". But I fully support Disney's attempts to capitalize on the movie's popularity.

That being said, I am somewhat disappointed, not so much that they decided to put this attraction in Epcot, (I understand that replacing the "Maelstrom" attraction was the easiest and fastest way for capitalize for Disney to capitalize on Frozen), No, I am mostly disappointed like many others, that the different kind of magic that was, and could have been for the future of the World Showcase, that being an exposition of cultures from around the world, is being ignored or replaced. Frozen may be set in a fictional place that is somewhat like Norway, but that doesn't justify this attraction being in the World Showcase.

I'll give you this analogy. I loved the setting of Cars, and Radiator Springs was a fantastic reminder of the post-war western tourist towns and the traveling automobile culture of mid-20th-century United States. But does that mean that a Cars attraction should replace the American Adventure in the U.S. Pavilion? Of course not. Cars is a story of an adventure in America, and I have no doubt it that a Radiator Springs type ride would be wildly popular, but it would have no business in that pavilion. The same goes for Frozen in Norway.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I'll give you this analogy. I loved the setting of Cars, and Radiator Springs was a fantastic reminder of the post-war western tourist towns and the traveling automobile culture of mid-20th-century United States. But does that mean that a Cars attraction should replace the American Adventure in the U.S. Pavilion? Of course not. Cars is a story of an adventure in America, and I have no doubt it that a Radiator Springs type ride would be wildly popular, but it would have no business in that pavilion. The same goes for Frozen in Norway.
    I LOVE this analogy and totally agree with you. My fear is that there are lots of people who don't agree and might even support a Cars-type attraction to replace the "boring" American Adventure.

I'm reminded of the scene in "Broadcast News" where the news producer shows conference attendees video of dominos toppling that was carried by all the major news networks. She laments that television news is becoming nothing but entertainment. The attendees applaud the video, and the dismayed producer says sarcastically, "You're lucky you love it -- you're going to get a lot more just like it." And someone in the audience yells, "Good!"
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom

Perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    If nothing else, this thread goes to show it's different strokes for different folks

I do "get" all sides, I just may not agree.

At the end of the day to be honest, I'm just thankful to be able to even have the opportunity to go to the parks and take my children. As we know with life things can change and that may not always be possible.
    In a world of chaos and sadness, I'm glad I've gotten the chance to go regardless of what is there.

It could be way worse
    Well said.

I mourned the loss of the Pooh Play area in MK - I was probably the only one. But my family really enjoyed that area and I have fond memories of my little girl playing there while we ate a nice quiet lunch. I was bummed my son would not get to do it as well. Everyone else rejoiced over what they felt was wasted space going towards a ride. Same with the Rose Garden that will be missing with the center hub refurb. I'm hoping that there will still be a good picture spot as my family has gotten a family photo done in the Rose Garden every year practically.

But I've learned to Let it Go.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    Well said.

I mourned the loss of the Pooh Play area in MK - I was probably the only one. But my family really enjoyed that area and I have fond memories of my little girl playing there while we ate a nice quiet lunch. I was bummed my son would not get to do it as well. Everyone else rejoiced over what they felt was wasted space going towards a ride. Same with the Rose Garden that will be missing with the center hub refurb. I'm hoping that there will still be a good picture spot as my family has gotten a family photo done in the Rose Garden every year practically.

But I've learned to Let it Go.
    That's a good point. I'm obviously a good bit older, and I lamented the loss of the 20,000 Leagues under the Sea attraction from my youth, which you guessed it, sat in the same spot as the Winnie the Pooh play area you are nostalgic about. But I understand Disney's reasons for "tanking" 20K; it was incredibly slow loading and the subs leaked a lot. Still, It was one of my favorites as a teenager. My kids never got to experience it and of course they really don't get it when I try to explain what they're missing; "That sounds totally lame, Dad." Yet, I'm sure there will be an attraction or two that is no longer around when they eventually have kids to bring to WDW. Already, my oldest son remembers the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter with fondness. He only got to ride it once on his first trip to WDW, but it made a great impression on him. (Science Fiction geek). I'll never forget the look of dismay on his face on our second trip when he found out it was replaced. He was a very disappointed 10-year old. Such is life.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm sort of surprised so many folks have a hard time with the addition of characters to World Showcase.

While I understand that historically Epcot hasn't had characters, let's remember that it's not like Epcot is Walt's creation or something. There's no history here beyond just what the Imagineers came up with in the absence of Walt's leadership. Walt wanted Epcot to be a real live city, so I mean if you want to nitpick the park has never been what it was supposed to be according to the vision of the company's founder.

All I know is today's Epcot is dull. While I enjoy it for the atmosphere, it desperately needs some life. I'm just glad Disney is putting some money into it.

Although, I'm hesitant to get too excited until I see the finished product. I have a bad feeling we're going to get The Three Caballeros Part II.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Although, I'm hesitant to get too excited until I see the finished product. I have a bad feeling we're going to get The Three Caballeros Part II.
    Oh my! Let's hope not!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Rumored budget is around 70 million. Doesn't sound like part 2 to me....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Rumored budget is around 70 million. Doesn't sound like part 2 to me....
    Wow ... that almost inspired me to say something very family unfriendly that starts with "Holy ....... "

Here's hoping that's true, because for $70 mil ... WOW again!!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... that almost inspired me to say something very family unfriendly that starts with "Holy ....... "

Like Holy Hockey Sticks, or Holy Hot Cakes, or Holy... well you get the idea. But yes 70 mil...
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's hoping that's true, because for $70 mil ... WOW again!!

When John told me that, my reaction started with Holy as well. Maybe not as bad as what you were going to say, but bad enough to be bleeped here. I've got text to prove it.

As for this 'argument', I'm done. I think this is setting a precedent I don't like, but I'm obviously in the minority (and don't have youngins').

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    BUT, that's not what the majority of people want today. They want to be be shown something for entertainment rather than being stimulated to think or dream or interact. It's why so many people love reality television and follow what celebrities do rather than going out and doing amazing things with their own lives. Epcot is just following the masses. Therefore we get celebrity hosts and cartoon overlays on what used to be educational and immersive pavilions. Now they'll replace a ride based on the history and folklore of a nation with a sing-along ride based on a cartoon. The dumbing down has been going on for awhile, this is just another step in that direction and it's not unexpected. The reality is Disney's job is to get bodies through the turnstiles, not to highlight new technologies, that was always going to be a conflict between the original vision for Epcot and the realities of running a theme park business.

You have to wonder what Norwegians would think about the portrayal of their country changing to a Frozen themed ride.
    I 100% agree with you.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is that Disney is making billions lately - Avengers, Capt America, Frozen - but are doing these ticky-tacky park upgrades.
    A second Dumbo doesn't thrill me. A bland "upgrade" to Test-Track. A "frozen" ride in the middle of World Showcase seems desperate. When are they going to make a major WELL THOUGHT OUT upgrade?
    A Star Wars Land? A Marvel Land? Look at Google Earth. There is tons of land around the parks. Why not put frozen behind the rest of Fantasy Land?
    Nov15-MVMCP; Mar12-Poly!; Dec11-MVMCP; Dec10-MVMCP; Oct10-CBR; May10-WL; Oct07-10k Race4Taste; Jul07; May07-5k Minnie; Jan07; Dec06-MVMCP; Oct06-ASM MNSSHP; Feb06-Poly!; Dec04; Nov02

Post Thanks / Like

While I understand that historically Epcot hasn't had characters, let's remember that it's not like Epcot is Walt's creation or something.
    I don't think anyone has played the Walt card much in this discussion.

There's no history here beyond just what the Imagineers came up with in the absence of Walt's leadership.
    True, but the park also opened about 16 years after Walt died. It was Tom Staggs who invoked the words of Walt Disney to justify his change, not those of us who prefer the classic focus/mission of EPCOT Center.

All I know is today's Epcot is dull. While I enjoy it for the atmosphere, it desperately needs some life. I'm just glad Disney is putting some money into it.
    It is dull because the park has been in decline thematically and in sheer number of attractions for many years. Not because of the lack of attractions involving movie characters, but because Disney is largely incapable of driving the concepts the park was built on. It is also pretty universally recognized that they struggle with Tomorrowland as well. They're good at Fantasyland and are, in a way, turning everything into that.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, some 70 million. That is some serious restructuring money!!

Ian...Holy Sheep....Holy Shirts?

I'm not sure about the Cars & Radiator Springs analogy [this is purely my opinion now ]
    Mainly because, they are not doing away with Norway itself. As for Maelstrom within Norway, to be honest, it really wasn't all that educational. Aside from the first scene from its ancient roots, realistically there are no "trolls" in real life [aside from the internet ]. Polar Bears? Sure, but it's not like they are roaming around the populated areas. The oil rig? Okay it's one faucet of their economy.
    To be honest I'm a bit perplexed because in the past so many slam the movie at the end which honestly though outdated, held the biggest educational point in Norway. But people wanted that gone or they always skipped it.

So Radiator Springs, meh while I agree. At the same time in my own opinion again, The American Pavilion in general are kind of a let down to really capture America. And the restaurant? Are we really known only as a fast food joint. I think of all the food items, America is terrible. There are so many different food types here in America you think they would have made a nice sit down restaurant with American flavors from soul food to tofu dishes to Philly cheese steaks, etc.
    As for AA, in my opinion again, it's boring. Except for the song at the end which does capture the essence of America, the pop up sets and speeches get old.

I think EPCOT WS should have set a precedence with America and then worked forward. If we want educational cultural we need to go beyond the facades of the countries and have some type of show in each country that does capture the educational portion. Kind of like at Christmas when they do the Santas around the world.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    To be honest I'm a bit perplexed because in the past so many slam the movie at the end which honestly though outdated, held the biggest educational point in Norway. But people wanted that gone or they always skipped it.
    Keep in mind that a new film was made several years ago that Disney refused, as I recall.

I think EPCOT WS should have set a precedence with America and then worked forward. If we want educational cultural we need to go beyond the facades of the countries and have some type of show in each country that does capture the educational portion.
    True, they have not done this as well as they could have. At this point, it sounds like Disney (as well as many of its guests) would prefer to just give up. I've not argued that Disney has done this well, I've argued against finding new ways to do it poorly.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: